Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Latin America > South America
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Cebiche de la costa norte

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cebiche de la costa norte
    Posted: 27 August 2013 at 10:19

CEBICHE ( CEVICHE ) is simply marinated shellfish, fish, vegetables and fruits in an array of numerous combinations ...

There are uncountable récipes; however, the basic Peruvian style of marinating amongst the natives on the north coast is as follows:

10 peppercorns Green
1 clove minced garlic
1 tablespoon of sea salt
1 cup of fresh cilantro herb minced finely
2 Green chili peppers ( optional )
500 ml. of fresh Lime Juice
500 grams of fresh fish and fresh shellfish of choice
2 large jícamas
1 tiny chili - called ahí amarillo - or a dried red cayenne / guindilla

1)in a mortar, with pestle, add: the peppercorns, garlic minced, cilantro minced, the sea salt, and pound the ingredients; add very gradually and carefully, the fresh squeezed lime juice.

2) slice the fish extremely finely, and place in a large glass casserole or clay ( do not use metal or plastic; the lime shall have a chemical reaction that is not positive )

3) Gradually, add the lime mixture with the herbs and spices, and just cover the fish / shellfish ..

4) peel and slice finely the jicama and add to the concoction and break up the chili pep and sprinkle.

5) MARINATE FOR NO MORE THAN 20 MINUTES, OR YOU SHALL HAVE SOME VERY UNPLEASANT CEBICHE ...

I EMPLOYED FRESHLY CAUGHT IN SEASON SHELLFISH & THE CEBICHE MARINATION IS MORE MODERN, THAN THE TRADITIONAL NORTHERN COAST OF PERU .. HOWEVER, THE SAME ... I REMOVED THE CILANTRO, AS PHIL DOES NOT CARE FOR IT VERY MUCH ... AND JICAMA IS ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO PURCHASE WHERE WE ARE ... I added a bit of red onion very finely and added substainable organic corn kernels ...

*** ENJOY ... IT IS A VERY SUBLIME EXQUISITE FIRST COURSE, APPETISER OR MAIN MEAL FOR THOSE WHO DO NOT EAT HEAVY.

IMG://i1265photobucket.com
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Sponsored Links

Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2013 at 16:11
Oh roll on summer!
I adore marinated fish. I have put my favorite up over in NZ.
Resident Peasant
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2013 at 16:28

Anne,

Yes, cebiche is divinity ... It is also quite diversified too.

One can add red onion, sweet potato, sustainable corn kernels, exotic fresh fruits, kiwi and mango or papaya or melón or strawberries for example ...

It is surely a favorite ... We have it quite often ... And almost any wild ocean fish shall work or shellfish ...

Calamari, squid, mussels, clams, crab, oysters, cockles, shrimp / prawns or sea scallops or both of any type, octopus, ray fish very finely sliced etcetra ...

Thank you and have lovely day ...

Margaux.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic