Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Asia > The Middle East
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

lahmajoun

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lahmajoun
    Posted: 29 April 2013 at 04:19
What a great weekend we had this weekend .
the Weather was great for a good BBQ or a Braai .my wife wanted chicken in the wood fire oven .
(i dont argue with my wife .) but just chicken in not enough so what do we do ahh i will do 
Lahmajoun .. is a round, thin piece of dough topped with minced meat (most commonly beef and lamb) and minced vegetables and herbs including onions, tomatoes and parsley, then baked. Lahmacun is often served sprinkled with lemon juice and wrapped around vegetables,  a typical variants may be found employing kebab meat or sauces .

i put the veggies in the Food processor and allow the veggies to drain .
mix it with the meat salt cumin garlic and crushed chillies .

the chicken and brad

All in the wood fire oven 
Thanks

Ahron
Sponsored Links

Rod Franklin View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2013 at 05:36
That is impressive! Clap
Hungry
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2013 at 07:55
A great sounding version, Ahron. Of course, I'm jealous of your wood-fired oven; but, then again, I reckon most of us at FotW are.

Lamejun, or lahmajoun, is a popular dish throughout the Mid-east, from Turkey on up into Armenia. In my bread primer I had posted a chicken version (http://www.foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net/the-staff-of-life-a-primer-on-baking-bread_topic3089_page3.html).

Chicken isn't traditional with this dish, but Anna Sortun's recipe is so good that it's worth trying.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2013 at 08:41
Very nice, Ahron - I think that looks good enough to reach rght into my computer screen and sneak a bite! Thumbs Up

I can see this working really well with ground venison - the chicken and bread look delicious, too!

Would you say that the dough for the lahmajoun is like a a pizza dough or more like a pie crust? Or some other type of dough?
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2013 at 09:27
Ahron,

SPECTACULAR ... The Iahmajoun and all its accompaniments. 

We live in the heart of Madrid Capital, where BBQ is not practical ... 

Truly lovely pictorial and thank you so much for posting.

Margaux.  

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2013 at 11:28
Originally posted by TasunkaWitko TasunkaWitko wrote:

Very nice, Ahron - I think that looks good enough to reach rght into my computer screen and sneak a bite! Thumbs Up

I can see this working really well with ground venison - the chicken and bread look delicious, too!

Would you say that the dough for the lahmajoun is like a a pizza dough or more like a pie crust? Or some other type of dough?

Thanks Ron
 it is a flat brad i just did my one with Whole wheat flour .
Ahron
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2013 at 11:30
Thanks! Thumbs Up
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2013 at 11:30
Originally posted by Margi Cintrano Margi Cintrano wrote:

Ahron,

SPECTACULAR ... The Iahmajoun and all its accompaniments. 

We live in the heart of Madrid Capital, where BBQ is not practical ... 

Truly lovely pictorial and thank you so much for posting.

Margaux.  

Thanks margi 

you can do the lahmajoun in the oven
Ahron
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2013 at 11:32
Originally posted by HistoricFoodie HistoricFoodie wrote:

A great sounding version, Ahron. Of course, I'm jealous of your wood-fired oven; but, then again, I reckon most of us at FotW are.

Lamejun, or lahmajoun, is a popular dish throughout the Mid-east, from Turkey on up into Armenia. In my bread primer I had posted a chicken version (http://www.foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net/the-staff-of-life-a-primer-on-baking-bread_topic3089_page3.html).

Chicken isn't traditional with this dish, but Anna Sortun's recipe is so good that it's worth trying.

Thanks
interesting way to to this dish i will try it one day .
Ahron
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2013 at 11:33
Originally posted by Rod Franklin Rod Franklin wrote:

That is impressive! Clap

Thanks
Ahron
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 April 2013 at 13:10
Ron, lahmajoun is, traditionally, made on Lavash. But just about any flatbread dough will do.

Certainly pizza dough will work. So, too, will a Focaccia dough.

I've tried several doughs, including Lavash. My favorite, for lahmajoun, is the Lebanese Manaaeesh dough. Recipe can be found in the above link.
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 14:29
Yeah, I would eat that.
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2013 at 09:25
That looks delicious.
AndreiSmirnoff View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndreiSmirnoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2015 at 18:18
Looks very yummy (not the burnt one though:). My friend lately introduced me to lahmajoun in my home city Vancouver, BC. The taste is awesome!!! I keep buying and buying it constantly. For some reason, they removed letter "h" so they are called www.lamajoun.com
Can stop eating it!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2015 at 18:48
Hi, Andrei,

Welcome to our little corner of the culinary world. Hope you like it here.

Why don't you head over to the Members Lounge forum and tell us a little about yourself, particularly your food and cooking interests?
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2016 at 19:15
Welcome, Andrei!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic