Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Food-Related Topics > Around the Kitchen Table
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

What's on the weekend menu?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 14>
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2014 at 18:41
My odd twist on Golumpki Soup turned out yummy! It's not authentic at all-I was using up leftovers- but it tastes good. Made a huge batch, though. Anyone want to come over for Cabbage Roll Soup?

Golumpki Soup (more or less)

Ingredients:

1-2 lbs hamburger (I had 1.6)
half a cabbage, chopped
1 onion, peeled + chopped.
The leafy middle of a head of celery, chopped fine.
1 bay leaf
1 can (15 oz?) diced or crushed tomatoes, no salt added
about 3/4 of a 26-oz jar of mild, no-salt added salsa  (I told you this was odd.)
1 32-oz box of low-sodium chicken stock
cooked rice (maybe 2 cups?)
1 "splort" from a squeeze bottle of minced garlic ~ approx 1 tsp
1 tsp paprika (I used sweet)
1/4-1/2 tsp ground allspice
pepper + salt to taste (optional)

To make in a multicooker: Set on Brown. Mostly brown the hamburger. Drain some of the grease if you can. Add the onions + celery + let them cook a bit. Add the cabbage. Let it wilt a bit. Stir so nothing burns. Add everything else. Stir. Switch to Slow Cook + let it cook until the cabbage softens.

Sponsored Links

HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 August 2014 at 18:51
Melissa, do you know the origin of "Golumpki?"

I have no idea what it means. But what a great word!

Other than that, the soup sounds great. But, then again, what's not to like about cabbage cooked with tomatoes?
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2014 at 17:51
Nope. I think I learned it here. Isn't that cabbage rolls? maybe I spelled it wrong.

It came out great and reheated beautifully, anyhow. I even shared some with a co-worker, and she liked it!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2014 at 15:16

BLT Salad.

Percebes View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percebes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2014 at 16:43
Roast Chicken
Parsley Potatoes
Steamed Broccoli

I am a wine enthusiast. The more wine I drink, the more enthusiastic I become.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2014 at 17:42
Looks delicious!

I had some veggies that needed to be used soon, so I made corn chowder.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2015 at 13:26
Snowed in on a long weekend = time to cook!

First I was going to make pork ribs. Then I thought I'd make sauteed cabbage + onions to go with it. Now I'm thinking of combining the 2 in a one-pot dish, but I'm not sure of the cooking times. Could everything slow-cook together, or would either the meat or veggies take longer?
Thanks!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2015 at 13:52
Basically, Melissa, you're talking about a variation of my ribs with kraut and fingernoodles recipe (http://www.foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net/spareribs-kraut-with-fingernoodles_topic4337.html).

In general, braising for about 1 1/2-2 hours will do it. You can't really overcook a dish like that; but you don't want the meat to actually fall off the bones, either.
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2015 at 14:34

February 14th .. 

Sea bass .. Friday Lunch .. Real simple ..  Fresh, whole and Fish Monger sliced opened 1 side ..  Filled with a little fresh parsley, minced garlic, minced leek, minced skinned pear shaped tomatoes and sprinkled with sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, a drizzle of Evoo, a little local Provençal White Wine, and Provençal Herbs fresh and dry ..  Simply lovely and the whole lunch took no time in a  pre heated oven ..  

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
DIYASUB View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIYASUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2015 at 14:56
That's funny, this thread goes active with posts about cooking ribs on a day that I just happen to be cooking ribs!
I've been keeping up with the snow but have developed a medical problem, so I'm just not up to shoveling my way out to the grill this time. On the other hand, I finagled my way into inheriting Grangma Dawn's big electric roaster when she went into the nursing home and it's certainly up to cooking a rack of ribs.
I started by putting the sections of ribs on a raised rack and put four cups of water into the roaster, which only covered the bottom 1/4" deep.
I set the temperature to 350f, put the lid on, and walked away from it for 2 1/2 hours.
When I came back the ribs wereas tender as I happen to like them, so it was time to finish them.
I poured off the liquid and then basted the ribs with "Kens Herb and Garlic Marinade and grilling Sauce" and turned the heat up to 375f. They seem to be browning up quite nicely.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2015 at 15:07
Thanks!

IIRC, these ribs are boneless, so there's no danger of anything falling off. :)
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2015 at 17:44
Looks and sounds great, everyone ~

Today is the 24th anniversary of the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. Tas, but unfortunately, she was called to work night ("graveyard") shifts this weekend. As a consequence, we are eating "quick and dirty" tonight - sandwiches from 

Ouch

For tomorrow, however, I've got a special main dish planned; it's a German/Russian dish based on ham, which we both love. It's very easy, too - just wrap up a butt or shank-portion (or full) ham in a simple pastry crust (flour, water, a little fat of some kind, and a little salt) and bake it. I'm also planning to make a German/Russian potato salad to go with it, but considering the busy day, I'm not going to promise anything further than the ham, yet.

We'll see how it goes!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2015 at 17:54
Happy anniversary!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2015 at 17:57
Thank you! Hug
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 March 2015 at 14:04
  Happy Belated Anniversary Tas and Mrs Tas!

Here's a beef sandwich recipe I'm hashing out...I'll see how it works out before I post a recipe

Enjoy The Food!
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2015 at 13:46

I didn't get any pictures of the sandwiches...they turned out pretty good though.  Here's a few pics slicing the beef

Enjoy The Food!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2015 at 18:11
Apple-smoked pork shoulder rubbed with salt, black pepper and oregano - basted with garlic, lemon juice and olive oil - shredded and served with diced tomatoes, sliced onion, feta and home-made tzatziki in a pita. That's what's for dinner ~ 
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2015 at 03:31
Brining up some nice thick center cut pork chops....going to smoke em in a mix of oak, cherry and maple.
Will glaze them with my Blackjack sauce and serve with grilled squash and potatoes.
Go ahead...play with your food!
Percebes View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percebes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 March 2016 at 15:23
Was craving some food from the grill yesterday and normally I would skewer some beef marinated in the family steak marinade.

Out of skewers I had to resort to the grill baskets.
An acceptable alternative.

I am a wine enthusiast. The more wine I drink, the more enthusiastic I become.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2016 at 14:20

Fall is here. I made pork ribs. This is a super-easy recipe.

Ingredients: I pack boneless pork ribs. (6 ribs/~ 1 lb.)
1-2 onions, any kind, coarsely chopped
1/2-1 bottle of Drew's smokey tomato dressing/marinade (depending on how much leftover sauce you want.)
Cooking oil, if needed to prevent sticking.

Brown the ribs on all sides.
Make a bed of onions in a slow cooker or pot. Place the ribs on top. Slather with dressing.
Cook "low and slow" until the meat is tender enough to pull apart with a fork.
Good hot or cold, plain or over rice or greens, shredded on a bun, etc. Today I had it with sauteed cabbage + onions.

My ex-husband used to cook this ribs + dressing combo in foil packets on the grill. That was delicious, but I think the browning + onions do add extra flavor.

If you don't do pork, this also works great with boneless chicken breasts. When I use chicken, I like to make it with the Thai Sesame Lime dressing. (Lots of the Drew's dressings are good for this.)

It would also probably work great with beef ribs or tofu, though I haven't tried those.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 14>
  Share Topic