Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Best Foods You Can Get - Your Own > Gardening
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Cardoon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cardoon
    Posted: 11 August 2013 at 17:48
This is new to me, I have been offered some cardoon plants.
How would I prepare it if I decide to go ahead and grow them?
Resident Peasant
Sponsored Links

HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2013 at 18:58
Do you like bitter as a flavor? If not, don't even bother. Cardoon is incredibly bitter; more so, even, than endive.

If you go for it, keep in mind that the stalks must be blanched. There are several ways of accomplishing this. For instance, you can gather the stalks and tie them at their tips, then wrap with newspaper. Commercial growers, nowadays, tie them off, then slip a section of PVC pipe over them.

BTW, I tried that the first time, this year, with my leeks and it works like a charm. As much white as you wish, and none of the dirt that comes from hilling.

When you're ready to cook the cardoon, you have to peel it, because the outside is very stringy---like old-fashioned celery, only more so.

Keep in mind, too, that the plants are very bushy. They can grow four feet tall, and take up that much horizontal space as well. So give them some room.
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2013 at 19:03
One other thing, Anne, to slip in your back pocked. While the search engine here at FotW isn't the best (there's an understatement for you), it's a good place to start.

We had a conversation about cardoon last year, for instance, which you can find here: http://www.foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net/seed-catalogs_topic2947.html?KW=cardoon
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2013 at 19:20
No cardoon then; big, need work and taste bad, why would I do that to myself?
Resident Peasant
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2013 at 21:49
Anne. If you look in the Iberian Section; you shall find my magnificant Navarran Cardoon chowder. Navarran cardoon is the furtherest thing from bitter. I totally disagree with the aforementioned.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2013 at 22:14
Now I am confused Pinch
Margi - Every recipe of yours that I have tried has been divine,  so I will trust you. I will put a few Cardoon in the same patch as the Kale.

I love these:

Kale Chips

Ingredients
  • 1 head kale, washed and thoroughly dried
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Sea salt, for sprinkling
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
  2. Remove the ribs from the kale and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces.
  3. Lay on a baking sheet and toss with the olive oil and salt.
  4. Bake until crisp, turning the leaves halfway through, about 20 minutes.
  5. Serve as finger food.
Resident Peasant
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2013 at 22:32
Anne. Firstly; Navarra's Wild Cardoon was utilised by The Romans for it health benefits. There are 2 varieties ; the spring green & the magenta & white. As you know the thick threads on exterior stalks must be peeled from verticle position. Top to bottom. A Basque Chef told me to soak with pinch of sugar before slow simmering. Believe me; worth labor. The chowder recipe I prepare is either in Iberia or Vegetables. I make it with almonds ... When your stalks grow and are ready we can chat before u prepare. It only grows in Navarra from November through February. It is my favorite ! Thank you for Kale Chips recipe. Sounds marvelous. I love most green veggies. I believe a photo of cardoon soup is posted. I am in NYC not Madrid on holiday .. And must get some rest. Hasta luego. Until later. Thank you for compliment.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic