Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Food Groups > Grains, Breads and Baking
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Amarula whoopie pies with chocolate pear custard
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Amarula whoopie pies with chocolate pear custard

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Addtotaste Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amarula whoopie pies with chocolate pear custard
    Posted: 05 August 2013 at 05:00
Note: You can use Bailey's instead of Amaralua

To vote please go here until 11 July 10am GMT+2

Inspiration behind this recipe: When the email for this week's challenge arrived in my inbox I was in just the right mood for something sweet. A million ideas rushed through my head, from African Kisses to Amarula creme caramel. All of them just felt too obvious, too easy. Then I remembered that I had been dying to try my hand at making whoopie pies, and what an opportunity it was. I said the words and my head was immediatly filled with ideas and my mouth started watering just at the thought of the smells that would come out my kitchen as the cookies baked.

Inspiration behind this recipe: When the email for this weeks challenge arrived in my inbox I was in just the right mood for something sweet. A million ideas rushed through my head, from African Kisses to Amarula creme caramel. All of them just felt too obvious, too easy. Then I remembered that I had been dying to try my hand at making whoopie pies, and what an opportunity it was. I said the words and my head was immediatly filled with ideas and my mouth started watering just at the thought of the smells that would come out my kitchen as the cookies baked.

Ingredients

For the cookies:

1 1/2 sticks butter
125g sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
200g flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 cup Amarula

For the custard filling:

2 cups milk
2 pears, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
1 tsp vanilla extract
80g dark chocolate, crushed
4 large eggs
1 cup sugar
Pinch of salt

For the almond butter:

1 bag blanched almonds, roasted

The cookies:

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Prepare a baking tray.

Beat the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time. Add vanilla. Whisk together flour and baking powder. Add half to the wet mixture. Add half the Amarula. Repeat. When mixture is combined well, scoop into a piping bag with no tip or a plain tip. Pipe disks onto the baking tray. Put in the oven for 10-15 minutes.

The custard:

In a pot heat up the milk with the pears and vanilla. Cook on a low heat until the pears are soft. Mash up the pears and then add the chocolate. Give the chocolate a chance to melt and in a separate bowl whisk the eggs, sugar and salt together until combined. Stir the milk mixture until the chocolate has melted and mixed in completely. Temper the egg mixture by slowly adding some of the milk mixture into the egg mixture while whisking. Pour the egg mixture into the pot. Continue stirring on a low heat until the custard thickens up to the point where you can make a peak (will be about half the original volume). Pour the custard into a bowl and cool thoroughly.

The almond butter:

Put the almonds in a food processor and process till it turns to a coarse butter. (I used the attachment to my stick blender so no fancy processors needed).

To assemble:

Pipe or spoon mixture onto one cookie. Put the second cookie on top. Make shapes with the almond butter and place on top. Alternatively roll little almond butter truffles and place inside.

Check out some more recipes and reviews - www.addtotaste.co.za
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2013 at 10:35
WOW, Hila ~ I could fall in love with that recipe. The photos alone are enough to really inspire, and the look of the flavour profile is amazing. Once again you have taken inspiration from your background and the regions of your life to paint a vivid and un-tamed, yet down-to-earth and rustic masterpiece. It looks to be balanced very well, and easy to make. Great job!

Looking at this, the wheels got to turning in my head a little - do you think that Kahlúa would work as a substitute for the amarula, or would the coffee/mocha be too much and overwhelm the pear?
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Addtotaste View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Addtotaste Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2013 at 11:38
I think it may work. Coffee enhances chocolate so it might just give another dimension to the dish
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2013 at 15:00
I love this! You really are very clever.
I can imagine the smells as well.
It got me to thinking, I don't have any Amarula and as a household we don't really keep top-shelf, but I do have a NZ liqueur 'Ti Toki' hiding in the back of the cupboard, its an unusual flavour but as soon as I think of pairing it with pears... I am imagining all the wild fruit flavours of the NZ bush.
So, I am going to try this with Ti Toki and I will substitute half of the custard sugar with NZ native bush honey.
I will let you know how I get on.
One question,
Firm or soft pears? We get most varieties here and they are in season now.
Resident Peasant
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Addtotaste Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2013 at 01:26
Thank you for the great compliments :)

Since it's not a cream liquor you may need to add some kind of cream into the recipe. I replaced what would normally be half a cup of milk with the amarula.
Soft pairs will probably work best as you want them to break up into the custard.
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Addtotaste Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2013 at 01:26
Pears Embarrassed
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2013 at 15:00
Hila. These cookies are gorgeous ! Thank you so much for posting. Beautiful profile. During Christmas I always bake cookies for my grandchildren These are definite ! Shall make note of the post. Exemplary art work.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic