Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Best Foods You Can Get - Your Own > Gardening
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Spring walk

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spring walk
    Posted: 27 August 2013 at 23:53
I know many of you are going into the end of summer and Winter is just around the corner. So I thought let's have perpetual summer!
Just as your days begin to close in, mine are lengthening. So don you wellies and come for a walk in NZ spring rural style.

If you have chooks, grab that chook food bucket.

I don't keep them anymore, I prefer to have a vegetable garden, but first out the door face north ... rosemary and bumble bees - I might swap this with a video - for now early sun sparkling in the dew.

passing the Bay tree - jeez I was dumb - it was a cute little shrub in a pot 20 years ago, never to mind it is a fragrant tree and the bees love it.

Looking south two much in need of TLC peach trees and the old strwberry plants in a fresh new planter.
Did you grab that calf milk bucket?
We need it now...

while they are suckling lets look north and west...

and a few zoom in's
Don't you just love how peas do that!

I will add to this as the season goes on.

Hope you enjoyed.

Resident Peasant
Sponsored Links

Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2013 at 12:27

Anne,

Truly wonderful post ... Very well captioned and extraordinaire photos
and thank you.

A delight.

Margaux..
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2013 at 19:39
Those were the days Wink
Rod Franklin View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 August 2013 at 06:41
Thanks for that walk through your garden. That was nice.
Hungry
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2013 at 19:28
I love that you have a real bay tree. I don't think we can grow them here.
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2013 at 19:48
Originally posted by Melissa Mead Melissa Mead wrote:

I love that you have a real bay tree. I don't think we can grow them here.
I love my bay tree too, but I am concerned about the 15m shadow it will eventually cast Confused Right now 5m is bad enough.
Resident Peasant
africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2013 at 15:46
great job Effigy
Ahron
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2013 at 23:38
I love this time of year!
Everything is happening so fast now - the evenings are longer and today was hot!
I was outdoors all day...
... so here is what the sun has done in just two weeks.
Parsley - its a small bush now.

Thyme is flowering

Chives are thickening and lengthening again

Oregano is spreading and new shoots all-over - yup that is a random endive on the right, I am moving it to the lettuce patch tomorrow - oddly I only just noticed it, in the photo. >.< I was in the garden all day!

Celery - lone soldier, this one was a random self sown, I just keep pulling stalks off the outside.

"Three Sisters" - the first three started

Peaches! .....Eventually. But pretty right now

Look! First strawberry Clap I built a bird proof cage over them today, so this year blackbird will have to eat bugs.

Look how much the peas have grown in two weeks!

Cilantro - new

I also planted out Raddicio, Chinese greens, beetroot and rainbow cauliflower

Like I said this is a walk through so tha you can have spring and summer all year round, more will follow Smile
Resident Peasant
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2013 at 23:43

Anne,

Truly Beautiful vegetables, herbs and strawberry plants ...

Having lived in major city apartment mid rise and high rise buildings all my life, I truly appreciate.

Thank you for posting.

Margi.
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2013 at 00:05
Margi - I have three healthy baby Cardoons!

Sadly I did a dumb thing - I left the seed packet in my jeans-pocket and washed them -so I had to plant the the remaining pre soaked seeds - if they all sprout I will have 15 seedlings. I am scouting around the garden wondering where on earth I will put 15?  I think I will be digging this weekend.
Resident Peasant
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2013 at 00:10

Anne,

HA HA HA ...

I am very excited about your Cardoon ...

I look forward to hearing all about their success, and seeing some photos ...

It happens to all of us, once in awhile. I strive to check my trousers and jean pockets for change ... and money notes !!!

Imagine, money forgotten about !!!

Have super weekend.

Wow, it is 8am and have to start getting ready. I have alot of food related errands to do, the library returning of a book ... and a magazine lunch at 14.00 hours.

Have lovely weekend.
Margi.

HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2013 at 00:33
Anne, in case you didn't see the early threads on this, when your chives blossom, use the flowers to make chive vinegar. It's a fantastic herbal condiment.

Don't take my word for it. Just ask Melissa Mead, who's been making it since I first presented the idea. She'll confirm that the only problem is running out of the stuff too quickly.
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2013 at 18:35
It's delicious, and it looks gorgeous!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic