Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Food-Related Topics > Around the Kitchen Table
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

What's on the weekend menu?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 14>
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2016 at 16:43
Thanks!
I found this and followed it: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/food/2016/10/05/1-ask-lisa-take-several-steps-to-keep-breading-on-meat-while-frying.html

I took step-by-step pictures, but when I try to post them here it says that they're too big, even after I minimized them down to a tiny dot.
Sponsored Links

HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2016 at 08:59
Congratulations on your success, Melissa. It's always great when a plan comes together.

Lisa's tips, in that article, are all good. One more: I find the addition of a little corn starch to the flour helps the breading stick better.
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2016 at 09:23
Excellent link, Melissa - thank you! I shared it with my own Melissa (aka, The Beautiful Mrs. Tas), and she thanks you as well!

If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2016 at 18:01
You're both welcome!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2016 at 18:03
Originally posted by HistoricFoodie HistoricFoodie wrote:

Congratulations on your success, Melissa. It's always great when a plan comes together.

Lisa's tips, in that article, are all good. One more: I find the addition of a little corn starch to the flour helps the breading stick better.

Thanks!
I need to get some cornstarch. I keep running into uses for it.

Anybody have a suggestion on how to shrink the pictures?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2016 at 18:26
What I do is open them up in Microsoft Photo Editor (or whatever) and then reduce them to 800 pixels wide. From there, they should be able to be uploaded to Photobucket. Photobucket will assign a link to the picture (with IMG tags in front of and behind it). From there, just copy the link with the tags, and paste it into your post. It sounds more complicated than it is. Once you do about tree of them, it's easy!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2016 at 07:18
One more tip, Melissa, that I don't think is emphasized enough in most frying recipes: When you set up your three-station line, it's important that all three components be seasoned. Even if it's just salt & pepper.

But don't stop there. Consider salt & pepper to make seasoned flour in your first station. In the eggs you could put a dash of hot sauce (or more than a dash, if that's to your liking). And, of course, the actual breading should be seasoned as well, depending on your end-result goal.

Speaking of the final bowl, there's a tendency to think that only flours or breadcrumbs make a good breading. But the fact is, literally anything that can be converted to fine crumbs or flour works. Cereals, potato chips, pretzels, nuts, pork rinds, crackers, you name it. Lots of room for creativity here.

Because nuts and cheeses have a tendency to burn, it's best to use them as an added ingredient rather than going with them straight. That is, mix ground nuts with some sort of flour or other crumb. Same with, say, Parmesan.

Once you've got the basic technique down (which it seems you have) you can make hundreds of different dishes just by ringing the changes on the flavorings and types of breading.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2016 at 18:08
Thanks! I can't have salt, but I put plenty of other flavorings in along the line.
The last coating had fine cornmeal in it.

I made Chicken Picatta with a coating of crushed garlic-rosemary potato chips once. Tasted great, but I didn't get the bits small enough, and the sauce made them soggy.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2016 at 13:03
I just made either a Green Tomato Ragu, or some odd-but-tasty Sloppy Joe filling. Not sure which.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2016 at 19:15
Culinary achievement unlocked- !empanadas! The discos were store-bought, but I made the filling. (Beef, onions, green peppers + tomatoes, and tomato sofrito.)
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2016 at 07:38
I dunno, girl. For somebody who claims she can't cook you seem to be making a pretty good job of it.

Nothing wrong with store-bought, by the way. In fact, wonton wraps and eggroll skins are among the most versatile products you can have in your pantry. I always have plenty of both on hand (they freeze well, btw).
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2016 at 15:39
Thanks!
I haven't used wonton wraps or eggroll skins yet. I DO like eggrolls. Hmm...
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2016 at 10:17
After empanadas, Montana pasties should be easy, if you want to try them. They are sure good!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 December 2016 at 16:45
They do sound good!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2016 at 03:08

NEW YEAR´s EVE ..

Since I am half French on the maternal side and half Venetian Italian on the paternal side, it is traditional for us to do Italian for Christmas Eve 24th and Christmas Day 25th ..

The classic French has been a tradition in my Maternal Family since time began,  so the carte is:

Beaufort 7 French & Swiss  Cheese Fondue ( recipe 2014 in French Section ) ..

Filet Mignon of Beef Fondue ..

Chocolate Fondue served with season and tropical fruits from the Canary Islands, and a home baked simple  Sponge diced and placed on Fondue Skewers for dipping into the chocolate ..

What are you eating on the 31st  ?

FOR THE 1st,  I prefer simplicity and shall do a Paella Marinara or a Risotto Gamberi Rosso .. 

Have not decided yet but I must go to the Fish Monger, tomorrow at 18.00 my time ..

ALL MY BEST FOR A WONDERFUL NEW YEAR AHEAD ..

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2016 at 05:26
Melissa-

Don't confine your use of eggroll skins and won ton wraps to Asian foods. Instead, think of them as wraps for anything you want to fill them with.

Example, I make a take-off of a "Cajun" eggroll. Had it the first time in a restaurant in Ohio, of all places, and immediately came up with my own version.

If you sandwich an approprate filling between two won ton wraps, you've got ravioli. Fold an eggroll skin triangularly over the right stuffing and you've made samosas.

Use them to make edible cups: Press won ton wraps into mini-cupcake tins, or eggroll skins into full-sized ones, and bake until crisp. Voila! Self-standing, edible bowls. (BTW, you can do the same thing with tortillas).

Somewhere at FotW I did a write up on appetizers and small plates. If you can find it (sadly, I misremember the thread name) it features the use of won tons and eggroll wraps extensively. They're really very versatile products, with their use limited only by your imagination.
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2016 at 09:56
Some great ideas .. 

Thank you Brook.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2016 at 15:26
Sounds like fun. Thank you!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2017 at 14:24

I once took a Spanish course with a great professor we called Sra T.

Sr. T. Did an Immersion Day where we all went to her house and cooked lunch together while speaking only Spanish. We made Moros y Cristianos. I'd never tasted anything like it. (That may have been my first taste of cumin.)'

I was on orange-peeling duty, so, sadly, I don't remember what went into it.

Someone gave my then-husband + I an international cookbook with a Moros y Cristianos recipe for a wedding present. We tried it, but despite the fact that his cooking skills were much better than mine, this version wasn't the same. Really watery, kinda bland...neither of us liked it much.

Between taking the Spanish course on Duolingo, finding that wedding cookbook, and reading the FotW book on the cooking of Spain and Portugal (I found it at a book sale!), I got to thinking about this again. It's really cold and windy out. Perfect for cooking stew. So I'm giving it a try, based on the International cookbook's recipe and tweaked with things I found online. (The FotW book doesn't have a M+C recipe)

I used canned beans instead of dried, and several small tomatoes instead of 1 big one.
The original recipe calls for a smoked pork hock. I had a pack of 2 unsmoked ones. I added both + a little liquid smoke.
I had no chorizo + slab bacon. Used Andouille and regular bacon instead.
The internet recipes had green pepper and oregano. I added them.
Big reason that it at least won't be as watery this time: Recipe calls for 2 boxes of chicken stock. The second simply won't fit in the multicooker, even if I wanted it watery.

It's cooked for the amount of time in the recipe, but the meat won't come off the bone, so I'm letting it cook longer. But I tasted the broth, and so far, so good! Honestly, it's been so long that I probably couldn't tell if I duplicated the original or not, but as long as I get some tasty meals out of it, I'll be happy.

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2017 at 16:52
Oh yum, it's delicious! (Even without the rice.)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 14>
  Share Topic