Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Africa > South Africa
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Ostrich meatball stew served on pap squares

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Addtotaste Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ostrich meatball stew served on pap squares
    Posted: 02 August 2013 at 23:41

Note: Pap is very close to grits. It's like a white polenta. Braai is BBQ. For red wine I used a  Tinta Barocca, Pinotage and Cabernet Sauvignon blend.

Inspiration behind this recipe: I took a page from my roots, a chapter from my South African surroundings, a paragraph from my culinary experiences and created this flavour story. It's tempting to just leave things as they are but I love being creative in the kitchen. I trust this shows you that sometimes the ordinary (pap and wors) can become extraordinary.

addtotaste_freshlyblogged_week3

Ingredients

For the pap squares

1 litre water
1 tsp salt
500g mielie meal
Half cup PnP mixed dried fruit, chopped finely

For the stew

1 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, diced
2 tomatoes, skinned and diced
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
200ml Drostdy-Hof red wine
1 litre beef stock

For the ostrich meatballs

1 pack ostrich sausages
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

For the crispy green beans

20 green beans, blanched
250g self-raising flour
2 eggs
200ml water
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup seasoned all purpose flour

Pap squares

This can be done the night before.

Bring the water and salt to the boil and slowly pour in the pap stirring constantly as you pour. Toss in the dried fruit. Stir well, drop to a low heat and allow to steam with the lid on for about 10 minutes. Pour into a pyrex dish and pop into the fridge.

When cold, pop out of the dish and cut into squares. Brush with olive oil and pop onto the braai. Braai for about 2 minutes on each side or until slightly charred.

The stew

Fry the onions, garlic and tomatoes in your choice of oil. Add the spices and stir well. Pour in the wine and allow it to cook off some of the alcohol. Add the stock. Allow to simmer.

Ostrich meatballs

Cut the casing of the sausages and pop the fillings into a bowl. Mix in the spices and the seasoning. Shape into meatballs around skewers. Brush with olive oil and place on the braai till they get nice and brown on the outside. Pop the meatballs into the stew.

Crispy green beans

Make sure the green beans are dry. Heat up enough oil to deep fry.

Mix together the self-raising flour and eggs. Add the water slowly until you get a batter that is slightly runny but still sticky. Season the batter. Place the green beans in the seasoned flour and then into the batter. Place the battered green beans into the oil. Allow to brown on one side then turn. Remove onto kitchen towel to drain the excess oil.

Check out some more recipes and reviews - www.addtotaste.co.za
Sponsored Links

Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2013 at 02:36
An absolutely stunning presentation of what seems to be a wonderful dish Hila!Clap

Those green beans will be on my short list for sure, and if I can get my hands on some ostritch meat, there will be some sausage in the offing as well.

Thank you for the inspiration!
Go ahead...play with your food!
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2013 at 08:49
Hila, this not only sounds delicious, but also looks stunning and reads as very easy to prepare - a wonderful creation!

I truly enjoy your tribute to your background and experiences - surely the mark of a talented chef! Thank you for sharing!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2013 at 11:00
Truly a lovely presentation Hila.

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2013 at 23:08
That looks fantastic Hila.  As Hoser says, those beans are definitely on my short list. I can see using them with so many dishes. Thank you .
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2013 at 00:36
Having just been in Sth Africa, I can vouch for ostrich meat.
That looks gorgeous.
Resident Peasant
africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2013 at 05:08
And you did not Visited me 
Ahron
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2013 at 14:34
I found this forum after I got back, Ahron.
I was there with my sons's school rugby team. It was an amazing trip and very full schedule. We arrived in Cape Town and worked our way east to Durban over a 16 day period. The boys played 3 games, Stellenbosch - Paul Roos, Port Elizabeth - Framesby, and East London, Selbourne.  The games were a bit lopsided - the Sth African boys were HUGE but the sportsmanship was outstanding, as was the hosting, we were fed so well - Sth Africa is a great place for good food.
Resident Peasant
Addtotaste View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Addtotaste Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2013 at 06:55
Thank you everyone for such lovely feedback. I am happy that my recipe is easy to follow as it is one of the criteria we are judged on :)

Effigy Paarl Roos boys are living giants.
Check out some more recipes and reviews - www.addtotaste.co.za
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic