Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Food Groups > Meats, Fish and Eggs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Fry Two, Let Them Shine.....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fry Two, Let Them Shine.....
    Posted: 19 June 2013 at 09:14
A couple of days ago, my youngest son left on a trip to explore the Washington/Oregon/Very-Northern-California coast with his grandmother and aunt a couple of days ago; naturally, I miss the little guy.

Right before he left, he expressed an interest in learning to cook eggs sunny-side-up. I've never really tried this before, preferring my fried eggs somewhere between over-easy and over-medium, so I did a little reading. One source (the Food Network) said to put them in a pan over medium-low heat and then cover them so that the steam helps cook them without turning. this made sence, but when i tried it, the bright yellow of the yolks was covered with an opaque cataract of steamed egg white.

What are your favourite methods for getting true sunny-side-up eggs" I'd like to have this concept down by the time the boy returns from his trip at the end of the month.

ON ANOTHER NOTE: What are some local/regional colloquialisms that you know for sunny-side up eggs, both across the US and around the globe? The two I know are listed here:

Sunny-side-up
Fry two, let them shine
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2013 at 10:08
The secret, Ron, as with most egg dishes, is to work on a very low flame.

True sunny sides are cooked from the bottom upwards, just until the white solidifies. If the heat is too high the bottoms get tough, and can even burn.

Anything hot touches the tops---steam, butter, whatever---will cause that film to develop. Nothing wrong with it, from an eating point of view. But it detracts from that bright, sunshiny appearance you're striving for.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2013 at 10:12
good to know brook - thanks ~

i'll try a lower heat and also maybe that flame-tamer thing that i bought recently. we'll see if it helps.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2013 at 13:13
In Spain Tas; Huevos Fritos are Sunnyside Up & are a common Tapa ... Translation is not accurate in English.

IN MANHATTAN:

In Manhattan; Sunny side Up or " Bulls Eye "  !!  

Have lovely weekend.
Margaux.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2013 at 03:40
Originally posted by TasunkaWitko TasunkaWitko wrote:

A couple of days ago, my youngest son left on a trip to explore the Washington/Oregon/Very-Northern-California coast with his grandmother and aunt a couple of days ago; naturally, I miss the little guy.

Right before he left, he expressed an interest in learning to cook eggs sunny-side-up. I've never really tried this before, preferring my fried eggs somewhere between over-easy and over-medium, so I did a little reading. One source (the Food Network) said to put them in a pan over medium-low heat and then cover them so that the steam helps cook them without turning. this made sence, but when i tried it, the bright yellow of the yolks was covered with an opaque cataract of steamed egg white.

What are your favourite methods for getting true sunny-side-up eggs" I'd like to have this concept down by the time the boy returns from his trip at the end of the month.

ON ANOTHER NOTE: What are some local/regional colloquialisms that you know for sunny-side up eggs, both across the US and around the globe? The two I know are listed here:

Sunny-side-up
Fry two, let them shine

For what it's worth Ron...that is the way I do mine all the time. When the white appears to just barely be set, I add 1 Tbsp water to the pan and cover it....this gives me the most consistent sunnyside eggs.

I find that if I try to let them cook from the bottom up, the yolks always overcook and harden, ruining the eggs.
Perhaps it is a heat control problem, or just a lack of technique on my part, but FWIW, that's how I keep mine consistent.
Go ahead...play with your food!
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2013 at 12:58
Sorry, can't do runny yolks. Don't like 'em.

I'll take mine scrambled thanks.
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
MarkR View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2013 at 17:19
I fry my bacon first, lowering the heat as the bacon finishes. Fry my eggs in the bacon grease occasionally splashing some bacon grease with a spatula on the top to firm it up. Yummm!
Mark R
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2013 at 19:09
Welcome back, Mark. How are the classes going?
MarkR View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2013 at 19:23
Going well, just takes a lot of time. For the end of each section you have several cooking "challenges". You have to photo and explain every step along the way. From Mise en Place to finished plated. Very detailed or they call you on it on review. I keep meaning to past some pics but they are pretty mundane. Learning a lot, helps put the pieces together.
I do look in every once in a while.
Mark R
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2013 at 00:25
My friend just dropped off this weeks eggs.
I trade a bucket of scraps for a dozen free range.
Now...
I know this is not scientifically proven, but I have a hunch that the mum chook has an influence on how possible or not sunny sides are.
Also egg age.
The eggs I got today are all 1-3 days old. If I fry one slow with a knob of butter (salted (grass fed) butter is the ONLY condiment eggs need imo) the egg has a small foot-print and sits up high - up to 12mm (ish - no! I don't measure my eggs, ok, well maybe once) I would need to flip it easy over to get the kind of hot thick oozy I like
If I were to fry one of my meringue eggs, which I keep for two weeks minimum - the albumen would spread out flat and thin, I would trim it before serving, but I think that would equate to 'sunny side up'.
Secret to sunny side up - Age Thumbs Up
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2013 at 07:19
Interesting observation, Anne. And you may be on to something.

I know age does effect the peelability of hard-cooked eggs. The newer they are the harder it is to peel them, because the membrane doesn't want to separate.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2013 at 10:37
Interesting comments so far, guys - thaks to all!

Mark - keep up the good work - we're looking forward to eharing of your progress!

Ann - I think you're on to something there, and have seen where different ages in eggs definitely make a difference. I'll keep that in mind as I embark on my quest!
africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2013 at 08:28
first I Love to do my eggs with olive oil . when  the bottom of the eggs  sat i tilt the pan and scoop hot oil and pour it over the eggs.
 now you need fresh bread and you are ok for the day.
Ahron
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2013 at 12:06
Originally posted by pitrow pitrow wrote:

Sorry, can't do runny yolks. Don't like 'em.

I'll take mine scrambled thanks.

Me too. Although I wonder if it would be different with duck eggs?
MarkR View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2013 at 13:05
Originally posted by Melissa Mead Melissa Mead wrote:

Me too. Although I wonder if it would be different with duck eggs?

Try it and let us know. I'd go for it!
Mark R
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2013 at 15:18
Alas, I don't have any more duck eggs.
MarkR View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2013 at 19:41
Originally posted by Melissa Mead Melissa Mead wrote:

Alas, I don't have any more duck eggs.

Tease!
Mark R
Percebes View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percebes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2016 at 15:22
When I was instructing a breakfast class at a college, I had a regular customer with a unique daily request.

Mag was the head of security on campus and a giant of a man.

Every morning his order was the same.

"Give me three and make em snotty"

So raw that If they were able to be lifted on a spatula-then they were way overcooked.
And sent back.

I think he did it just to torment my cooking students.
I finally got to the point that I would heat a plate in the salamander when I saw Mag head to the order window. I would pull it after about 30 seconds and get the student to crack 3 eggs straight onto the hot plateBig smile

He also ordered 6 strips of near raw bacon and tell the students just throw it on the flat top just long enough to restore body temperature. Toast was ordered blackened-4 slices
I am a wine enthusiast. The more wine I drink, the more enthusiastic I become.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic