Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Food Groups > Herbs and Spices
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Coconut sugar.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coconut sugar.
    Posted: 18 August 2013 at 22:47
Just wondering?  Any one here use coconut sugar?

This was something I was not familiar with. Recently I read an article in the local paper about how good & healthy it was compared to typical refined sugar, and how it could be used as a direct replacement for white sugar.  So today I was in a local store, and amazingly enough there was coconut sugar.... well, at 5.99 for 475g I thought I'd pick some up to try. Of course tasting raw side by side there is a difference in flavour. I don't want to say what I tasted different as I don't want to influence anyone's opinion. I did make a couple of cups of coffee and used 1 tsp white sugar in one and 1 tsp coconut sugar in the other. I asked my wife and my son to try them. Neither one could tell the difference between the two.

Well, this is a good sign so far. I'm not a big sugar user, so I think that the cost issue is not that big a deal. I like the fact that there is much more good stuff in it. More potassium, more magnesium, more zinc, more iron plus more B vitamins. All this more than regular sugar or even brown sugar.

Sounds like good stuff. But is it?
Sponsored Links

africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2013 at 00:13
thanks it sound interesting i will look for in our health store .
Ahron
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2013 at 02:00
Yes indeed...I'm hearing more and more about different coconut products....will certainly give this one a try.
Go ahead...play with your food!
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2013 at 12:33
I've never heard of it, but will keep an eye out for it ~
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
priya456 View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote priya456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2017 at 02:29
Coconut sugar isn't a nutritional super food, but it does offer more vitamins and minerals than white table sugar. Coconut sugar also provides small amounts of phytonutrients, such as polyphenols, flavonoids and anthocyanidin, and antioxidants.
ghost
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic