Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Food Groups > Fruits, Nuts, Fungi and Vegetables
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Blood Oranges

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blood Oranges
    Posted: 10 July 2013 at 14:10
Wow. Wonderful blood oranges. Thak u Ann; Brook for lovely salad & Ahron.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2013 at 08:46
Looks nice, Ahron! Clap
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2013 at 08:42
this is the  marmalade i did

Ahron
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2013 at 05:01
Ann,

Very lovely ... Sicilian Blood oranges are spectacular.

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Rod Franklin View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2013 at 14:16
Anything with crepes is fine with me!
Hungry
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2013 at 08:41
I'm not big on deserts, Anne. But that one sure appeals. Great flavor profiles without being overly sweet.

Of course, now I have to wait until blood oranges are back in season in this part of the world. :>(
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2013 at 08:32
I do a marmalade from  Cape lemons as a  test 
Ahron
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2013 at 09:59
I really love the idea of the burnt orange sauce ~
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2013 at 15:54

Blood Orange Curd Crepes with Ice-Cream & Burnt Orange Sauce

Blood-Orange Curd

110g caster sugar

4 egg yolks

125ml blood-orange juice

250g unsalted butter, chopped

Crepes

1 cup plain flour 

½ cup caster sugar, plus 1 tbsp 

1½ cup milk 

1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted,

plus extra for brushing

2 egg yolks 

½ cup blood-orange juice

vanilla-bean ice-cream, to serve

Make curd: Place sugar and egg yolks in a heatproof bowl over a pot of simmering water; whisk until sugar dissolves and mixture is light and fluffy. Slowly add orange juice, whisking until incorporated. Gradually add butter; whisk until melted. Whisk for 4-5 minutes, or until mixture coats the back of a spoon. Set aside to cool at room temperature. 

Make crepes: Place flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, milk, butter, and egg yolks in a bowl; whisk until smooth and runny. Pour batter into a jug. Heat a 22cm nonstick pan over medium heat, brush with extra butter and pour in batter to thinly cover the pan’s base. Cook for 1-2 minutes on each side. Flip onto a plate; repeat with remaining batter. Wipe pan; add 1/2 cup caster sugar with 2 tablespoons water. Cook, stirring, until sugar melts. Continue to cook until sugar turns a deep golden colour. Add orange juice; mix until combined. Spread crepes with curd and fold. Top with ice-cream and burnt-orange sauce.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2013 at 15:52
Those sure look good! I wasn't able to get the link to work earlier, so I am glad that you posted it!
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2013 at 15:47
Look what I just learned how to do !  Clap

Blood Orange Shrewsbury Biscuits

Use luscious red-fleshed blood oranges in a sweet jam to fill these delicious Shrewsbury biscuits. Pop the kettle on, sit back, and enjoy!

Makes 12

Blood-Orange Jam

5 blood oranges 

4 cups raspberries

1½ cups white sugar

Biscuits

125g butter

½ cup caster sugar

1 egg

1 tsp vanilla extract

1½ cups plain flour

½ tsp baking powder

½ cup desiccated coconut

icing sugar, for dusting 

To make blood-orange jam: Squeeze juice from the oranges to make 4 cups.

Place juice, raspberries, and white sugar into a heavy-based pot and stir to combine. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for

35-40 minutes, or until jam thickens. 

Preheat oven to 180°C. 

To make biscuits, place butter and caster sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 8-10 minutes, or until mixture is pale and creamy. Add egg and vanilla, and beat until well combined. Add flour, baking powder, and coconut, and beat for another minute.

Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Divide dough into 2 portions and roll out each portion between 2 sheets of baking paper to a 3mm thickness. Using a 7cm fluted cookie cutter, cut out 24 rounds and place on baking trays lined with baking paper. Using a 4cm cookie cutter, cut rounds from the centre of half the biscuits and discard. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until just golden. Let cool. 

Spread solid rounds with jam and top with cut-out rounds. Sprinkle with icing sugar to serve.

Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2013 at 15:22
Well the mint is right next to the tree so this is on the to do list for the weekend (after the oxtail challenge) Thanks.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2013 at 15:01
very possible - but it is has a star of its own on the north-african board now! Tongue
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2013 at 15:00
I thought I had, too, Ron. But couldn't find it. Maybe it's buried in one of the far-ranging discussions about the Maghreb?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2013 at 14:57
Brook - I thought that you had posted that outstanding-looking recipe before in North Africa, but I didn't see it there, so I copied it over there. I am a fan of this one ~
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2013 at 14:51
Blood oranges, just as with the regular kinds, are used all over North Africa. Here, for instance, is a salad recipe from Tunisia:

Orange & Mint Salad

6 blood oranges, peeled, pith removed
2-3 tsp orange-blossom water
2 tbls orange peel, cut into fine matchsticks
3 tbls super fine sugar
About 3'4 cup water
Leaves from a bunch of fresh mint, finely shredded
3 1/2 oz blanced almonds, slice, to cecorate

Slice the peeled oranges thinly, removing any seeds. Arrange in a glass bowl and sprinklw with the orange-blossom water.*

In a small saucepan, mix together the remaining ingredients and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.

Pour the sauce over the oranges and decorate with the almonds.

*I usually cut the oranges into supremes, rather than slicing them.
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2013 at 14:14
Oh yes! Marmalade - thanks. I will do that.
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2013 at 03:13
I will do 
1. orancello (like lemoncello just with oranges )
2. Orange marmalade 
2 Kg orange
2 Kg sugar 

Preparation:
Wash the oranges and poke them lightly with a fork. Transfer to a large bowl and cover with water. Place at least a day or night.

The next Peel the oranges (carefully remove the white skin layer adjacent to Perry). Throw the peels except the three orange peel, cut into thin strips . Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan.

When the water is boiling put the strips in, bring to a boil again, cook for five minutes and strain.

Slice the oranges and disposed pips . Transfer the oranges in a large pot and add sugar Net weight fruit. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and continue cooking for half an hour, stirring. Add the strips .

Continue cooking for another ten minutes and remove from heat. When cool transfer it into a jar and wait until completely cold  before sealing the jar lid.

yummy
Ahron
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2013 at 22:42
My tree is now mature... and laden!
I have this recipe....
Blood Orange and Almond Filo Tart

Need a quick dessert to whip up? This blood orange and almond filo tart will make you look like a star. All you need is a few seasonal ingredients, and voila!

Serves 6

100g butter, softened,

plus 1 tbsp extra

1/4 cup butter, melted

½ cup icing sugar

2 egg yolks

2/3 cup almond meal, toasted

8 sheets filo pastry

½ cup marmalade

2 blood oranges, peeled and

sliced

1 egg, beaten

2 tbsp sugar

crème fraîche, to serve

1 Preheat oven to 180°C.

2 Place 100g softened butter and icing sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer; beat for 8-10 minutes. Add egg yolks one at a time; beat until pale and fluffy. Fold in almond meal; set aside.

3 Lay 1 sheet of filo pastry on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Brush filo with melted butter; repeat, stacking remaining pastry layers. Spread marmalade over pastry, leaving a 4cm border around the edge. Spread almond cream evenly over marmalade. Fold in edges and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

4 Layer orange slices on top of the tart and brush pastry with beaten egg. Sprinkle with sugar and dot with remaining tablespoon of butter.

5 Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until golden and cooked through. Serve with crème fraîche.

...but I feel like I need something more, and inspiration has vaporised...
These fruit are visually pretty and oh so sweet.
Well last week they weren't so sweetConfused but today one on the north side of the tree just dropped in my hand and is perfect... remember we are 180° opposite Approve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic