Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Food Groups > Cheeses and other Dairy Products
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

cheese press Conversion with photos

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cheese press Conversion with photos
    Posted: 15 July 2013 at 08:00
i start Playing more seriously with making cheese so i need a press .
i looked on Google for a press plans . then i got an idea   i will convert a sausage press to a cheese  press. 
Man it worked great .now i got a cheese  press .
this feta cheese is my first test. 

Photos to Follow.

Ahron
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2013 at 09:23
Ahron - I'll be interested in seeing how it goes with this. So far, I've only made Easter cheese, but I'd like to do quark, pot cheese, farmer's cheese and feta-type cheeses. It seems that there are a few, simple cheeses that reach way, way back in time, to our earliest beginnings. These are pretty much the same across a wide area of the world, with only minor differences.

Keep us informed, and thanks!

If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2013 at 04:26
just finished the mozzarella cheese curd and today i will do fresh mozzarella balls .

Ahron
Rod Franklin View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2013 at 04:38
I love it when a plan comes together. Good job making that sausage press work for you. I like this kind of thing.
Hungry
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2013 at 20:53
Nice work Ahron! It's looking good.
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2013 at 01:11
Ahron, this is a topic close to my heart. I am watching and learning, can't wait for the mozzarella.
Resident Peasant
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2013 at 02:00
Nice work Ahron...was that just plain old PVC pipe? 
Go ahead...play with your food!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2013 at 06:33
Ahron,

As you know I am a true French and Mediterranean cheese-a-holic ... This is amazing ... Thanks so much for posting.

I have made my own Ricotta, millions of times, as in Spain, it was not exported from Italia until quite recently. Also, I prepare mine with fresh goat milk, as we have a Dairy Farmer friend ... another point, there are no cattle except in northern Spain; it is too dry and no grazing lands in the high Sierra. Also, same for Puglia --- this is not beef cattle nor dairy cow turf ...

Though in Puglia, I just walk a few metres, and pick some up --- that was just delivered from the Farms, early in the morning ...

Mozzarella di Bufala di Campania, is my heart ... Wow ... Wonderful.

Enjoy the weekend,
Margaux.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2013 at 08:45
Originally posted by Hoser Hoser wrote:

Nice work Ahron...was that just plain old PVC pipe? 
no no it was a new one Wink
yes it is a  16 cm diameter pvc pipe .it  fits great .
Ahron
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2013 at 08:46
Originally posted by Effigy Effigy wrote:

Ahron, this is a topic close to my heart. I am watching and learning, can't wait for the mozzarella.

Something went wrong the cheese did not wanted to melt i think the citric salt was off .
 i will try again next week .
Ahron
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2013 at 08:50
The feta cheese cured till today (6 days) and we had it this morning and it was great .
no more feta from the shop .
Ahron
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2013 at 08:50
thanks to all
Ahron
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2013 at 15:58
Ahron,

Mozzarella is complicated.

I believe Dan Gone Fishing had prepared some a few months back, in the CHEESE SECTION ... I believe.

I have never attempted it, as I do not have the time. However, I also purchase mozzarella di bufala from a dear Italian friend, who is a Restaurant Distributor ... I love my Caprese Salads ... Fresh Genovese Basil,red ripe tomatoes of choice, and of course the cheese, Italian Evoo and Modena Vinegar Balsamic ...

I do have a récipe from Italia for it, however ... As a matter of fact, I shall translate it, and post it for u ...

Have lovely weekend.
Margaux.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2013 at 04:31
Thanks Margi

Ahron
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 09:11

Ahron, I'm glad to hear that the feta went well and hope that the enxt attempt at mozzarella works the way that it is supposed to!

What all is needed for feta? do you have a recipe/procedure? If you get the chance, please post - same when you do the mozzarella! Star
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 10:59
yes i know the mozzarella turned  to be queso fresco ,but i found the problem .
my citric acid was off.
i will try again this week . or till i will succeed.

Ahron
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 11:21
ahh here is the recipe for the feta 
http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net/feta-cheese_topic3568.html

only at this one i used the press and it is much better .
if you can't find mesophilic culture you can use 1 tbs of active yogurt .

Feta on homemade rye bread

Aperol Spritz   

Thanks

Ahron
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 11:46
beautiful!
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2013 at 13:08
That looks fantastic Ahron!
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2013 at 02:38
Thanks guys 
Ahron
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic