Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The US and Canada > American Barbecue, Grilling and Smoke-Cooked Foods
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Mustard Slather for Barbecue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mustard Slather for Barbecue
    Posted: 21 March 2010 at 07:51
Applying a mustard slather befor the rub is one of those little tweaks that can transform really good barbecue into outstanding barbecue. I have always used plain mustard as a slather, but learned a great way to make it even better from a friend. Thanks, TJ!

TJ's barbecue slather

1 generous cup light brown sugar
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp white pepper
1 can of flat beer
32 oz. yellow mustard
2 tbsp your favorite hot sauce.

Due to what i had in the pantry,Ii used dark brown sugar and about 4 or 6 ounces of honey mustard mxed with the regular mustard. Due to an effort to stay married, I omitted the hot sauce and substituted Worcestershire sauce. the resulting mixture was very intersting - sweet with a kick, but no heat.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2012 at 13:31
a lot of people are turned off at first by the thought of a "mustard slather" for barbecue, but it's not what you think. for most barbecue, a rub is applied to the meat for flavour and colour. a thin coating of mustard really is beneficial in order to help the rub adhere to the meat; yet it also does more - it also acts as a conduit between the rub and the meat, and helps in flavour absorption. finally, as the meat cooks slowly in the sweet smoke of the pit, the slather helps the rub turn into a beautiful bark or crust.

"but i don't like mustard," you might say; no worries, the finished product will not have any mustardy taste. i am not much of a mustard-lover, but i have never tasted mustard in any of my barbecue that had a mustard slather.

if this still doesn't convince you, then try brushon a thin coatring of olive or other oil before you apply the rub. it has much the same effect.

anyway, flavouring the mustard slather makes it even better. i've tried the recipe above and really enjoyed it. it also works very well for sandwiches etc.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2012 at 02:22
I couldn't agree more Ron...I use a thin coating of mustard under my butt rub all the time.
Go ahead...play with your food!
Boilermaker View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2012 at 16:54
Ron,

Here is the one I use that I got from a friend, if memory serves it is out of Paul Kirk's championship barbecue book but don't hold me to that.  It is a bit involved but very good when used under a rub.

Mustard Slather

1 cup yellow mustard
1/2 cup horseradish mustard
1/2 cup spicy brown mustard
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2012 at 17:04
I was surprised when I first heard about it, but it's amazing what difference there is when one uses a mustard slather before the rub.
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2012 at 05:17
Oo, I could do the non-alcohol one. They sound delicious!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2012 at 08:50
melissa - you can just leave the beer out if you want, possibly even substitue apple juice.

andy - looks really good!
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2012 at 15:04
Here is a good article I ran across discussing smoking ribs using a mustard slather.

How to BBQ like a world champion

By Garrett Tenney

Published July 04, 2012

FoxNews.com

Barbecue on July 4th is as American as apple pie.

To make sure your barbecue is the best on the block, here are a few tips from Melissa Cookston, co-owner of Memphis Barbecue Company in Horn Lake, Miss. Cookston, a familiar face on TLC's reality show "BBQ Pitmasters," is a three-time World Champion BBQ Pitmaster and the only female to have won the prestigious Memphis in May (MIM) World Championship BBQ Cooking Contest.

Cookston took a few minutes out of her busy schedule to give us her secrets to making the perfect, mouth-watering ribs--and what rookie mistakes to avoid. 

“We’re going to show you exactly what we do to our ribs for competition to make your ribs world champion ribs too,” Cookston begins.

First, you want to remove the membrane that is on the back of the ribs.

“You can’t chew through that. So we want to remove that, so that all of our flavors can get in the back of the rib as well as the top of the rib, and it’ll make it much more tender.  You just slide your fingers underneath the membrane, pull up, and bam it’s gone.”

After that, liberally coat both sides of your ribs with rub, and be sure to rub it all in so the meat gets lots of good flavor.

Then spread on a coat of secret ingredient #1, mustard. 

“The mustard acts as a sealant on top of the rub, which will help force that rub down into the pores; as well as it contains Vinegar, so it will help these ribs tenderize,” she explains. “You will never taste the mustard in these ribs, I promise.”

Now your ribs are ready for the smoker at 225 degrees for two hours.

“After two hours, these ribs will be a nice, red color and they almost look like they’re done.  But guess what?  They’re still tough.  So what I’m going to do, is I’m going to wrap this up in some foil,” she says.

Wrapping your ribs in foil will help them tenderize and keep them from over-smoking.

Before you wrap them up, shake some more rub on both sides and cover it with another thin layer of mustard.

Then comes secret ingredient #2, apple juice.

Add a cup or two of apple juice to your foil-wrapped ribs to ensure your ribs are cooking with moist heat and not a dry-heat.  The juice will also keep your ribs tender, and add a little bit of sweetness.

Make sure the ribs are wrapped tightly, and put them back in the smoker for another two hours.

When your ribs are done cooking is when you add your barbecue sauce, not earlier.

“BBQ sauces all contain some sort of sugars which will caramelize and actually burn through the cooking process, so you only want to put the sauce on at the very end of the cooking process,” Cookston says.

After you’ve sauced your ribs you’ll add the final touch of Cookston’s last secret ingredient, honey.

“It’ll give your ribs a great shine, and it’ll give them just that sweet taste, which is really good if you like sweet BBQ.”  Plus, “If it looks good, it taste good.  So shiny ribs are better than dull ribs.”

Put your ribs back in the smoker for 10-15 minutes to let the barbecue sauce soak in, and then your ribs are ready to enjoy.

Garrett Tenney is part of the Junior Reporter program at Fox News. Get more information on the Junior Reporters Program here.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2012/07/04/how-to-bbq-like-world-champion/?intcmp=features

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2012 at 15:09
looks really good, andy - i've never heard of putting the mustard on TOP of the rub before, but i like the idea and will give it a try next barbecue!
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2012 at 15:14
That caught my eye as well, I've never seen it done that way before.  I'll be giving it a try as well.

Hope you are having a blessed Independence Day.
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2012 at 05:19
I'm gonna try it too, as that's a new one on me. But, frankly, I don't expect much---if any---difference.

By putting the mustard on first it acts as a glue that holds the rub. Her contention is that by putting it on later it seals the rub in. But where's it going to go using the first method?

If there's any real "secret" to her method it's the apple-juice wrap (some competitpors actuall inject it), and the honey shine.
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2012 at 06:23
Tas and Boilmaker,

Remember I am half French Swiss, and a Dijon Mustard lover ... I would like to try this with French Djion, French Dijon Grain style Mustard, French Green Dijon Peppercorn Mustard and then, the rest of your recipes.

Of course, it shall be roasted in Oven ... as you both know, I do not have a backyard in the centre of Madrid ...

Sounds very tasty ...

Hope you both had a lovely 4th.

Ciao, Margi.   
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2012 at 06:26
Boil Maker.

Thank you very much for posting the article on Mustard Slather For Ribs ... This can easily be adaptable to the Oven ...

Happy 4th.
Ciao,
Margi.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2012 at 09:44
Hi, Margi -

I caught your note here:

Quote I would like to try this with French Djion, French Dijon Grain style Mustard, French Green Dijon Peppercorn Mustard

i've tried dijon a couple of times with beef and it has been wonderful in the oven. with barbecue i didn't have as much luck for some reason, and it seems that plain, yellow mustard (such as "french's") works best. ~ but since you are cooking indoors, this method should work really well with dijon! Tongue
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2012 at 10:19
Tas,

Cool, thanks for your reply.

I have made an oven broiled Dijon Chicken, a Chef Bobby Flay recipe with honey Dijon which came out lovely and very simple awhile back ...

I shall give it a try over in Puglia.

Still have lots to pack as I am going to Puglia, in 2 wks. 

Any vacation plans with Mrs. Tas ?  August ?

How was your BBQ on the 4th with your new BBQ Machine ?

Kind regards,
Margi.  
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2012 at 16:16
Margi, please do let us know how it comes out.

Normally, when using a mustart slather along with a dry rub the mustard flavor does not come through. It's just a glue to help hold the rub in place. But that's when they're made on the grill or in the smoker.

Might be different when oven roasting.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2012 at 18:14
>>>Normally, when using a mustart slather along with a dry rub the mustard flavor does not come through. It's just a glue to help hold the rub in place.<<<

this is also my experience with yellow mustard, but the flavours that make dijon what it is do seem to come through.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2012 at 04:41
I'll have to bow to your actual experience, Ron.

But I don't understand why it would make a difference. Only thing that separates Dijon from yellow mustard is the wine and a bunch of acids (well, a pinch of sugar too). Maybe it's the acid flavors that are coming through?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2012 at 07:13
might be, brook - to be honest , i'm not sure. i just remember trying a dijon and a honey dijon as a bbq slather a few years ago an the results were noticibly negative. there's no logical reason that i can think of, so i might have to try it again and see if it was a fluke!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2012 at 10:43

Tas and Historic Foodie,

Of course, I shall let you know how it turns out, in the Oven, and take a photo with the various Dijón Maille Brand Mustards ...

Interesting that there should be a difference with BBQ Grilling and Oven Roast when using Mustard.  Yes, Dijón has white wine in it ...

Yellow Mustard is quite different in palate profile ...  

We can prepare it at the Condo in Puglia, and I shall let you know ...

Kind regards, and have lovely wkend.
Margi.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic