Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Food-Related Topics > Around the Kitchen Table
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

What's on the weekend menu?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2013 at 11:14
Tas Good Evening,

We are discussing this at this very moment ... Well, The Vet, just birthed a breech calf ( upside down with legs 1st ); so --- he would like to rest up and go out Saturday night ...

Since he is off, we would like to spend some quality time together ... and prepare a Sunday at home feast ...

Possibly an Italian feast with Ahron´s Marinara ... and / or a shrimp Risotto or Pappardelli, a thick ribbon pasta with shrimp and Marinara ... Or Shrimp Scampi ... and a lovely Caprese Salad; as my Cheese Monger was able to get me some Italian Water Buffalo Mozzarella and I have some fresh Basil and Tomatoes ... Or a SOPHIA LOREN SALAD ... This is Arugula, Walnuts, Pear Slices, Italian Asiago & Shrimp ... with Modena, Evoo and fresh Rasberries ... or other berry available ...   

Let´s see ... We are going to enjoy a lovely walk, and have a couple of rounds of wine and tapas, on an open air café ... 

The Vet said, this was a tough " baby bull " ... 

HAVE LOVELY WKEND.
RIBS SOUND LOVELY.
Kind regards.
Margaux.

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Sponsored Links

Rod Franklin View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2013 at 14:55
Menudo Rojo. 
Hungry
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2013 at 11:51

Since, both the Vet and I were anxious to get in some shopping today, and temperatures had dropped drastically ( yuck ), we had a lite bite; and here are the photos of the Antipasti ...

PHOTO 1:  INSALATA DI CAPRESE:  This is an Italian Salad consisting very simply of Fresh Mozzarella di Bufala di Napoli, Campania, red fresh ripe tomato, fresh Genovese Basil, Modena and Evoo ...

PHOTO 2:  ANOTHER ITALIAN ANTIPASTI ITEM IS: ITALIAN GREEN OLIVES SERVED WITH AGED CURED REGGIANO PARMESANO ...

PHOTO 3:  A SIMPLE PASTA - PAPPARDELLE DI GAMBERRI

VERY SIMPLE WITH JUST A COUPLE OF TABLESPOONS OF AHRON´s MARINARA, EVOO, & FRESH SHRIMP & A CHIVE STEM RIBBON FOR COLOR ...

We got in our morning Italian Market Shopping, my hair appointment and the Vet needed some shoes ... So, there was not much time for a fussy pasta .. This is as simple as 1, 2, 3 !

HAVE LOVELY WKEND.
Margaux Cintrano.  
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2013 at 12:38
Very nice!
Hungry
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2013 at 14:31
Rod,

Thank you very much for the lovely compliment ... 

I have a much better handle photographically too, with Italian than Regional Spanish. 

It is interesting, no matter how hard I have tried to photograph a bean dish; they are NOT photogenic at all ... I believe bowl and spoon cuisine in general just is not photogenic ... 

I am getting better too --- with the new camera --- and lighting ... this is the key ... 

And less on plate, to arrange --- food style ...

I am working on it ... 

Thanks again, appreciate the compliment.

Have lovely wkend. 

Margaux.  

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2013 at 09:33
Well, due to the weather (rain AND snow!) and the fact that most of the week was devoted to doing some repairs on our car, I din't make any ribs; however, we were able to make a mess of wonderful, delicious pigs in a blanket:

If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2013 at 12:00
Alight, folks - it's Wednesday ~ time to start thinking about what to cook this weekend, I think!

One thing I would like to try is this simple-yet-delicious-looking recipe from Slovakia called kura na soli; it's simple, just chicken on a bed of salt ~ and it looks delicious. Here's the recipe, from Lubos at www.slovakcooking.com:

This is a true family recipe, as Lubos talks about his mother cooking this dish - as we all know, "mom's cooking" is almost always the best, so I'm looking forward to trying this. I may rub some garlic on the chicken, and add a little pepper on top, but other than that, I'll follow the recipe closely, serving the chicken with rice and an appropriate vegetable side dish. I'm really looking forward to this, as it's easy to see some wonderful, delicous things coming from this simple recipe.

I also have a bunch of country-style ribs in the freezer that really need to be used, so I will look for something to do with them this weekend. Normally, we barbecue them, and that might be what I do here, but I will see what I come up with between now and then; some sort of baking or roasting method might be good, too.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2013 at 23:23
As it turns out, I'm off on Friday, which gives me time to prepare a real meal.

I'm planning potato-enrobed cod, sweet & sour red cabbage, and a wilted spinach salad.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2013 at 08:19
Sounds interesting, Brook - Looking forward to hearing how it turns out.
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2013 at 11:24
Menudo Rojo. Rich, red and tasty. I wish the colors were more accurate as everything is sort of washed out looking in these pictures. A little lime squeezed on the tortillas, salted if desired and rolled and eaten with the soup. Maybe a little more lime squeezed in the soup. Maybe more heat too if you are inclined. Other veg could have been offered, such as cabbage or radish. This dish gets better after a few days in the cooler.

Hungry
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2013 at 11:28
Menudo scares the heck out of me, Rod, but you really, really make it look nice! Clap

Care to post the recipe etc. in Mexico and Central America? It looks like it would be a great addition to our archives! Beer
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2013 at 11:30
We'll see how it works out, Ron.

With this, you slice the spuds paper thin, tile them to form a sheet, and wrap the fish in it. Then pan fry the whole package.

I've seen the technique done, but haven't tried it myself. So it should be an interesting experiment.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2013 at 11:35
Rod,

Looks lovely. Thank you for sharing your photos. 

Kind regards.
Margaux.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2013 at 11:35
I was thinking that might be the technique, Brook ~ as I recall, the end reuslts looks "scaled" and is pretty cool.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2013 at 11:38
Planning a drive up to Castilla León ... a business and pleasure trip ... So, the next big pictorial for us is the Aztec Feast on May 5th.

We have bank holidays ( Spain´s Labor Day ) on May 1st and 2nd ... 

So, off we are ... I shall be on mobile cell and Tablet checking in ... 

Kindest regards. 

Margaux. 
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2013 at 11:53
Originally posted by TasunkaWitko TasunkaWitko wrote:

Care to post the recipe etc. in Mexico and Central AmericaBeer

I could do that. I only have the photos that you've seen though. I don't have a photo essay to submit, but if you're OK with that then I'll put it together.

I know folks who wouldn't try this, so I can understand your concern. I can only add that it really is good food and I'm not the only one who likes menudo.
Hungry
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2013 at 01:58
Originally posted by HistoricFoodie HistoricFoodie wrote:

We'll see how it works out, Ron.

With this, you slice the spuds paper thin, tile them to form a sheet, and wrap the fish in it. Then pan fry the whole package.

I've seen the technique done, but haven't tried it myself. So it should be an interesting experiment.

That sure does sound interesting Brook...looking forward to seeing the results.Thumbs Up
Go ahead...play with your food!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2013 at 08:57
thanks for posting the menudo, rod ~ like i said, the stuff scares me, but i fully recognise the value of the dish, and i believe you made a beautiful job of it! one of these days, i may try it ~

i'm beginning to think we should chip in to get brook a camera!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2013 at 01:40
Nothing on my weekend menu but yard workCensored

I'm way behind because of the lousy spring, but I guess everyone is in the same boat.
We do have some great local sales at Dave's market...chicken thighs, salmon steaks and country style ribs are all on sale, and Thomas's English muffins are buy one and get two free.

I'll be shopping for sure this morning, but next weekend is the time for me to get smoking...I ordered a new Traeger Texas grill yesterday and I should have it by Thursday to season and get cooking on.

I'm looking forward to doing a nice thread on that.
Go ahead...play with your food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2013 at 04:19
Hoser,

Congratulations on the new Traeger Texas Grill ... I look forward to seeing your stunning BBQ ... and future pictorial projects.

Always a pleasure.
Margaux. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 14>
  Share Topic