Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Food-Related Topics > Around the Kitchen Table
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

What's on the weekend menu?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2013 at 03:21
Not sure yet. All I know is I just got a new slow cooker that I'm dying to try out.
Sponsored Links

Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2013 at 15:10
WHOA! I may have overspiced the corn medley. I started with 1 tsp of Arizona Dreaming, and instead of going to 2 tsp, jumped straight to a tbsp. it's probably perfect for people who are used to spicy food, which I'm not. I like this recipe, though. Tons of flavor (not just heat) and no salt at all.
Here's the recipe for anyone who might be interested:

Missy's Corn Medley
Ingredients:

garlic-infused olive oil
1 green bell pepper, chopped fine
1 red bell pepper, """"
1 sweet onion, """"
1 bag frozen corn, thawed
1 tbsp lime juice
Penzey's Arizona Dreaming to taste (see above)

Heat the oil in a skillet, or a multi-cooker on Brown mode
Saute the peppers + onions until soft + a little brown.
Add the corn. Stir and get thoroughly hot.
Add the lime juice + spice blend. Stir, Heat through.
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2013 at 16:05
FROM MARGAUX:
Still uncertain until I arrive at Central market 8.30 am .. FRESH FRAGRANT APRICOTS ARE FOR SURE .. in season and gorgeous ...

MAIN: Simple; perhaps some fresh trout Navarra style with acorn fed ham ... and haricot verts = French style green beans or zucchini stuffed ... LOTS OF GREEN PRODUCE ... and cherries too ..

WEATHER STILL CHILLY --- 65 DEGREES FARENHEIT ...

SHALL TAKE SOME PHOTOS,

HAVE LOVELY WKEND.
M.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2013 at 17:16
I've decided! Tommorrow, it's gonna be Jamaican Goat Curry done in the slow cooker. I don't know about Sunday yet.

Here's the recipe I'm using for the goat;

Ingredients

2 1/2 lbs. goat without bones or 3 lbs. with bones
1 lime
1 large onion, sliced
6 cloves finely chopped garlic
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. dry thyme leaves
1 tsp. ground allspice 
1 Scotch bonnet pepper, or habanero pepper, finely chopped
2 tbsp. canola or vegetable oil

5 green onions (scallions), chopped
2 potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (the potatoes can be peeled or not)
2 tsp. curry powder 
2 cups water

Preparation
  •  Squeeze lime juice over the goat
  • Marinate the goat meat in a seal able container. Add the onion, garlic, salt, black pepper, thyme, allspice and Scotch bonnet pepper. Wearing rubber gloves, rub the spices into the goat with your hands. Refrigerate for a minimum of 1-2 hours. Marinating over night would be even better!
  • In a large skillet, heat the oil and brown the goat meat
  • Once browned, place the goat pieces into the crock pot
  • Add the marinade, green onions and curry to the crock pot along with the water
  • Cook the goat for 8 hours
  • About 4 hours into the cooking time, add the cubed potatoes. This will prevent them becoming too soft
  • Serve with rice
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2013 at 17:33
Sounds hotter than I can handle, but really fascinating!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2013 at 17:35
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2013 at 17:37
Sometimes when I post a picture, it doesn't give me room to add text. Anyway, there's a plateful of The Feast. It was a bit much of a production for our tiny kitchen, but really tasty! 
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2013 at 17:40
Started the weekend with Salmon in Basil Sauce, served on egg noodles. Snap peas accompanied it.

For tomorrow, ribs on the grill, done in the Kentucky style.

Haven't a clue about Sunday.
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2013 at 18:19
Originally posted by Melissa Mead Melissa Mead wrote:

Sounds hotter than I can handle, but really fascinating!
Nah! 1 scotch bonnet in the marinade, I won't even taste it, esp with the seeds and pith removed.

You could always make it without the pepper, or even half a pepper just to give it some hint of heat or pepper flavour. There are other peppers you could use that have less heat such as a jalapeno etc.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2013 at 20:18
Even Jalapeno hurts me. I'm more Ancho speed. :) 
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2013 at 21:23
That would work. You'd get some of the pepper flavour without the heat.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2013 at 01:59
It's going to be a smoked rib eye roast here, with a salad of spinach, pecans, strawberries and feta tossed with some balsamic vinaigrette. I'll bake some taters in the traeger as well, and make some horseradish sauce for the roast. Not sure what veggie will be yet. 

If the demons that have been living in my camera have been exorcised, I will attempt to report back and show you all how it went.
Go ahead...play with your food!
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2013 at 07:19
    AK, That sounds fantastic!  I'm going to have to print this one out so I don't forget about it...thanks for posting!

Originally posted by AK1 AK1 wrote:

I've decided! Tommorrow, it's gonna be Jamaican Goat Curry done in the slow cooker. I don't know about Sunday yet.

Here's the recipe I'm using for the goat;

Ingredients

2 1/2 lbs. goat without bones or 3 lbs. with bones
1 lime
1 large onion, sliced
6 cloves finely chopped garlic
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. dry thyme leaves
1 tsp. ground allspice 
1 Scotch bonnet pepper, or habanero pepper, finely chopped
2 tbsp. canola or vegetable oil

5 green onions (scallions), chopped
2 potatoes, cut into 1/2 inch cubes (the potatoes can be peeled or not)
2 tsp. curry powder 
2 cups water

Preparation
  •  Squeeze lime juice over the goat
  • Marinate the goat meat in a seal able container. Add the onion, garlic, salt, black pepper, thyme, allspice and Scotch bonnet pepper. Wearing rubber gloves, rub the spices into the goat with your hands. Refrigerate for a minimum of 1-2 hours. Marinating over night would be even better!
  • In a large skillet, heat the oil and brown the goat meat
  • Once browned, place the goat pieces into the crock pot
  • Add the marinade, green onions and curry to the crock pot along with the water
  • Cook the goat for 8 hours
  • About 4 hours into the cooking time, add the cubed potatoes. This will prevent them becoming too soft
  • Serve with rice
Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2013 at 07:27
    Hoser, You've got to be kidding me!  Tomorrow at the Fire Station I was going to smoke a Rib Roast in the smoker and then do some oiled baked potatoes on the grill (for a nice crust)...I sometimes brine the baked potatoes for a bit and it gives a nice fluffy interior.  Long baguette was also going to be lightly oiled, salted and marked on the grill as well.  I figured I was going to wait and see what vegetables looked good when I picked up the rest of the stuff.

I've smoked the Rib Roasts before and they turn out awesome!  For this cook I was actually thinking about smoking for a good portion and then finishing on (either) the rotisserie or Broil on Lo.  If I do the rotisserie I'll skewer the roast when it's cold and smoke it like that

Originally posted by Hoser Hoser wrote:

It's going to be a smoked rib eye roast here, with a salad of spinach, pecans, strawberries and feta tossed with some balsamic vinaigrette. I'll bake some taters in the traeger as well, and make some horseradish sauce for the roast. Not sure what veggie will be yet. 

If the demons that have been living in my camera have been exorcised, I will attempt to report back and show you all how it went.
Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2013 at 10:41
SATURDAY  8.30 AM THE CENTRAL MARKET FISH & SHELLFISH FRESHLY CAUGHT AND KEPT ON CRUSHED ICE ...  THE SELECTION FROM LEFT TO RIGHT:  SQUID,  RED BREAM,  CLAMS & OYSTERS ...

Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2013 at 04:08
Originally posted by gonefishin gonefishin wrote:

Hoser, You've got to be kidding me!  Tomorrow at the Fire Station I was going to smoke a Rib Roast in the smoker and then do some oiled baked potatoes on the grill (for a nice crust)...I sometimes brine the baked potatoes for a bit and it gives a nice fluffy interior.  Long baguette was also going to be lightly oiled, salted and marked on the grill as well.  I figured I was going to wait and see what vegetables looked good when I picked up the rest of the stuff.

I've smoked the Rib Roasts before and they turn out awesome!  For this cook I was actually thinking about smoking for a good portion and then finishing on (either) the rotisserie or Broil on Lo.  If I do the rotisserie I'll skewer the roast when it's cold and smoke it like that

Originally posted by Hoser Hoser wrote:

It came out great Dan....I rubbed the roast with garlic,fresh rosemary and thyme, salt and pepper then tossed it in the traeger with the taters and brought it up to 130°. It got a nice crust on it in the 90 minutes or so in the smoker...spuds were good and did some squash as well. 

I managed to take some pics, but know the damned camera will not let me upload to the computer, so I guess I'm screwed. Might take a ride to the Sony store later on today.

Hope yours turns out well at the station too...and be safe !
Go ahead...play with your food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2013 at 08:01
   Sounds delicious Hoser!  It's been a while since we've done a nice rib roast...looking forward to it.  I'm going to make some roasted cauliflower with olive oil, roasted garlic, some Serrano's and a bit of lime juice.

Have a great Sunday!
Dan
Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2013 at 14:39
LAS ALFOMBRAS DE LOS JARDINES; CARPETS OF FLOWERS ... This is a yearly spring festival held in a small elegant city 2.5 hours from Madrid, and it is one of the loveliest events in the region. We arrived at 18.00 hours and shall stay until Sunday 16.30 hours.

This shall also be my gastro / eno travel feature for my July magazine.

I shall upload some photos on Photo Bucket on Monday and post a couple of photos ... I am going to be interviewing a Chef who has done some wonderful epicurism on CANAL COCINA, in Spanish ...

HAVE A NICE WEEKEND.
Margaux. 
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2013 at 10:49
Strip loin steaks tonight. Salmon tomorrow.
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 June 2013 at 21:19
Well, we didn't have salmon today. We ended up doing pork chops, but I did use the salmon filet I had to start some Gravlax.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>
  Share Topic