Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > The Iberian Peninsula
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

The treasures of Narvarra: Oxtail Estofado

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The treasures of Narvarra: Oxtail Estofado
    Posted: 22 February 2013 at 13:19

In the ancient kingdom of Navarra, there is alot to discover, valleys chockful of Bidasoa trees or Roncesvalles and the Irati Forest similar to the northern California national protected forests; Roncal, where Roncal cheese is produced since the Roman times, charming medieval  valleys Estella, Sangüesa or Ujue, farmlands as emerald as Ireland, cardoon, asparagus and artichoke dotted fields, plus the artistic agenda, the museums, castles, monasteries, wine estates and olive trees. 

The renowned city of Pamplona, is the capital, made famous by the American Writer, Ernest Hemmingway ( film: The Sun Also Rises - Tyrone Power & Eva Gardner )and the yearly celebration held July 6th, called San Fermín, the Running of the Bulls. The Museum of Navarra is located in the ancient hospital Nuestro Señora de La Misericordia, in the historic district and is built into the ancient fortress walls of the city. 

The Museum´s assets include a permanent collection laden with historical art, from Pre-historic to today. The Museo Catedralico Diocesano hosts religious art works including Romanical and Gothic 14th century pieces, paintings and documents dating back to IX and X Centuries. 

This province, is on the cross roads of the Santiago Way, the Jacobean Route. The unforgettable Inn that we stayed at: The Pilgrim in English or El Peregrino is a small country hotel owned by Gabriel Stivalo and his wife Nina Sedano. The Inn is located in the village of Puente de La Reina, the Queen´s Bridge. This village houses a Romanic Church called Santa Maria de Eunate. 

There are 7 double rooms and 5 suites with internet access and a restaurant on the premises and is positioned 15 - 18 kilometres from Pamplona City enroute to Logroño, La Rioja going west. 

To digress to the key subject, gastronomy; Spiced braised Oxtail is one of the most important dishes of this region. This is beef grazing turf, and while embellished for centuries with folklore, and traditional customs, this dish is slowly simmered in classic style. 

Here is the recipe ...

Navarran spiced braised oxtail (estofado de rabo de toro)

• 3 oxtails ( or beef tails ) sliced into their natural sections
  • 1/4 cup Evoo
  • 4 ounces of Iberian Ham or prosciutto di parma sliced finely into viruta strips
  • 1 large onion minced
  • 2 cloves of garlic minced
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 leek diced finely
  • 1 carrot peeled and diced finely
  • 1 tblsp. Smoked Paprika Sweet - Pimentón de La Vera Dulce 
  • 1 dried red tiny chili pepper ( guindilla ) or red chili pepper flakes
  • 1 cinammon stick or 1 tsp. ground cinammon
  • 1/2 tsp. ground crushed black peppercorns
  • 3 cloves
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 bottle Red Navrran or La Rioja Wine
  • salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
  • 2 lbs. fresh juicy over ripe red tomatoes - peeled and skinned and then, minced 

PROCEDURE... 

1) After the oxtails or beef tails are rinsed and patted dry; Heat some Evoo in a heavy Dutch style Oven; and make sure you have a Lid; and sauté the oxtails until golden on both sides & remove and tent to keep warm; then, add the Ham, onion, garlic, leek, and carrot and gently simmer until all the veggies soften.

2) Now caramelize the veggies a bit, however, do not brown and add the peeled and skinned and minced tomatoes ( 2 pounds ) and spices, bay leaf and the red wine, and let it all bubble up until the tomato becomes a salsa .

3) Now, the return the oxtail to the cazuela or Dutch oven and add enough beef broth, if necessary, to submerge the oxtails in the sauce. Cover and simmer on very low slow flame.

4) The meat should simmer very slowly for approx. 3 hours

5) Check from time to time

6) Serve with hot crusty rustic bread and the same red wine, you have cooked the oxtails with

*** potatoes are served with this dish apart as side dish 

Enjoy;

Margaux

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Sponsored Links

gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2013 at 18:16
    Another recipe that sounds delicious...I simply don't know how I can cook all of the recipes here, though I can try Wink

Thanks for sharing...sounds delicious!
Enjoy The Food!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2013 at 01:09
Dan, Good Morning,

Thank you for your feedback and compliments.

I personally don´t know  either as I only embark on these culinary projects on the weekends, and during the week, keep it simply simple due to lack of time ...

This oxtail version was wonderful.

Kindest,
Margi.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2013 at 17:33
Margi - this is sure to be excellent ~ it looks very similar to my estofado de carne de toro, and has a very similar backstory.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2013 at 00:31
Tas,

Thanks for your feedback Tas.  Yes, I believe it does remind me of your´s ...

It is a countryside rural version ...

Have nice wkend.
Margi.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2013 at 12:57
Margi - I really enjoyed your recipe for rabos de toro San Fermín last year:

So, I am very eager to try another one, to see if I can improve on my oxtail-braising skills.

I do believe that your Navarran recipe above is definitely the recipe I shall try this year for your oxtail challenge:

This will give the the opportunity to participate in the challenge, to try something new, and also to create a new pictorial for the forum.

I will try to do this on July 6th, but it might possibly be the week after; regardless, I shall do it, and am looking forward to it. Big smile

Thank you for sharing!

Ron
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2013 at 09:32
TAS,

WE ARE ON FOR SATURDAY THE 6th !!!

I shall get all I need for Saturday. And I got a new CANON !!! So, I shall take fotos, both with CANON & SAMSUNG GALAXY TABLET

However, I do wish all of you AT FOTW, A WONDERFUL HOLIDAY ...

Margi
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2013 at 13:18
Margi - I am sure that it will be excellent!

I found a local butcher in town selling LOCALLY-GROWN beef oxtails for 3$ each, which is much better than the 10.50$ each that I paid last year.

I already had one (from our own family beef) in the freezer, so I will pick up two (or possibly three) more, which should be just right for this Navarran treasure!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2013 at 13:37
Sounds divine and surely it is paradise for the palate.

Saturday is a truly gigantic celebration festive weekend in Navarra.

Have a great evening.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2013 at 10:38
I had some good luck with my upcoming oxtail project. When I got home from work the other day, I double-checked the tempranillo that I have (Lucky Duck label); I had originally thought that it was from South America, but I discovered that it is from Spain! Happy day!

Then, to make things even better, I discovered that I had more oxtail than I thought, so I now have 5 or 6 of them, ALL LOCALLY GROWN, and of really nice quality ~ so I can make this Navarran oxtail, which is similar to my estofado de carne de toro ~ and then I will have enough oxtail left over to make another oxtail dish at a later date. happy day!

I'm looking forward to enjoying the Spanish tempranillo with my Navarran oxtail meal; it's planned for July 6th, but it might be July 7th, depending on how things go.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2013 at 11:07
TAS,

THIS IS FANSTASTIC NEWS !!! The 3 récipes are very similar as we have studied all of them.

Yes, we shall see too; the 6th or the 7th !!!

Have to go get the Veggies and the Ripe red tomatoes ... I have the meat and a very wonderful wine: JULIAN CHIVITE BODEGAS FROM NAVARRA; AN OAK AGED RED 2009 ...

( I know it is exported )

HAVE GREAT WEEKEND.

MY FIRST PLATE OR STARTER; IS FRESH ASPARRAGUS WHITE OR GREEN ...
THE OX TAIL
DESSERT: WE ENJOY FRESH FRUIT SEASONAL: PEACHES, APRICOTS, PERSIAN MELON; WHICH IS CALLED PIEL DE SAPO --- AND FRESH CHERRIES & STRAWBERRIES ...

ESPRESSO ON ICE ...

THEN, WE CAN HAVE A SWEET TOOTH PLEASURE OR A ROSÉ FROM NAVARRA ... THEY ARE FAMOUS FOR THEIR ROSADOS ( ROSÉ CHILLED WINES ) ... STILL AND SPARKLING ...

Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2013 at 02:15
Thank you Margi.
Your description of Navarra immediately made me imagine paintings by El Greco a personal favourite renaissance artist. I know he is more associated with Toledo, not Madrid or Pamplona. But the history you describe sounds like an area I would love to travel to one day.

I never realised there was so much prestige and tradition attached to the humble oxtail!
Here it is a 'weird' cut that most people ignore.
I have a couple amongst my dearest friends who are like yourself - city. I introduced them to oxtail at one of my medieval living history camps - braised in a potjiekos over an open fire. It's traditionally been my introduction to cooking over an open fire (level 1.01). The conclusion to that lesson being "of course cast iron cookware was rare and expensive before the 18th century, most people cooked with ceramic cookware in the 12th century.".

Sorry... I rambled
Well they are so impressed with oxtail! I can't wait to invite them to dinner over your traditional recipe above! And we will talk and learn the traditions and history Big smile

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2013 at 05:43
Ann,

A true pleasure for your feedback...

Yes, it is quite a humble meat here in the rurals and quite a delicacy in the Capital of Madrid ...

8 Euros a kilo from my wonderful friend & Butcher Joaquin of many years.

It was a bit tough to get, and he always comes through for us. It is quite a FUEGO LENTO; SLOW LOW FLAME in clay & mud earthenware crockery cookware utensil.

Have taken numerous fotos ... So, shall be uploading a bit later; as we eat Mediterranean Spanish hours during weekend; 14.30 - 15.00 hours. We eat a very energetic breakfast and have 2 espressos by 11.30am ...

I would love to prepare over an open fire, however, this is quite a feat !!!

Thanks so much for your contribution. I also wanted to mention, we do use Cinammon verses the Anise, and would love to try your récipe too for the next seasonal RABO DE TORO ( oxtail ) FESTIVITIES.

Have wonderful wkend.
Margaux.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2013 at 07:11
TAS;

We employed a 2009 Oak Aged Navarran Red called; PRINCIPE DE LA PAZ; THE PRINCE OF PEACE - COSECHA, 2009 ( THE HARVEST YEAR AUTUMN 2009), for the marinating for 1 hour ... Which our friend and Butcher: JOAQUIN FERNANDO SUGGESTED we do for optimized flavor.

CARNECERIA JOAQUIN FERNANDO
MADRID CAPITAL

It is marinated for 1/2 hour to 1 hour ( 2 hours max. ) and then, the dish is ready for SLOW LOW FLAME ...

PHOTOS COMING FOR PROCESSES BEFORE THE FINAL PREPARATION IS SLOW LOW FLAME SIMMERED & SERVED ON PLATES ...

Have a wonderful SAN FERMIN,
MARGAUX.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2013 at 08:01
HERE IS MY PREPARATION OF RABO DE TORO DE NAVARRA ... 

HERE IS A PHOTO OF THE SPICES, THOUGH, THE GARLIC CONTAINER, IS NOT AJO; IT IS PEPPERCORNS OF DIFFERENT COLORS; THE CINAMMON STICKS & THE DRY SPICES, WE USE ARE PYRENEE PROVENÇAL WHICH ARE USED IN NAVARRA; THYME, ROSEMARY, OREGANO, PARSLEY & MARJORAM ... A SNIPPET ... FOR FLAVOR ... THE PALE SKY BLUE TIN ( CAN ) IS PIMENTÓN DE LA VERA, DULCE; SWEET SMOKED PAPRIKA FROM LA VERA, EXTREMADURA FACTORY ...

HERE ARE  THE FRESH PRODUCTS FOR THE SAUCE & WAS DIVIDED FOR THE MARINADE OF THE OXTAILS ...

AND HERE ARE THE OXTAILS ( DEL NAVARRA ) ...

HERE IS A PHOTO OF THE MARINATING PROCESS OF THE OXTAIL & MINCED / DICED VERY FINELY VEGGIES IN THE NAVARRAN RED WINE 2009 OAK AGED CASKS, EL PRINCIPE DE LA PAZ ... THE PRINCE OF PEACE ...

HERE ARE THE OXTAIL, MARINATED AND READY TO DUST IN BASQUE FLOUR & READY TO SAUTÉ IN EVOO WITH VEGGIES FIRST, AND THEN, BRAISED SLOW LOW FLAME, FUEGO LENTO FOR 2 HOURS TO 3 HRS. APPROX. 

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2013 at 09:05

TAS, & LADIES & GENTLEMEN,

AFTER OUR APERITIF OF THE LOVELIEST FRESHLY CAUGHT MÁLAGUEÑA ANCHOVIES CALLED BOQUERONES, WE HAVE LITTLE APPETITE, FOR OXTAIL ... SO, IT IS MARINATED AND SHALL BE PREPARED FOR SUNDAY LUNCH ... WRAPPED INDIVIDUALLY AND IN REFRIGERATOR ...

THE FOTOS OF THE SIMMERING ON SLOW LOW FLAME, SHALL BE TAKEN ON SUNDAY EARLY MORNING, BEFORE THE " DEATH VALLEY CALIFORNIA " DRYNESS OVERTAKES US HERE IN MADRID ...

THE OXTAIL AROMAS FROM THE CINAMMON STICK, ORANGE AND LEMON ZEST AND SPICES & OF COURSE, SMOKED SWEET LA VERA PIMENTON & NAVARRAN 2009 OAK AGED CRIANZA RED WINE ARE AMAZING ...

WE ARE LOOKING VERY FORWARD TO OUR LUNCH TOMORROW; AND SHALL JUST SERVE WITH A SALAD; AS IT IS JUST TOO TOO DRY ... TEMPS ARE AVERAGE; 30 CENTIGRADE ... BUT EXTREMELY DRY ...

HAVE A LOVELY WEEKEND.
MARGI.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2013 at 19:06
I have this braising in the oven at this very moment; I didn't run into any real unexpected pitfalls, and I am expecting this to be a success.

Looking forward to enjoying this Navarran meal, in commemoration of the Running of the Bulls and the San Fermin Festival! I took photos with my new camera and will be posting a full pictorial on a separate thread.

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2013 at 00:33
TAS,

I look very forward to seeing your photos. Our´s was so fragrant from the orange & lemon zest, peppercorns too ... and of course the cinammon stick and the Red Wine.

It surely had compelling aromas ...

We shall be having our´s today for lunch ... just need to simmer on slow low flame, and bake a couple of large Jacks, in foil for a side. And a small salad ...

So, I will be pleased to hear all the marvelous details.

In agreement about the Spanish Tempranillo for the meal verses marinating. I am sure, all turned out fanstastic, and very NAVARRAN SAN FERMIN.

Have lovely Sunday.
Margaux.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2013 at 10:53
THE FINAL PHOTOS OF MARGAUX´s RABO DE TORO DE NAVARRA ... FOR SAN FERMIN ...

OUT OF THE OVEN:

AND READY FOR PLATING:

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2013 at 09:12
Looks great, Margi!

I'll post more, but this was indeed one of the best dishes I've yet made.

Full pictorial to follow, with photos, step-by-steps, reactions and so forth, on a separate thread, which I will link to this thread.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic