Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Food Groups > Fruits, Nuts, Fungi and Vegetables
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Brussels Sprouts w/Goat Cheese Etc.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brussels Sprouts w/Goat Cheese Etc.
    Posted: 09 March 2013 at 20:00

Here’s another great dish from Susan Feniger’s Street Food. There’s no country of origin given. In fact, her commentary implies that it’s an original dish. Doesn’t matter much, as it tastes great.

We had it as a starter with the Tunisian Chicken Kebabs posted elsewhere.

Note that the recipe calls for shredding the sprouts with a mandolin or knife. I don’t know about you guys, but anyone who uses Brussels sprouts on a mandolin is braver than me.

This recipe makes a lot, so you might want to cut it in half unless you’re feeding a large group.

Brussels Sprouts with Goat Cheese, Apples, and Hazelnuts

½ cup hazelnuts

1 ½ tbls EVOO

1 lb Brussels sprouts

2 medium Granny Smith apples

1 tsp kosher salt

½ tsp black pepper

6 oz sort goat cheese broken in small pieces

Juice of 1 lemon (I added the zest as well)

Preheat oven to 350F. Spread hazelnuts on a baking sheet and toast them 5-10 minutes until they are roasted and slightly browned. Pour onto a clean dish towel and roll them to remove skins. Discard skins and chop the nuts.

Shave the sprouts on a mandolin or with a knife. Peel, seed, and coarsely chop the apples.

Heat the oil in a large pan over medium-high heat. Add the sprouts, apples, and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until sprouts are slightly browned on the edges, 5-7 minutes. Add the hazelnuts, goat cheese and lemon juice. Toss together and remove from the heat. Serve immediately.

Sponsored Links

Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2013 at 00:02

Brook, Good Morning,

Firstly, according to www.brussel-sprouts.com ,  the brussel sprout belongs to the Gemmifera Group of cabbages, and it is stated, that the Romans had cultivated them in Italy.

Then, also mentioned, they were cultivated in the 1200s in Belgium; and in the very early 1900s in California ...

This is a lovely recipe for Brussel Sprouts ... Thanks for posting ... They have an enormous amount of health benefits ... The Farmer´s Market here has them fresh ...

Shall pair them with your Tunisian Chicken Kebabs ...

Very nice combination with hazelnuts, goat cheese and apple. Lovely.

Marge.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2013 at 00:59
Well now...I'm a Brussel sprouts lover from way back so you know that this is automatically number1 on my hit list.

Thanks Brook!
Go ahead...play with your food!
africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2013 at 01:26
this looks like a great summer dish just to sit on the balcony with a good white chilled  wine .
thanks
Ahron
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2013 at 01:30

Ahron,

I have found that with Green Asparagus, White Asparagus, Artichokes, Brussel Sprouts and Cardoon, that Rosé sparkling or still wines, pair truly lovely. A Pinot Noir chilled ...

Which white wines do you sip with these challenging veggies ?

Thanks for your feedback in advance; and have lovely Sunday.
Margi.
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2013 at 03:06
well Margi i love a wine from the riebeek valley in the cape wine-lands .
it is called Montino it is light slightly Sparkling got a great fruity flavor and it is slightly  sweet  .
if you add a goat cheese to the veggies or any salty cheese it will give you a Celebration of flavors to die for.
this is the wine .

Ahron
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2013 at 03:58

Ahron,

Thank you so much for sending me the Link on Rie Beek Cellars ... Fascinating ... It seems to have a similar profile to the Basque lightly sparkling white Txacoli ... Pronounced CHA KO LI ...

I am going to go over to El Corté Inglés and take a look at their South African Section and my wine shop, one of the oldest in Madrid, and see what he has in his South African wine Section; take some notes; and post you a note ...

Pinot Noir Cava pairs fairly well with challenging green bitter vegetables and field greens ...

However, I am very adventurous when it comes to wines, and having a Wine Taster´s Certification, called Una Licencia de Los Catadores ( catar = to taste ), one of my greatest pleasures is to wine taste, from lands beyond Iberia ...

Thanks again;
Margi.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2013 at 04:47

Ahron,

LOOKS LOVELY ... THANKS FOR THE WINE RECOMMENDATION ...  

Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2013 at 05:00
yup this is the one .
Ahron
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2013 at 05:08

Thanks Ahron ... Shall enquire Monday on availability ...

Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2013 at 05:19
if not send me a PM i will see if i can send you a box of 6
Ahron
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2013 at 05:23
Ahron,

So kind of you, truly appreciate the offer ...

Thanks so much ...

I believe you know, I am huge fan of Stellenback Red Oak Aged Wines ...

I know we once discussed Stellenback reds ... Perhaps, when I finish my April editorial, I can go through the South Africa Section, and find the name of this red --- I had in NYC that I loved so much ...

M.
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2013 at 07:25
Well now...I'm a Brussel sprouts lover from way back .....

Wish I could say the same, Dave. For most of our lives both Friend Wife and I hated them. But we kept trying them, because we felt that we should like them, even though we didn't. After all, we ate just about every other form of cabbage with relish.

Then, three or four years back, everything clicked. Tried one particular recipe and became afficionadoes. Now we eat them often, prepared all sorts of ways.

But, until I develop kevlar fingertips, there's no way I'd shave them on a mandoline.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2013 at 00:46
I believe I'd just halve them and saute them like I do the sprouts with garlic and parmesan, but the addition of the apples and goat cheese seems to be a sure-fire winner to me. Not sure about the availability of hazelnuts locally though...may have to use slivered almonds instead.
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2013 at 07:02
I don't think halving them will work quite the same, in this case, Dave. Think in terms of it being a tossed salad, with the sprouts subbing for lettuce.

Shaving (or thin slicing) is time consuming, no question. But the final results were worthwhile.

No reason I can think of that almonds wouldn't work. Or perhaps Brazil nuts if you can find them.  

Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2013 at 01:03
Originally posted by HistoricFoodie HistoricFoodie wrote:

I don't think halving them will work quite the same, in this case, Dave. Think in terms of it being a tossed salad, with the sprouts subbing for lettuce.

Shaving (or thin slicing) is time consuming, no question. But the final results were worthwhile.

No reason I can think of that almonds wouldn't work. Or perhaps Brazil nuts if you can find them.  

Well, I DO have a kevlar glove that works exceptionally well for an idiot using a mandoline, so I guess I'll just have to dig it out and give this one a shot.Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic