Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Greece
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Olive Studded Keftedes & Orange

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Olive Studded Keftedes & Orange
    Posted: 11 June 2013 at 10:36

A dear friend who is an Evoo producer, in Peloponnese, Evdominda, had given me this recipe ... I have been re-organizing my uncountable cookbooks, via country, and /or province, to make research or culinary projects much easier.

EVDOMINDA´s  OLIVE STUDDED KEFTEDES SEARED IN ORANGE FLOUR ...

For the orange flour dust ...

6 oranges:  thin strips of zest without white pith
All purpose Unbleached flour
Freshly ground Black pepper to taste

For the Keftedes ...

1/2 pound beef ground
1/2 pound pork ground
1 large red onion minced or grated
3 small to medium sized red ripe juicy tomatoes grated
2 tblsp. dried Greek Spearmint herb ( Middle Eastern stores have )
freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste
185 ml. or 3/4 cup whole milk
45 - 60 grams of breadcrumbs of choice as needed ( 1/2 cup )
Pitted green cracked Mediterranean olives: 1 1/2 cups
1 SMALL ORANGE OF CHOICE: Julienne orange zest ( 1 1/2 cups )
EVOO GREEK PREFERRED ( EDOMINDA ) OR SPANISH LIGHT 100% HOJIBLANCA

1) BLANCH THE STRIPS OF ORANGE ZEST SEVERAL TIMES IN BOILING WATER TO REMOVE SOME OF THE BITTERNESS

2) REMOVE AND PAT DRY WITH PAPER TOWEL, AND PLACE IN VERY LOW OVEN FOR 1 HOUR TO DRY OUT COMPLETELY

3) GRIND IN SPICE GRINDER

4) COMBINE WITH FLOUR AND BLACK PEPPER ( SET ASIDE )

5) COMBINE THE MEAT WITH THE ONON IN MIXING BOWL

6) ADD THE TOMATO, MINT, SALT, PEPPER AND KNEAD WELL FOR 3 MINUTE

7) GENTLY POUR IN MILK AND CONTINUE KNEADING UNTIL ALL IS ABSORBED

8) ADD A FEW TABLESP. OF BREAD CRUMBS AND THEN, ADD THE OLIVES AND JULIENNE ZEST AND RE-KNEAD TO COMBINE

9) COVER MIXING BOWL FOR 2 TO 3 HOURS SO THE FLAVORS MELD AND THE MIXTURE FIRMS UP

10) ALTERNATIVELY, SPREAD THE MIXTURE INTO A THIN LAYER, ON A BAKING SHEET IF YOU WISH AND PLACE IN REFRIGERATOR FOR 15 MINUTES

TO FORM:

1) shape the kedtedes in small oval balls or circular if you prefer
2) roll in the orange dust flour now and sauté in Greek Evoo until golden and cooked through
3) remove, drain and let rest on paper towelling
4) serve at room temperature

*** YIELD:   30 KEFTEDES

SERVE WITH A GREEK SALAD, PITA BREAD OR FLAT FOCCACCIA & IF YOU WISH TZATZIKI OR FAVA SKORDALIA ... AND A LOVELY RED OR ROSE SPARKLING WINE OR CAVA ...

kind regards.
Margi.

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Sponsored Links

africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2013 at 09:08
Thanks Margi

Ahron
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2013 at 13:23
Ahron. Delicious !! Enjoy. Thanks again.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2013 at 09:04
GREEK MEATBALLS ...

Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2013 at 01:32
The mince mix is in the fridge for tomorrow, I cant wait to feed man and boy olives disguised in meatballs... mwahahahahaaa Evil Smile
Thus ending forever the "I don't like olives, so wont eat them" argument.
The orange flour required more time than I had today.
Resident Peasant
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2013 at 01:43
Anne. I am a Meditteranean Triology; French maternal; Venetian Italian & living in Iberia 16 years and olives are a passion !!! I am also a great enthusiast of Greek regional gastronomy & these Meat ovals to die for. Mezze are another paradise for palate. Enjoy !!! Thank you for trying recipe.
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2013 at 17:03
Well this is turning to a work in progress! Last night we ate out (step-son's birthday) so the mix is still in the fridge. I started the orange flour today.
And...
I had a flash of inspirationLamp
After blanching the peel, I kept the water and boiled it down a bit more - lid on, then I used it to wipe down all my stainless steel surfaces.
Perfect natural degreaser and polish!
Resident Peasant
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2013 at 05:34
Anne,

The Keftedes are wonderful with Tzatziki too !!!  

There are 2 recipes; GREECE SECTION; One is Ron´s ( Tas ) and one is mine, which was how I learnt to prepare, I had lived in Greece 1992 - 1994 going on 1995 ... 

Wonderful pair ...

ENJOY. LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING THE RESULTS & SEEING YOUR PICTORIAL. 

Margaux. 
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2013 at 23:59
Margi thank you for a wonderful recipe! These are divine Thumbs Up

I didn't do a pictorial sorry, life has been busy here the past few days. My boys loved the keftedes and have not the faintest notion that they ate half a jar of olives.

Frying the keftedes is a knack and the secret seems to be to just do 10 -12 at a time, cleaning the pan after each batch, mine wanted to stick a bit and the residue would have burned if I had not cleaned after each batch, making it a somewhat time consuming process to cook them.

served them with halved small (30-40cm diameter) red tomatoes seared in evoo and salt and pepper on a bed of rocket/baby leaf lettuce salad and plain boiled rice.
I also made a simple dip of sour cream and tomato paste whipped together. (My idea - no idea how authentic it is Wacko) and blobbed that around the salad and rice.

The whole recipe is quite simple if you are organised.

Notes:
  • Buy pitted olives. I was almost grumpy by the time I had pitted and halved all the olives.
  • My mix sat in the fridge for 36 hours and was fine possibly even better for the time.
  • Fry in small batches.
  • Great lunch box fillers.
  • The orange flour is simple and exquisite, I am going to make a jarful and keep it in the freezer. I am also going to make small jars to include in my Christmas gift hampers. The pepper can be added as a needed.
  • The unused orange flour went into banana - orange - chocolate chip muffins. Interesting because of the pepper, in a good way.
Well worth the effort.

Resident Peasant
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2013 at 00:25
Anne. So pleased to hear how wonderful your dinner has turned out. And thank you for sharing your tips too. I always batch meatballs. Ital. Greek or Swedish. Simplifies ... .Sounds like quite a feast. I lo ve Rocket or Arugula which is what we call it. Rucola in Spanish. Great idea to store orange flour. The dessert sounds fabulous !
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2013 at 06:29
    Effigy, nice ob...you amaze again!  Are you going to post the picture, from the progressive dinner, here too?

nice job!
Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2013 at 09:29
Anne,

Thank you very much for your compliments on the Greek dish above. I too, would love to see your pictorial !!!

I am very proud that you have made your versión of Maria Merblong´s récipe ...

I have been so extraordinarily busy and had been in France for a week in addition to the holidays coming ( I am leaving on the 21st and shall be returning home on January 7th ). I have Christmas Holidays.

If you remind me in January, I shall be more than glad to locate the photographs and post them accordingly.

This is truly a lovely and very subtle sublime Greek authentic mezze.

Have a wonderful holiday.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic