Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Food-Related Topics > Around the Kitchen Table
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

What's on the weekend menu?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2013 at 08:47
Looks good, Margi, and congratulations to Fil for giving it a try! Star

This marinated fish, called gravlax in Sweden, is a very old way to preserve fish - it tastes pretty good, too!

Great job! Thumbs Up
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2013 at 10:06
Tas,

It was a pleasure for the Palate ... Lovely ... Had a truly lovely delicate taste profile ...

Thanks for the compliment ... Finally, after being up to 5am, we were able to get the photos uploaded to photo bucket, and post 1 of them here for you and our Fotw Members ...

Kindest.
Margi.

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2013 at 10:25
I was happy to see that the photobucket is working for you again. I'm not sure what the problem was with it, but they have been changing things there lately, and I'm guessing that it has been a rough transition!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 08:06
Tas,

Now I can finally try and post the Gravalax in the next day or two ...

Shall be posting recipe of Chef Fran Amor Vara with it ...

Thanks for all your assistence; the problems we encountered hailed on both sides; Photo Bucket and my computer, because I was using Phil´s computer ( he has 2 ) for almost 4 days ---

Now, all is okay !!!  Retrograde planets maybe !  ha ha ha ... Glad Phil saved all my fotos on his extra computer !!!

Margi.
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 10:51
Think I'll defrost the tri-tips I have in the freezer and throw them in the bbq. 
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2013 at 10:56
We could use a good tri-tip pictorial, Mike! Beer
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 13:51
Well, I don't necessarily have any meals planned for the weekend, but I do have a few projects that I've been wanting to get around to but haven't yet been able to start.

First among them is a Slovak specialty called studenina. This is, simply, jellied pig's feet, very similar to what we call head cheese these days. This is a dish that my wife's grandmother would make for holidays and other events of note, and the Beautiful Mrs. Tas has fond memories of the stuff. I think it's pretty good, but I don't have the associated memories the way she does, so this will hopefully be a good product for her to enjoy. Basically, one simply simmers pig's feet - maybe with some hocks, too -along with onion, carrots and "a few other things" until the meat sloughs off the bones. Then, the meat is separated from the bones, which are discarded, and the mixture is poured into a bowl, pan or mold and then refrigerated so that it can set. The collagen/jellies from the bones, connective tissues, skin etc. will make this dish what it is.

Another project that I need to do is to smoke the dozen rainbow trout that we caught last week. They were cleaned and then frozen, so tonight I will thaw them and put them in a brine overnight/ Tomorrow, I'll smoke them in the Big Chif smoker that I will be acquiring today. I intend to use this opportunity to expand on and update my tutorial for smoking trout. A lot of the information in that tutorial reflects the nascent level of my knowledge and experience at the time, and it needs to be revised. This might also provide a good opportunity to add photos of the process, as well.

Finally, I need to start my Canadian bacon this weekend. I have a 7+-pound loin cryo vac'd in the fridge, and I'd just as soon take care of it. It's easy as heck to do, so no excuses. I'll start two 2-poundish-sections as Canadian bacon, and then I'll probably dedicate the third to trying the Serbian pork loin dish that I wanted to do last week.

That's what I'm looking at - 3, possibly 4 projects. Let's see how many I am able to do, along with a son graduating from high school and the various errands that are associated with that!
Rod Franklin View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 14:11
Busy, busy Tas...

I got tons of yard work to do. At 2 houses. Beer is on the menu.
Hungry
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 14:51
Tas,

I have a few photos to post of the Saffrón Caranaroli Risotto di Milanese we had for lunch ... and shall be playing about tomorrow ... A large salad, some shellfish and a roast piglet !  A gift from a Pig Farmer ... So since, it was fresly slaughtered, we decided to place in roasting pan and oven ...

Sunday, very light ... Left overs and a salad ...

Margaux.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 14:57
sounds like a couple of great pictorials there, margi ~ i need to learn how to do risotto! Big smile
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 15:09
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 15:18
FRESH OFF THE FISHING BOAT, WILD NORWEGIAN SALMON:
PHOTO 2:  THIS SLAB WAS IN PROCESS OF BEING BRUSHED TO REMOVE SEA SALT & SUGAR, AND THEN, IT WAS  BRUSHED VERY LIGHTLY WITH EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL ...

Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 16:09
Farmers' Market opens this weekend! :) What I'll do depends on what they have.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2013 at 16:32
Tas,

Thanks. Learning to prepare a risotto is alot simpler than making many of the traditional ethnic dishes that you prepare and alot easier than a Paella ...

It is relatively simple; however, you need Italian Risotto rice, from Lombardia ... Or it shall just be a Creamy Rice ... Carnaroli is much smaller in grain than even Italian Arborio also from Lombardia. I have made it with both; and in all honesty ... my paternal grandmom had a secret, she passed down ... Do not use water to sauté your rice !  Use whole cow milk ( regular milk ) ... Big difference.

The other thing, it is so versatile ... shellfish, sausage, asparragos, leeks, haricot verts, sweet fresh spring peas, roasted red bells, mushrooms, etcetra ...

Milanese is prepared with saffrón, onion, leek, garlic, salt, freshly ground pepper, milk, butter, Evoo and alot of stirring gently for 20 to 25 minutes approximately ...

We like it as a main course with a large salad ... It is a staple dish for us ...

To substitute a Pasta ... occasionally !!!

I shall post the fotos tomorrow morning ...

Thanks, Margi.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 11:40
Tas,

THE FINAL PLATING ( PHOTO 3 ) OF THE NORWEGIAN  MARINATED SALMON ... SLICED FINELY ON PLATE ...  It is absolutely delicious ...

Rod Franklin View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 12:10
That looks good to me!
Hungry
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 12:57
Rod,

It is wonderful ... and so easy ... It takes about 48 to 72 hours to marinate in a mixture of sea salt or kosher salt, white sugar, and if you wish to add fresh or dry dill and freshly ground peppercorns, red, green, white and black to taste ...

1) PREPARE A CRYSTAL CASSEROLE WITH A BED OF WELL COMBINED SALT & SUGAR
2) PLACE THE SALMON DOWN ON THE SALT BED
3) SPRINKLE YOUR HERBS & SPICES
4) COVER WITH ANOTHER LAYER OF THE SALT & SUGAR MIXTURE
5) WE HAD A WHOLE SALMON; AND THUS WE LAYERED LIKE A LASAGNE
6) TOP LAYER IS THE SALT MIXTURE
7) COVER WITH PLASTIC FILM WRAP AND PLACE IN REFRIGERATOR
8) IN 48 TO 72 HOURS, YOU SHALL HAVE " STUNNING " GRAVLAUX "

ENJOY; and thanks for compliment ...

Have lovely weekend.

Margi.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 09:07
Margi, your Norwegian salmon looks great! Do you plan to put all the photos and commentary together into a pictorial for the Scandinavian section? I think it turned out looking delicious, and it certainly deserves a place in its proper region of the world. I especially love that the salmon is, as you say, fresh off the boat - you guys are very lucky to have such resources so closely available to you.  My compliments to Fil for an excellent job! Thumbs Up

Well, everyone - it was a long and busy graduation weekend for us ~ I ended up needing to take yesterday off from work in order to tie up some loose ends and revcover! Having said that, I did get a few thngs done on my list above.

Saturday, I got two pork loin sections beginning their curing for Canadian bacon. The original loin was a little over 7.5 pounds, but after some careful trimming in order to remove excess fat and membrane, I ended up with the two Canadian bacon sections (just over two pounds each) and a pound's worth of  "good" trimmings that were in strip or chunk form, which we are also curing just for the heck of it to make some sort of "pig candy." I have no new photos, because the camera was being used for other purposes that day, but the basic process is pretty well documented here:

With this attempt, I used the appropriate amount (by weight) of curing agent from Mad Hunky Meats:

This curing agent, called "TennerQuack," is Mad Hunky's answer to Morton's "Tender Quick," and is available here at a great price:

Anyway, I always balance the curing salt with a sweet, usually dark brown sugar; this time, however, I added 3/4 of a cup of pure Canadian maple syrup to each loin, so that it could soak up all that wonderful NorthLand goodness and produce some hopefully beautiful Canadian bacon. I've been turning and massaging the ZipLock bags containing the loin sections, in order to evenly distribute the cure and the flavour; time will tell, but I feel pretty good about this project, right now.

Side note: the "pork candy" is curing in TQ and honey; because the pieces were much thinner than a full-on loin section, it's probably ready for smoking - but we simply haven't had time, yet.

Canadian bacon taken care of, I also had a section at the "thin" end of the loin that a little over a pound, which I butterflied in the Serbian fashion, pounded and stuffed for the Serbian pork loin posted by Brook, which is known as punjena vešalica. I didn't take any photos, since the loin was half the size of a full recipe, and I had a couple of minor execution issues that affected the looks but not the taste; having said that, I will be making this again before too much time passes, because it was flat-out good, delicious, wonderful, amazing and exemplary. I could continue with the adjectives, but you guys surely get my drift, I think. This was unbeliveably good, and I really think that it has the potential to be one of the best pork loin dishes a person could try. Here's the link:

Please, everyone, give this a shot - it's beautiful, juicy, wonderful stuff, full of smoky goodness and bursting with mouth-watering flavours. I cooked mine over charocal and wood on my Weber kettle; the sear on the outside was incredible; the tender-juicy inside was savory and delicious - it was nearly a perfect thing - and it's as easy as following a very simple recipe. If you try it, let me know, and also let me know what you think of it.

On Sunday morning, I got started with a third project, brining a dozen rainbow trout for smoking. I kept this simple, as experience has taught me that simple works really, really well, allowing the trout to be the star and showcasing the wonderful smoky goodness that works so well with it. The brine simply consisted of kosher salt and brown sugar, nothing more, and the trout soaked for four or five hours, while we went to my son's high school graduation. Afterwards, I rinsed off the trout, patted them dry with paper towels and set them on the racks of my Big Chief smoker in order to develop a pellicle. After about 90 minutes we were ready for smoke, so I got started, using an apple/alder blend. 2 pans of chips later, the smoking stage was completed, and a few hours after a slow heating-and-drying stage, I had had some wonderful, flaky, delicious smoked trout that was nearly perfectly done, with just the right amount of retained moisture, smokey-ness and salt/sugar balance. I couldn't be happier with the end product, but unfortunately, I haven't got a single photo, so I guess I'll simply have to go out and catch some more!

It was a pretty productive weekend, and I'm already looking forward to projects for this week. Chief among them is my tomato aspic as my entry for the FotW Summer Salad Challenge:

I also plan to get going on the studenina project mentioned above;l I might even do this one sometime during the week - we'll see how it goes.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 14:34
Tas. Firstly; I am in agreement ... to place the mini pictorial in Norway Scandinas. It was so simple to prepare. Thanks for compliments. Second item; could u link the 3 photos in Norway or upload ??
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 14:37
Margi -

If you can put the text into a new post, I'll be able to easily insert the photos. Simply put [PHOTO1]. [PHOTO2] etc. wherever you want them to go, and send a PM - I'll insert them into your post, ok?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>
  Share Topic