Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > The Iberian Peninsula
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Pictorial Cochinillo Asado de Segovia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pictorial Cochinillo Asado de Segovia
    Posted: 06 April 2013 at 06:05

SEGOVIAN SUCKLING ROAST PIGLETS PICTORIAL ... SUNDAY APRIL 7th, 2013 ( prepared on Saturday the 6th for a birthday party ) ...

The region of Old Castile, Castilla León, is called the province of ASADOS ( ROASTS ), because it is renowned for authentic 1492 - 1590 traditional tender oven roasted Segovian suckling piglet, lechazo / lechal baby milk fed lamb and kid goat.

This was the dish of the monarchy and the town folk, during the Inquisition to show one´s devoutness to Catholicism.  

In the city of Segovia, where the Romans had built the renowned Acquaduct, wood burning ovens were commandeered for their roasting for the villagers of yesteryear since 1492 under the rulership of the Catholic Monarchy.  This dish is served throughout the Castilla León provinces of :

SEGOVIA, ÁVILA, ZAMORA, PALENCIA, BURGOS, VALLADOLID, LEÓN AND SALAMANCA IN NORTH CENTRAL AND NORTH WESTERN SPAIN.

This type of roasting is still carried on today, for all the restaurants of the historic district of Segovia, one of the most incredible small towns located just 1 hour from Madrid.

Here is today´s recipe for ROAST TRADITIONAL SEGOVIA  SUCKLING PIGLET  ( photo pictorial in process of being uploaded ): ( NOTE: RECIPE IS BELOW THE PHOTOS )

PHOTO 1:  HERE IS A SEGOVIAN SUCKLING PIGLET PRIOR TO PREPARING ...

PHOTO 2: THE PIGLETS ARE WAITING TO BE DRESSED FOR THE ROASTING PAN ( THE WHOLE CLOVES OF GARLIC SHALL BE PREPARED INTO A PESTO OF GARLIC, FRESH PARSELY & EVOO AND STUFFED WITH A TEASPOON INTO THE SLITS ON EACH PIGLET ...

PHOTO 3: COMBINING THE WHOLE CLOVES OF GARLIC WITH EVOO, KOSHER OR SEA SALT & FRESH PARSLEY INTO A PESTO FOR FILLING THE SLITS TO BE MADE ON THE PIGLETS ...

PHOTO 4: THE PESTO IS READY   

PHOTO 5: FILLING THE SLITS WITH THE GARLIC PARSLEY EVOO & KOSHER OR SEA SALT PESTO

PHOTO 6: THE VET BUTTERFLIED THE PIGLETS TO SEASON WITH SEA SALT & THE PESTO & FRESHLY GROUND PEPPER

PHOTO 7:  SLOW HEAT OVEN - IN ROASTING TRAY

PHOTO 8:  WITHIN A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME ... GOLDENING PIGLETS ...

PHOTO 9:  GOLDENING PROCESS & BASTING WITH STRAINED PAN JUICES AND THE PESTO TO KEEP MOIST AND CREATE THE CRISP SKIN ... THE BEST PART !

PHOTO 10:  GOLDENING TO CRISP SKIN AND THE FINISHING FEW MINUTES ...

PHOTO 11: READY: A PARADISE FOR YOUR PALATE !   

PHOTO 12:  LETTING COOL SO THE PIGLETS COULD BE SLICED INTO SERVING PARTS ...

PHOTO 13:  WIPE THE SPILLAGE FROM THE SLITS ( i use paper towelling )  ...

PHOTO 14: A SERVING OF SUCKLING PIGLET ... ALL YOU NEED IS A PLATE TO SLICE IT !!! 
THE CRISP SKIN, SUCCULENT IS A TREAT EVERY ONCE IN AWHILE ... 

RECIPE:  

COCHINILLO ASADO DE SEGOVIA ...

1 or 2 suckling piglets
salt
freshly ground black pepper
4 ounces or 120 grams of manteca de cerdo ( pork lard ); SUB SPANISH EVOO FROM ÁVILA  if unavailable
8 FL. OZ. DRY WHITE WINE OR CARLOS V - JEREZ DE LA FRONTERA BRANDY OR SPANISH BEER
1 large bay leaf

*** OPTIONAL: FOR FILLING THE SLITS MADE IN THE PIGLETS: fresh minced parsley; minced garlic ( 4 cloves ), Evoo and kosher or sea salt / sal maldón

1) SEASON the underside of the piglet(s), with salt and pepper freshly ground and rub the piglets with mashed garlic cloves. With a very sharp knife, make small slits in the skin side side ( they are going to be stuffed with PESTO OF: garlic, fresh parsley, Evoo and if you wish; almonds or pinenuts or hazel nuts ... this is optional. THIS IS DONE PRIOR TO PLACING IN OVEN.
2) rub the skin with salt, pepper and the " manteca de cerdo " or Evoo and skin side down, do the other side of the piglet(s)
3) Now pour the wine or brandy or beer and add the herbs to roasting pan
4) roast in preheated oven 180 centig for 50 mins. and baste frequently with pan juices
5) cover with aluminum; as you are SLOW LOW COOKING FOR TENDER WHITE MEAT FIRST
6) THEN, turn the pig skin side up; and raise oven temperature for crisping the exterior skin to golden goodness
7) Prick the skin to make sure, the interior is done before turning over
8) Now, brush with remaining pork lard or Evoo; and raise temperature to 250 centig degrees for 1/2 hour and watch carefully, because my 2 piglets had taken 20 mins. only ( see photos being uploaded Saturday nite after 17.00 hours )
9) BASTE OCCASIONALLY WITH THE LIQUOR PAN JUICES AND LET REST 15 MINS. BEFORE CARVING

serve with patatas de importancia or baked or boiled potato and a salad for 1st plate; and crusty rustic bread and a RIBERA DEL DUERO CASTILLA LEÓN RED CRIANZA WINE OR SPARKLING CAVA PINOT NOIR ROSÉ ...

ENJOY, as there are few things in life, that could turn a vegetarian into a carnivore for a day; this is one of them !!!  LOL
MARGAUX CINTRANO

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Sponsored Links

gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2013 at 09:39
    Tongue  Oh yeah, this is one I'll be making!

thanks!
Enjoy The Food!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2013 at 09:59
Dan,

Firstly, thanks for your feedback ...

Though I enjoy having a Perñil in Miami or a Porcetta in Italia; in Spain, Cochinillo Asado de Segovia is absolutely the best roast of all in the pork family. There is NO comparison.

It is so succulent and tender, one can slice it with a plate !  An ancient method, to show their prowess of expertise in preparation !!

FOTOS shall be up this evening.

Our company shall be departing shortly and I shall upload ...

This roast is paradise for the palate = Este asado es Un paraíso por tu paladar ...

Kindest. Margaux.

gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2013 at 10:14
Originally posted by Margi Cintrano Margi Cintrano wrote:

It is so succulent and tender, one can slice it with a plate !  An ancient method, to show their prowess of expertise in preparation !!

Yes Margi, I have seen this done and it is my goal.  Please note that I did not say how many attempts it will take in order to reach this goal...but it is my goal just the same.  If I am satisfied with my execution...I will prepare it at work, bring in a plate of my own...and perform the plate cutting...complete with the ending. 

Do you know any more about the traditions of the ceremony?

Thanks

Enjoy The Food!
africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2013 at 10:31
wow ................
Ahron
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2013 at 10:57
ARON AND DAN,

Cándido, a Segovian native restaurateur & Hotelier since the 1930s, is the Senior of the Family " Cándido ".
I have met his son ... This restaurant is located 25 metres from the renowned Roman Aquaduct in the historic district of Segovia ... It is a bit of a tourist trap however, it is true ... the suckling piglet is so tender, it can be sliced with a plate ---  We were quite disappointed and so were our Spanish friends, with the Tapas at Cándido --- we have had much better ...

The cochinillo was as stated, excellent ... Though we have had better from the Son Cándido !!!  I WROTE AN ARTICLE ON SON CÁNDIDO IN 2007.

However,  we have eaten in other Segovian historic restaurants and the Parador Hotel de La Granja, historic Palace, where the same tradition holds true too ...  Segovia: this is the specialty and all restaurateurs compete for the best suckling piglet !!!  We have never had a tough piglet where we needed a knife to slice the meat !!!  USE BRANDY CARLOS V - JEREZ DE LA FRONTERA ...

It is an amazing and very well restored small city chockful of amazing historical Roman architecture, romanesque, gothic and renaissance art and buildings.

Please note: this is not difficult to achieve; the quintessential key, is to start off low slow oven, at 180 centig. and let the interior roast first; and baste, and do it with loving care !!!  for 1 hour ... and then, for 20 mins. to 30 mins. depending on ur oven, raise the heat, to 250 centig. and crisp the exterior --- THE BEST LARD FOR THIS IS MANTECA DE CERDO = PORK LARD.

I have used EVOO 1 time; and though very tender; it was NOT the same ... and I would never prepare with Evoo again; only pork lard; if you want to achieve this historic tradition !

I wanted to add; this is a traditional form of SHOW COOKING 1930s ... to attract customers and foreigners who saturate the city for its vast array of exquisite monuments ... since they are located next to the Aquaduct ... Then, the plate is thrown on floor and broken ...

Margaux

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2013 at 09:21
Margi - many, many thanks for an absolutely wonderful pictorial on a time-honoured Castilian meal - now I want to hop on a plane and fly to Segovia! I saw your photos this weekend, but the keyboard on my laptop is ruined (replacement arriving this week), so I was unable to reply. I have to say, your piglets turned out very well!

The more that I see of this method with cochinillos, the more I want to try them; I could do the same method with a pork shoulder here in the States, but I am sure it simply isn't the same. We do have a couple of local pig farmers in the area, as well as plenty of youg people involved in 4H; I may have to see if there is an avenue for acquiring a suckling pig through one of those methods, so that I can bring Segovia to Montana. Thumbs Up

Impressive and delciious-loooking - thank you for sharing, and please give my regards to Fil for his fine butchering skills! Beer

Ahron said it best: WOW! Clap
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2013 at 09:48
Aron. Many thanks !!

Tas. Firstly; muchisimas gracias. Many thanks for lovely compliments. A suckling piglet should be less than 4 kilos. These twins were 3,5 kilos each !! Hope you can convince a pig farmer to sell a set ! Taste profile amazing ... Much more delicate than pernil.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic