Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Food, Health and Wellness > Food Safety
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Microwave Popcorn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Microwave Popcorn
    Posted: 26 August 2013 at 07:54
Sponsored Links

Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2013 at 15:39
Thanks for that. Its rather timely for me - I have just planted my first ever attempt at home grown popcorn. I will let you know how that works out in January.

I give the boys ACT II as a rare treat - like any such foods one bag a month is plenty and they get to share it between the two of them. Surely the real issue is one person consuming of three bags of popcorn a day?

Following on from the good doctor's comment that the chemical occurs naturally in real butter, I am probably at greater risk from buttering my toast in the morning, baking, and mashing the spuds at night.

That said, I probably won't ever buy it again.
Resident Peasant
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2013 at 16:29
Yeah, 3 bags of microwave popcorn per day translates into more problems than respiratory. 

I thought it was only the US that allows poison on market shelves.  It's perfectly legal to sell meat infected with salmonella here.  Beat that one LOL

AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2013 at 21:43
 Another wonderful bit of Bullshit pseudoscience. Some typical guy pulling little bits and pieces of various studies to push forward an agenda.
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2013 at 21:53
Originally posted by AK1 AK1 wrote:

Another wonderful bit of Bullshit pseudoscience. Some typical guy pulling little bits and pieces of various studies to push forward an agenda.
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2013 at 07:33
Putting aside whether or not the artificial butter causes health problems, I'd have to say, after tasting microwave popcorn, that anyone who eats 3-5 bags a day of that crap just about deserves anything that happens.

gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2013 at 09:37
Originally posted by HistoricFoodie HistoricFoodie wrote:

...after tasting microwave popcorn, that anyone who eats 3-5 bags a day of that crap just about deserves anything that happens.
 LOL

Diet and human nutrition is one of the most controversial topics in the world today.  It is vast, complex and continuously changing  as new research expands our understanding.  Progress is impeded by producers ever-lobbying to keep their products on the shelves.  There will always be large discrepancies in research results between independent laboratories and producers funding research on their own products.

The responses received to “Microwave Popcorn” are typical to any nutritional research that threatens a change in dietary habits.  One attacks the messenger while the other attacks the victim when the real question is why are known poisons and carcinogens allowed on the shelves and into our food supply at all?  The answers are always the same.  Follow the money.  

I’d be happy to post several dozen more references to the microwave popcorn issue since it is so well documented.  Heck the issue with MP bag linings was never even discussed.

There is something very broken in our system of food production and distribution. 

AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2013 at 14:37
Originally posted by gracoman gracoman wrote:

Originally posted by AK1 AK1 wrote:

That is cool! I like it. That there is exactly why I don't listen to all the so called experts. Especially the Quack that you quoted. You have a guy here who is a vegan and part of the humane society.  What do you think he's gonna say??? Ya think there's an agenda?
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2013 at 16:21
graco...there is also the exploitation of studies as well.  Too many times there are decades of articles referencing a first, ill written, article of an initial laboratory study. 

I would rather discuss different types of popcorn seeds too.
Enjoy The Food!
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2013 at 16:41
Originally posted by gonefishin gonefishin wrote:

I would rather discuss different types of popcorn seeds too.

I got my seeds from an online auction site.
When I was in Ohio I was offered some Amish Red Popcorn seed but there was no way I would have been able to bring it home. I still wish I could get my wee green thumbs on some, for now I am happy with the yellow seeds I have, I know it will grow - drying it is going to be an whole other matter in the humidity of a NZ summer.
Resident Peasant
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2013 at 16:52
   Nowadays we order all our popcorn from Riehle's Select Popping Corn.  Our favorite is the Baby White Rice, although not everyone likes a small kernel.  For a topping I like a good fresh Olive Oil and either table salt or Tabasco salt (for that little kick).  A nice Evoo is way better than butter on popcorn...to my taste anyway Wink
Enjoy The Food!
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2013 at 20:44

I'm having great fun with this.  Please don't make more of this than what it is.  More to follow.  You can count on it.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2013 at 06:32
Originally posted by gracoman gracoman wrote:

I'm having great fun with this.  Please don't make more of this than what it is.  More to follow.  You can count on it.

You say, "I'm having great fun with this" and "Don't make it out to be more than it is?"

It is wonderful (sarcasm) that we have a bunch of little quips to post to make our feelings known.  Sometimes you even get quotes from some of the greats, such as Nikola Tesla, Einstein, Bohr, Bohm, Leonardo of Pisa (not to mention Jefferson, Adams, Plato, etc, etc).  Most times, like you, when people post the quotes from these people they do it as if they have the opinion of the author on their side...almost as if they believe it is some sort of validation. 

I would caution you (again), when reading these articles make no conclusion until you have read the original study in full.  They do not always match up to the internet (or news/media) opinion that has been reported...sometimes this misinformation goes on for decades.  Because I don't have the time, or inclination to look for the original study on your microwave popcorn topic I'll refrain from making any final determination.  On the face, I suspect there is certainly some truths in the video you linked.

Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2013 at 06:51

Graco, this may not mean what you think it does.  The statement above is not saying that the voice of science is always correct.  Science has gotten it wrong many times in our history, sometimes very wrong.   It can just as easily read...The studies in which we teach are sometimes wrong, our perception and understanding sometimes flawed.  But, given the chance to prove itself, science will always reveal what the truth is.

That is how I read it. 

Enjoy The Food!
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2013 at 08:45

I think we can all agree that too much buttered popcorn is going to do a person in; we can probably also agree that the microwave-packaged stuff is probably not as good in many ways (including taste, quality and nutritional value) as "the real stuff."

As an alternative to all-out war on the subject, I offer this, if a person simply doesn't want to take a moment to make it "the old-fashioned way" (which happens to be my preferred method):

Quote Thursday, September 27, 2012

Microwave Popcorn . . . No Bag Required!

Today’s post is one of those ideas that I just couldn’t get out of my head! It’s been driving me crazy for about a week now…ever since I spied it on Everything But The

microwave popcorn

Microwave popcorn? Without the bag? It can’t be. Can it?

(Please tell me I’m not the ONLY ONE who had never heard of this idea!)

Well, of course I had to find out for myself. The curiosity was killing me! Besides, it’s so easy…it’s almost TOO easy!

The ingredients: popcorn.

The tools needed: bowl, plate, microwave.

The instructions: put 1/4 cup popcorn in microwave-safe bowl, cover with microwave-safe plate, cook in microwave oven for 2 minutes, 45 seconds.

microwave popcorn 11

Done. Well, almost. You see, I had a little trouble with my first batch.

microwave popcorn

Yep, that is ONE popped kernel you see there. I was all ready to write this off as a myth, a fallacy, a JOKE! But something told me there might be some “user error” involved here. Believe it or not I do make mistakes once in a great while! ;-) I know, it’s hard to believe.

I had a sneaking suspicion the bowl and plate I used might have been the culprits behind this “FAIL”. I wasn’t quite sure they were “microwave-safe”, and the plate didn’t seem to be a good fit with the bowl.

Let’s try this again, shall we?

microwave popcorn

This time I used a bowl and plate I was SURE were microwave-safe and the plate was a nice fit with the bowl. Ahhhh….the sweet sound and smell of popcorn popping!

(WARNING: the plate and bowl will be VERY HOT! Use CAUTION when removing them from the microwave.)

microwave popcorn

Here is the second batch. That’s more like it. However, there WERE a fair number of unpopped kernels left in the bottom of the bowl (pet peeve #473).

But no worries….Lindsey of Everything But The…, who brought this brilliant idea to my attention, said that the unpopped kernels could be returned to the microwave and given another go-round.

microwave popcorn

Well, would you look at that! After another two minutes almost every last kernel was popped!

Now let’s think about the implications of this for a minute!

LESS CALORIES. No need to cook in oil on the stove.

LESS MONEY. No need to buy the expensive microwave popcorn from the store, and even if you’re making your own in a brown paper lunch sack, you’re still having to buy the bags. No need to buy an extra appliance (ie. an air popper).

LESS WASTE. No bag to throw away. NO KERNELS left unpopped to throw away.

I’d say that’s a WIN-WIN-WIN! :-)

microwave popcorn 10

Oh….and by the way….it tasted every bit as good as any brand name microwave popcorn or stove top cooked popcorn I’ve ever had. It tasted just like popcorn should taste. Fresh, crunchy, tasty. Quite possibly the PERFECT snack!

Hopefully this will put this topic to bed, as it is on the verge of getting silly ~ Wacko

On a side note, I've never considered putting olive oil on popcorn, but it sounds worth a try - I can see possibilities with it, especially in combination with certain herbs or spices, and a minimal amount of salt, perhaps.

Please guys, don't make me bring out Barney!

If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2013 at 17:21
When the kids were little and I couldn't afford 'Bags' I would go to our local bulk food trader "Bin Inn" and buy loose popcorn to microwave in just that fashion, so nothing new there!
The youngest is 17, and so is the microwave Tongue

With Admin's permission I'm going to flick this topic to 'gardening' now because I am growing some corn for popping this year. How is that for an experiment?
Resident Peasant
Lupinus View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupinus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2013 at 17:37
Why fiddle with a bowl and plate?

Brown paper lunch bag, add popcorn and a little squirt of olive oil/butter/salt, fold the top and crease to secure...add a staple if so inclined.

Pop just like you would a regular old commercial bag of popcorn. And no hot bowl to contend with.

As to the health risks, it's like anything else that's processed. It's going to generally be filled with crap and not good for you in quantity. But I call bull on study.
K.I.S.S.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2013 at 17:40
Lupinus! great to see you, my friend! Beer
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic