Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Food Groups > Meats, Fish and Eggs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

How would you get yours cut up?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How would you get yours cut up?
    Posted: 31 August 2013 at 00:29

So confronted with this what would you choose? You can see my selection on side A. (Bear in mind it has to last a full 12 months).

Here is another one, which is from the butcher we use now - I couldn't get photo bucket to co-operate so I just did a text copy and paste...

NAME………………………………………..
PHONE………………………………………
NUMBER OF PEOPLE TO PACK FOR …………….    

Basic Beef Breakdown $1 per kilo  
              If you require other cuts please write down your requirements                                 
  Sirloin     
  Eye Fillet
  Rump
  Scotch
  Blade-Cross cut
  Chuck
  Shin on Bone
  Gravy Beef
  Rolled Roast
  Topside
  Schnitzel-Thick Flank
  Corned Silverside
  Corned Brisket
  Sausages. (packed in 6,9 or 12
  Mince  (packed in 500gm, 750gm or 1kg bags)
  Sausage meat tubes

EXTRAS: 
Stuffing $5 (rolled roast, topside)
Extra sausages $3 a kilo  (10% carcass weight free)
Extra Mince N/C
T-bone N/C (sirloin and fillet)
Halving $10
Tenderising $5
Extra Corning $5
Extra Schnitzel $5
Whole rump, eye fillet, scotch or sirloin vacuum packed $2.50 per piece 
Gluten free/ Flavours $10 per batch
All + GST                     

I declare that I am the owner of this animal material.
1. I have been actively involved in the day today maintenance of the animal including providing for the physical, health, and behavioral  needs of the animal for 28 days; or
2. I am a farmer of animals of this kind.

Signature……………………………………….          Date…………….

Have fun!

Resident Peasant
Sponsored Links

Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2013 at 02:13
As is often the case, I see we are two peoples separated by a common language Anne.Tongue

I have no idea but will assume that a bolar must be similar to what we would call a blade roast up in these parts, and would that "silverside" just be a hunk of brisket?

Anyway....I think I'd have it done about the same way you did except for the schnitzel...I'd go with stew meat and slice my own schnitzel when the time came.
Go ahead...play with your food!
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2013 at 02:32
http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net/freezer-full-of-beef_topic3617.html

Might help.
Silverside = Brisket!   (slaps Hoser)

Brisket is the wobbly bit between the font legs; extending up. It's full of fat and is commonly corned into a product known as povi masima here. (Polynesian heart-attack-on-a-plate)

Silverside is (direct paste from wiki)...  a cut of beef from the hindquarter of cattle.

I love to talk meat. 
Resident Peasant
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2013 at 08:18

Anne,

In a Cosmopolitan city; my fanstastic Butcher, Javier, handles all of this ... The Vet, handles the carving and on special occasions if I want to prepare a specialty dish, he is quite an adept carver.

Very interesting post, not only for the content, but the Zealander colloquisims and names.

Anne, this would surely be fanstastic if you posted in the Library, for future reference.

Perhaps if you wish to, along with the British, Canadian and American
terms used.

Could be an interesting team Project.

As you know, SPAIN´s natural pasture grazing lands are only in the north and northwest of the península.

The south is completely semi desert arid, and is best suited for Goats and Sheep. We are both not big meat consumers, however,we do enjoy our Roasts; especially suckling piglet, leg of lamb, roast veal stuffed with pinenuts, and dried fruits or olives, leek and shallot or fresh spinach... and a good prime rib and a roast beef on holidays.

STEAKS VARIETY CUTS: our treats to ourselves, and favorite is filet mignon ( solomillo de buey ). The difference between the French slicing and the Spanish is:

The French is roundish on 3 sides, and straight cut on 1 side. The Spanish is totally spherical / circular ...

Same cut of Beef, just sliced differently.

Thank you for posting.
Margaux
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2013 at 15:43
This is a south african cut

hope it will help 
Ahron
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2013 at 17:25

Ahron,

Thank you so much for your Chart on South African Beef Cuts.

I have a Spanish one; and I shall scan the photo on Sunday, and post it with the English translations ...

I like learning ...

Margaux, Kindest regards.
Lupinus View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupinus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2013 at 18:18
Always interesting to see different ways people have their meat cut, and how the standard names and cuts vary in different areas.

These days I've taken to buying primals and breaking them down myself. Find it to be much more economical and I always get it the way I want it, and can tailor it to the season and what mood I've been in.
K.I.S.S.
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2013 at 19:07
The variations are fascinating. I hope that this discussion helps with the appreciation of how the same foods can come to appear very different in the words of another people, yet are identical in reality.

Lupinis; Primals would be an excellent way to buy. If I were unable to raise my own, that's one way I would be looking at.
My sister (who is an urban type) belongs to a co-op. The group buy a calf and pay for its rearing and grazing and get their meat that way, it still works out far cheaper than buying supermarket packs. Another way is to get a group and buy a complete carcass from the abbatoir. (If you are permitted to do that over there).

The actual butchering is a skill, but it isn't rocket science. If you have a good knife and plenty of time it's not that difficult, AND you get all the bits to make biltong and sausages, stock and dripping etc.
Resident Peasant
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2013 at 19:11
Ill make a start on that Margi, I am sure this extends way past just meat cuts, it is a fascinating topic.
Resident Peasant
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2013 at 08:35

OUR FOUNDER, RON FISCHER, ( TAS ) HAD POSTED THIS USA BEEF CUT CHART IN THE " MEATS " SECTION ...

IMG://i1265photobucket.com
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2013 at 08:40

Anne,

I too am fascinated, though like your sister I am 100% Urban Urban !

Tas had posted these charts for our FOTW members for excellent reference however, they are North American.

I have a Spanish one, which is quite interesting from my Bovine Vet, from the RIBERA DEL DUERO DESIGNATION OR ORIGIN ...

It shall be interesting to compare the N.Z., South African Chart from Ahron; North American and the I Iberian cuts and make for a fanstastic reference for all English and Spanish speakers.

I also have the Lamb / Sheep and the Pork Charts.

Thank you Anne,
and Ahron and of course, Ron.

Kind regards.
Margaux.

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2013 at 08:48

IBERIAN SPANISH BEEF CUTS - REFERENCE FOR ALL PREPARING SPANISH CUISINE

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2013 at 10:29
Personal preference ONLY, but I like mine to be all boneless - very well-trimmed - either in whole, meal-sized roasts or in 2-pound packages; brisket whole (packer cut), burger as lean as possible - and don't forget the oxtail!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2013 at 10:31
And don't pay to have it corned - it's too easy to do it yourself!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2013 at 11:38
   Let my pieces be bone-in, whole and trimmed of no fat.  
Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2013 at 09:45
I'm going in on only half a pig with another guy at work, so I don't have full flexibility to get what I want.  But I'll see how the pigs are.  Another guy at work is raising them and he said he plans to finish the next batch on walnuts and acorns, as he'll have alot of them on his farm for this batch of hogs.  All natural fresh milled feed with no animal by products and no doughnuts, bread, etc. 

Below is our little guy...although he has a few more pounds on him right now.  It's way too late to name him, so we'll just call him Dinner Thumbs Up

Enjoy The Food!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2013 at 11:54
Nice porker, Dan.

You know it's never a good idea to name an animal you intend eating---especially with young kids involved. But "Dinner" certainly works if you have to.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2013 at 13:26

Acorns ... oh yes, Illinois Iberian Ham ! Sounds wonderful ... great sausages too ...

I agree with Brook, no names ...

Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 September 2013 at 14:48
Total agreement, never name your food.
Although we did have some punning fun with the beef steer we named 'Monkey'.
Monkey meat is yummy
Resident Peasant
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2014 at 19:17
   I gotta a winter pig coming sometime in February.  This batch will be full Berkshire hogs...it'll be a half hog order.  We have the same butchering instruction sheet that most people have, like Effigy's list above.  I'm going to try and get the pieces processed as little as possible.  Skin on/bone-in.  I'll probably get the shoulders and ham cut in half, but that's about it.  Liver, cheeks, etc will be coming with me as well.  I'm also going to see if they could just wrap the scraps, I would rather grind my own...and make my own sausage.  We'll see how much flexibility I have.  I've got a whole hog ordered for fall, I think it'll be a Berkshire/Tamworth mix  (which is a nice piece of pork!)

good day all!
Enjoy The Food!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic