Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > The Iberian Peninsula
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

The treasures of Narvarra: Oxtail Estofado

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2013 at 06:38
Tas,

This dish melts in the mouth like butter ... and the texture, the fragrance and the simplicity coupled by complex savoury and condiments, the cinammon, citrus and the Navarran oak cast red wine, for sipping and the MARINATING ---

The taste profile of the oxtail recipe from EL PEREGRINO COUNTRY HOTEL & RESTAURANT, in PUENTE DE LA REINA, NAVARRA, a rural suburb outside of Pamplona City Limits, was the best we have had ...

The day I had prepared it was quite unlike Navarra, climate wise; more like the Sahara; and thus, we just ate the oxtail and some wonderful rustic bread ... No potatoes ...

We had promised to prepare the dish for San Fermin, for you !!! And did. However, it is truly much more wonderful in April - May when it is still quite cold in Navarra and the rest of Spain excluding the Canary Islands ( 7 ) ...

This is the Taurine Season excluding, Català ( Barcelona, Tarragona, Girona & Lérida where it is outlawed ).

The Cambero is just a marvel. The PUENTE DE LA REINA is a IX century Roman bridge is perfect working order. This country rural manor house hotel is on THE JACOBIAN ROUTE to SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA ... Truly beautiful region ...

Thanks again,

Margi.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2014 at 23:20
I am still working on getting the photos and write-up posted, but truly, this is a recipe that is a definite "keeper."

If you get the chance, give it a try - even better, try it NOW, while the Festival of San Fermin is still going on!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2014 at 23:07
Tas,

This is the best of oxtail dishes I have had in the 17 years that I have lived in Spain. I look forward to your Pictorial.

As a matter of fact, I would:

Re-copy the récipe and add some history, as you always do and post your photographs on A Number 2 Thread Of Same Title.

Otherwise it will get lost on this old long thread post.

Look forward to seeing it !

Have fun, it is a gorgeous dish !

Thank you.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 10:36
This is the best of the Oxtail dishes I have ever had in Spain ..  And I have had uncountable.

It was incredibly amazing !   Though I have had several,  with white wine, at 2  wonderful classic taverns, TABERNA ANTONIO SÁNCHEZ & TIMBLAES  which are also quite extraordinary too ..

Have a wonderful day.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2017 at 16:02
Finally, after so many false starts and delays, here is the pictorial that I wrote for this outstanding dish:

http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net/rabo-de-toro-de-puente-de-la-reina_topic4802.html

Enjoy!

Ron
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2018 at 16:17
Tas,  

Today is April 14th ( 12.15 am ) and San Isidro is on May 15th, so now I am deciding which Rabo de  Toro recipe should I prepare !

This is why, I had done a search for all of these amazing Oxtail recipes ..

All my best for a lovely weekend ..  

Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2018 at 20:52
Funny that this should come up now. I cooked an oxtail in my Instant Pot tonight. Came out nice and tender.
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2018 at 21:04
This has certainly captured my interest.  I rarely see oxtail, or beef shank for that matter, but I do see them from time to time.  I'd love to try this. 
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2018 at 07:07

Ron, 

Absolutely unforgettable .. 

Unfortunately, as all of us here had lost photographs from Photo Bucket, I shall check and see if I have these photographs on a PDF or 2 .. 

If I do, I shall send them to you ..  

Have a great weekend ..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic