Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Food Groups > Meats, Fish and Eggs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

"Egg McPuffins?"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Egg McPuffins?"
    Posted: 24 February 2013 at 10:15

I just tried this recipe that I got off Facebook. It was supposed to be an alternative to Egg McMuffins:

Materials:
- Eggs or egg beaters (I used beaters for even more simplicity)
- Muffin/cupcake pan
- Veggies/mix-ins of your choice

Instructions:
- Pour egg beaters (or beaten eggs) into greased muffin pan – fill 1/2 way
- Add toppings directly into eggs
- Bake for 375-degrees for 30 minutes

Once cooled, I just popped them into plastic bags so that I can grab them easily in the morning. Or, if you want them warmed up, just pop one or two in the microwave for 30-45 seconds. (Surprisingly, I didn’t mind them cold vs. warm.)”

I used regular chicken eggs and put cheese and a shake of Penzey’s Arizona Dreaming in them. I wish I had a picture of the results, because they were NOTHING like Egg McMuffins. They puffed up like popovers or soufflés, and got golden brown and crispy on the outside. They were delicious!

Next time I think I’ll try it with duck eggs. I’ve heard that they add “lift” to baked goods. Hmm…

Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2013 at 10:45
I like this! Thanks for posting!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2013 at 10:49
Those really sound great, Melissa. And just think of all the changes you can ring on them.

I have to admit, though, when I read the title I thought: why is she cooking eggs from Puffins? And is she going to the Antarctic to get them?

Reckon I haven't had enough coffee!
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2013 at 15:28
I was just being silly. :)
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2013 at 13:48
I tried it with duck eggs today. Delicious, but not all that different from the chicken version. I did take pictures, but right now I'm on my way out the door.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2013 at 18:08
Rod Franklin View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2013 at 18:25
Those look good!
Hungry
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2013 at 07:41
Thanks! Here's the inside: 
MarkR View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2013 at 07:58
That looks great!
Mark R
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2013 at 14:26
Thanks!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2013 at 03:05
Looks incredible Melissa....nice work!Clap
Go ahead...play with your food!
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2013 at 08:45
YUM!  Those do look like they would taste incredibly good, nice work!
Enjoy The Food!
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2013 at 11:05
That looks tasty! Nice job.
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2013 at 11:15
Melissa, Buenas tardes,

These look very tasty ...

Thanks for posting the photo ... It certainly is a great help, when living afar ... to see what each of us here is cooking or baking ...

I am going to try these, with regular large eggs and some lovely Basque Idiazabal cheese; and then, prepare a couple with  Iberian Ham or Italian Prosciutto & ripe cherry tomatoes ...

A photo says more than a thousand words ...

All my kindest regards.
Margi ...
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2013 at 11:09
Melissa - we're going to have these for supper tonight, with bacon and white cheddar ~

Looking forward to trying them!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2013 at 09:45
Thanks!

I haven't added anything but cheese + spices so far, so I'd be curious to know if they still puff up when you add meat, tomatoes, etc.
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2013 at 11:04
Yes they do! I made some using some leftover rib meat, and they puffed up no problem.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2013 at 11:10
Neat! How'd they taste with added meat?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2013 at 07:34
Melissa - They were excellent with bacon, and puffed up very well. We forgot to spray/grease the muffin pan, so they were pretty sticky, but delicious nonetheless! Clap
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 March 2013 at 14:33
Mm, thanks for the idea! Was there cheese in there too, or just bacon? (I'm wondering what caused the puffiness, since the picture of the original recipe didn't look like mine at all.)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic