Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Asia > The Middle East
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

kousa mahshi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: kousa mahshi
    Posted: 15 April 2013 at 11:05
Kousa Mahshi or Stuffed Marrows is squash or zucchini stuffed with rice and meat

This is my way for doing Kousa mahshi. i serve this dish with yogurt and a good bread.

Here is my recipe.

for the Filling

1/2 kg beef mince 
1/2 cup rice .
1/2 onion Chopped.
1 tomato chopped
salt, black pepper , cumin ,garlic powder, paprika .    

for the cooking broth .

2L chicken stock 
125 g tomato paste 
2 tabs sugar
 salt, black pepper , cumin ,garlic powder, paprika .

soak the rice 
mix it with the spices tomato and the onion .
stuff  the zucchini .
the  Remains of the fillings put in the broth to cook with the zucchini .
warm the broth and put in the zucchini and simmer for 35 minutes.
serve it warm with yogurt.

now with photos 

A new gadget 

Thanks
Ahron
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2013 at 11:14
Ahron, this looks great! I've looked at it twice now, and I definitely want to make it. We are planting zucchini this year, and I also have one winter squash left over from last year. It's a "turban" squash, and I think it would work well if I hollow it out and fill it with this wonderful-looking mixture.

Would you characterise this as an Israeli food, or is it found throughout the Middle East?
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2013 at 11:24
Ahron,

WOW ... one of my all time favorites during March and April, zucchini season, actually green season throughout Iberia ... Asparagus, Zucchini, Caluiflower, Broccoli, Green Beans ( Romanesque wide ) and French style slim like a cigarette; amongst numerous others.

This is definitely on my short term list ... and your Marinara was divine ... 

I like the " GADGET " for removing the interiors of the zucchini or corgettes ... 

FABULOUS ... MAKES IT SO SIMPLE ... 

Kind regards. Margaux. 
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2013 at 12:38
Originally posted by TasunkaWitko TasunkaWitko wrote:

Ahron, this looks great! I've looked at it twice now, and I definitely want to make it. We are planting zucchini this year, and I also have one winter squash left over from last year. It's a "turban" squash, and I think it would work well if I hollow it out and fill it with this wonderful-looking mixture.

Would you characterise this as an Israeli food, or is it found throughout the Middle East?

Hi Ron thanks 
it is a dish from Lebanon ,Syria ,but you will find it in Jordan and Iraq too .
Ahron
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2013 at 12:45
Tas and Aron. It is very common i Turkey; Greece; Sicily and Iberia too. The rice; spices; herbs and meat mixture change a bit. Delicious in all its variations.     
Rod Franklin View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2013 at 13:36
Hmm. This looks tasty. 
Hungry
africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2013 at 13:36
 Thanks Margi

Ahron
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2013 at 14:01
Sounds great, Ahron. And I love your new gadget.

Interesting sidelight: In America, stuffed squash usually is made by splitting them lengthwise, removing the seeds, and filling the hollows with the stuffing. Sort of like boats.

But in the 18th century, in England and the colonies, they did it the way you do. The ends were sewn back onto the marrow, though, to act as a plug so the filling didn't cook out.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2013 at 03:13
That is a terrific looking dish Ahron...to me stuffed squash is pure comfort food.
I'd be all over that in a heartbeat...a nice crusty bread to soak up the sauce with, and you're in heaven.
Go ahead...play with your food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2013 at 06:57
Hoser,

How true ... Zucchini or Corgettes are delightful stuffed ... and so versatile.

M.C.D. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic