Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Food Groups > Meats, Fish and Eggs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

The difference between Boeuf and Vache.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The difference between Boeuf and Vache.
    Posted: 20 August 2013 at 16:14
Rick Stein’s French Odyssey Episode 2

Finally my personal purely observational theory is given a professional voice. I was delighted to see in this episode Rick was given a lesson by the French butcher who placed two slabs of what looked like the loin area, side by side and stated ‘vache’ and then ‘boeuf’.
I know this is four year old stuff and maybe up there it is common knowledge. Based on what I found Googling, an awful lot of folk don't even know to look for mountain oysters...

Now I have realized this from the first time we butchered a 2 year old heifer, I just knew I liked the meat, ever since I raise a  heifer for the freezer whenever I can. In my opinion (and this is just that) the heifers are more delicate, and marble easily on grass, a plus for us because our animals are outdoors on grass 365/365.I have tried to discuss this with local farmers - the normal response is more or less dismissive, as in ‘what would she know’.

What the French butcher was saying is that this meat is female, the other male, there is a difference which is recognised and in France (maybe other European countries as well) you can order your meat by gender.

This little snippet of fact has made me very happy.

Resident Peasant
Sponsored Links

africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2013 at 02:53
I all the time says that female are softer than male. LOL.
now seriously when i do turkey breast pastrami i insist on a female breast ,they are soft and juicy .
Ahron
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2013 at 09:43

Anne and Ahron,

In Spain and Italy; fish too ...

Interesting post.

Kind regards.
Margaux.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2013 at 16:52
Originally posted by Margi Cintrano Margi Cintrano wrote:

fish too ...

Ermm Now there is a smoking hole in my knowledge...how do you tell which fish is which?
Resident Peasant
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2013 at 18:02

Anne,

If a fish is protected and / or farmed, you are eating Male fish ...

If the fish is wild, as in most Scandinavian waters, and the large majority of it is sold to Japan, and Iberia, it could be either gender; however, female fish are much more tender and delicate.

Please note: I have an expert fish monger, in the business since he grew up in a fishing business ... 6 generations ... His 2 grown sons are also fish mongers. Miguel has shown me --- so when he reopens, closed for vacation; I shall take some photos when I return to Madrid and show you on a new thread ...

Also, aubergine or eggplant ...

The male is preferred because, it is sweeter and has less seeds.

The bottom of the eggplant / aubergine can distinguish the difference. Ask your Market to show you ...

I have no plans to prepare Melanzane di Lecce ( eggplant lasagne without the pasta ) until the late autumn when it turns very cold here.

When I do prepare it, I will post the male aubergines ...

Kind regards.
Margaux.

Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2013 at 18:07
Jeez I am dumb!
Ours is all caught wild, but on reflection -  the ones with roe must be girls - eat those fresh, and smoke the boys.
Resident Peasant
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2013 at 18:14
Anne,

The wild females are chockful of roe ...

The protected and / or farmed; are all male ...

You got it ...

Have nice August.

Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2013 at 20:45
Not much farmed fish down here yet.
I am referring to wild sea-fish, Snapper, Tarakihi,  Kahawai, Mullet, Gurnard, Moki are what we catch mostly, much further south you get blue cod.
Can't wait for fishing weather. I fish from a sea kayak.
Resident Peasant
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2013 at 22:08
I have all these weird images in my head!!!!   
I can just see myself going to the market and asking for a male aubergine!Tongue Maybe I'll send my wife instead!! 
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2013 at 23:45
OK...now I'm probably going to get arrested for fondling all the eggplants at the market in a vain attempt to see which is the male....Tongue This demands a bit more research on my part I guess.
Go ahead...play with your food!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2013 at 23:55
ooh!...ooh! I get it!
This one must be the male
Go ahead...play with your food!
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2013 at 00:35

Ahron
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2013 at 00:38
....men

Resident Peasant
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2013 at 02:41
Originally posted by Effigy Effigy wrote:

....men

I don't know what you see but i see 

Ahron
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2013 at 10:56
Originally posted by Effigy Effigy wrote:

....men

Yeah! You gotta love us!!!!
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2013 at 11:01
Originally posted by Hoser Hoser wrote:

ooh!...ooh! I get it!
This one must be the male
So? How much did you fondle that one!!!!Wink
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2013 at 15:21

THIS IS SO SIMPLE ... THIS IS A MALE EGGPLANT OR AUBERGINE ...

THE INDENTATION IS LARGE LIKE A NAVEL ---

( FEMALE EGGPLANTS HAVE ALOT MORE SEEDS, THUS, ARE MUCH MORE BITTER & A TINY INDENTATION OR NAVEL AT BOTTOM )

img://I1265PHOTOBUCKET.COM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic