Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Food-Related Topics > Around the Kitchen Table
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Progressive Dinner for Sept 5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Progressive Dinner for Sept 5
    Posted: 05 September 2013 at 14:21

Brook;

I totally agree, on just mentioning a variety of wines and non alcoholic beverages that would work with each of dishes, as mentioned regarding the mushrooms and artichokes --- being difficult to pair, and a semi sweet White sparkling wine for example would reduce the natural bitterness in these 2 products. ( can suggest without branding 95% of the time ) ...

I agree ...

Thanks ...

Marge.

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Sponsored Links

africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2013 at 13:11
 guys this is a display of greatness well done.
Ahron
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2013 at 08:43
Outstanding plate, Dan - you really made that look incredible, and brought Brook (err... Ripart's) vision to reality!
Thanks to all for the compliments on the gefüllte gurken, It really is a favourite that is highly recommended. For any who want to try it, I do recommend reading the linked thread; it's got some good information that will help with the "learning curve."
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2013 at 07:57

Good Afternoon, Dan and Brook,

This is on my short list ! This sea bass with red wine & mushrooms is amazing. Da, thank you so much for posting your photos.

Have to wait for wild mushroom season, it begins in late October and early November ... It is still 80 degrees farenheit throughout the península here ...

I shall definitely plan & reserve a lunch or dinner at Eric Rippert´s the next time I am in Manhattan ...

Thanks again to all the Participants,

for a truly beautiful dinner ... Sheer Reading and visual pleasure.

Kind regards. Margi.
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2013 at 07:41
Originally posted by HistoricFoodie HistoricFoodie wrote:

Glad you enjoyed the dish, Dan. But thank Eric Ripart. I was just the messenger.

I think I may start cooking more of Eric Ripert's recipes.  This dish exhibited an understanding , harmony and balance that I simply do not have a good enough grasp of.  practice, practice, practice!  The balance in this type of dish is what I used to expect when I would go to higher end restaurants in Chicago, but they usually fell short.  My comparison (and bar) has always been the varying times I've eaten at Le Francais (a French restaurant that has been closed for some time now...was in Wheeling,Il. ).
Enjoy The Food!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2013 at 23:05
Glad you enjoyed the dish, Dan. But thank Eric Ripart. I was just the messenger.

Great sounding appy, Ron. I've still got cukes growing, so guess what's on the agenda this week.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2013 at 23:03
Well, guys, we really out-did ourselves with this one. A really great meal, well balanced but with a range of flavors. Personally, I'm real happy with this one, and wonder if we'll be able to top it with the next sequence.

Here's the recap:

Amuse-Bouche (bonus from Dan): Tomato Bread with Prosciutto.
Appetizer: Gefullte Gurken (stuffed cucumbers)
First course: Fried Zucchini Flower
Main course: Black Bass with Port Wine
Side dish: Steam Green Bean Bundles and a Frizee Side Salad
Dessert: Pound Cake with Raspberry Sauce and Grilled Fruit topped with Honey-Yogurt Sauce.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2013 at 20:36
    Nice app Tas!  I never would have thought about stuffing a cucumber, but what an idea. I could see these being served like maki rolls, serving them atop a bamboo (sushi) mat.  Maybe even taking some super thin slices of radish and carrot to lay on the top of the cucumber roll to simulate sashimi on top of the roll. 

Cool app!
Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2013 at 18:21
    Brook, that recipe was awesome!  Such great balance of flavors.  The five spice mixing with the reduction...then the fish supported by the mushrooms...wonderful wonderful recipe.  Thanks for posting.  That dish, I would be happy to pay a good price for (happily I didn't have too Big smile)

Below are the his and hers plates set for dinner...

Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2013 at 13:49
Tas. Wonderful idea; stuffed cucumbers; for an appetiser or starter. Thank you for posting.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2013 at 12:09
This last one was a huge challenge for me; appetizers are something that I don't have much exposure to or personal experience with, and many things that I would probably serve as appetizers might actually be first starters or salads. I had originally considered gravlax, which I really enjoy making and eating; however, I ultimately decided that it would probably not provide the best juxtaposition for the main course.

And then I remembered a simple, fresh, delicious thing that I had made a while ago, and got to thinking about how good it had tasted. With the close of summer, this dish seemed like a great way to not only remind us of all the good times we had outdoors, but also to serve as a "closer" with the approaching autumn - something to tide us over until next spring. Finally, this choice would fit easily at home on a humble kitchen table (as I prepared it), or - with finer plating and presentation - could probably hold its own in finer restaurants or social settings.

I am speaking of gefüllte gurken, an Austrian specialty (probably found throughout the old empire, as well) that is comprised of stuffed cucumbers. The concept is very easy, as shown by Time/Life's volume on "The Cooking of Vienna's Empire," which was my source for the recipe:

Quote Gefüllte Gurken

Cucumbers Stuffed With Ham and Sour Pickles

To serve 6 to 8: 
2 cucumbers, 6 to 8 inches long
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 boneless sardines
1/4 pound boiled ham, diced (1/4-inch chunks)
2 hard-cooked eggs, coarsley chopped
2 teaspoons finely chopped onions
2 tablespoons minced sour pickles
1 teaspoon prepared French mustard
2 to 4 tablespoons mayonnaise, freshly made or a good commercial brand

Cut 1/2 inch off the tip of each cucumber, then peel the cucumbers with a vegetable scraper or sharp knife. Cut out the seeds and center pulp with a long iced-tea spoon (or melon-baller) leaving a shell about 1/4-inch thick. Pour 1/4 teaspoon of salt into each cucumber, rubbing it in evenly with your forefinger. Let the shells stand about 15 minutes, then dry them inside with a piece of paper towel.

In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mash the sardines to a paste with a fork or wooden spoon. Add the ham, eggs, onions, pickles, mustard and 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise. Stir the ingredients together until the mixture holds its shape with a spoon. (If it seems too dry, add more mayonnaise.) Taste for seasoning. The amount of salt will depend on the saltiness of the sardines and the ham.

Stuff the cucumbers by standing them on end and spooning the filling in, tamping it down with a spoon as you proceed. When they are all tightly packed, wrap them separately in wax paper or aluminum foil and refrigerate them for 2 hours, or until the filling is firm.

To serve, slice the cucumbers, on a slant, in slices about 1/2-inch thick.

When I made it, it was pretty easy indeed. The ingredients I used were fairly humble, but this can be "stepped up," if desired. Here are the goods for a double batch (not pictured - the onion):

Preparation was easy enough, but some care must be taken in order to ensure a consistent and proper end product. You can click here for full step-by-step instructions and photos:

Here we are, all plated up and ready to serve:

The photo could have been better, but they were an immediate hit when I made them, and provided a very refreshing, light snack for us. The flavours all worked well, and as I said above, even the sardines played their part, adding a savory briney-ness to the sour from the pickles and the tang of the mayonnaise - all of that working very, very well with the freshness of the cucumber.

This is definitely a spring or summer treat to enjoy at any event, but it seems especially suited for an outside thing like a picnic or party ~ give it a try!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2013 at 07:15
   Okay, I was putting thought into picking my portion of this weeks progressive dinner...the side dish.  I can't wait to make Brook's main entree for dinner this week...that bass dish has got me really excited.  So I'm thinking and thinking...just what to put with it as a side dish.  The spice crusted fish has that wonderful port reduction which should pair perfect with the sauteed mushrooms served with this dish.  I found myself thinking a rice dish, or any larger side dish, would just compete too much with the entree.  So I decided on a small bundle of green beans and a side salad.

Steamed Green Bean Bundles

• Fresh green beans
  • Chives 
  • Finishing butter or oil and seasoning

Prepare a bowl with ice water.  Bring a small pot of water to a boil, blanch your chives and then set in ice bath...once cool, quickly remove and place on paper towel.  Place the desired amount of fresh green beans in boiling water for approximately 5 minutes, remove and place in the ice bath...once cool remove from water and place on paper towel. 

Next lay a bundle of ~ 10 green beans (all facing the same direction) on top of your blanched chive.  Now just tie these green beans in a bundle with the chive.  You can choose to snip and tuck the loose ends of the chives into the bundle, or leave them a bit long and use the end as part of the presentation too.  You can make these up ahead of time up to this point...then finish them with the next step.

When it is close to serving time you will place the green bean bundles into a steamer and finish to warm, or to desired doneness.  While these are cooking, heat some butter (or olive oil) and a (very) little garlic.  Once the bundles are done brush them with the olive oil, season and then place on the plate.   For this dish I would tend to finish only with some good olive oil (no garlic), a bit of topping salt and a slight twist of fine ground pepper.

Frisée Salad with Roasted Blood Orange, Hazelnut and Feta (another aveceric dish)

• 3 small heads of frisee
  • 5 blood oranges
  • 2 tablespoons of evoo
  • 1/4 cup lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/2 cup canola
  • 1/2 cup hazelnuts (toasted and lightly chopped)
  • 8oz feta cheese (crumbled)
  • salt and pepper

wash and trim frisee into bite sized pieces. 

Remove the skin and pith from four of the blood oranges, then slice 1/4" thick (crosswise) and lay on a parchment lined baking tray.

Juice the last blood orange into a bowl, add lemon juice and sugar...slowly whisk in canola then season with salt and pepper.

Adjust oven rack to highest position and turn broiler on high. 

Drizzle the blood orange slices with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.  Place the baking tray in the broiler and broil for about five minutes.  The idea is to get the blood oranges to the point they start to caramelize.  Remove from pan, cool and set aside.

Dress the frisee in a separate bowl with the blood orange vinaigrette, place in salad bowl and arrange roasted blood orange slices on top, then sprinkle with toasted hazelnuts and feta cheese

(I'll try to get some pictures posted once I make it...I'll just update this post)

Enjoy The Food!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2013 at 19:22
Mushrooms are quite challenging to pair, as artichokes are; which the best suggestion is a semi sweet White cava from Sonoma California or Barcelona ... or a semi sweet Prosecco from Treviso, Veneto ...

Margi, this sort of commentary can be even more valuable than the specific selections. So I hope you'll include lots of it in the thread.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2013 at 10:51
Anne and Dan,

Lovely selections ... I love zucchini blossoms ...

and needless to say; Prosciutto di parma, is one of my favorites ...

Surely lovely Dan.

Kind regards.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2013 at 10:49

Separate Wine & Beverage Thread in the Beverage Section ...

Okay, this is surely an execellente idea ...

Just to point out, that in the last 15 years, 99% of the Internaional Wine Challenges throughout the world, have selected Iberian wines, blind folded as the Gold Medal and Silver Medal winners.

This includes the Manhattan event, London, Brussels, and Tokoyo.

I totally agree on world designation of origin wines to be included;

I selected 2 Rosés from Iberia, for their flavor profile with the Sea Bass and mushrooms for their pairing and their Price structure here, and availability via export.

Mendoza, in Argentina, and Sonoma, Napa etcetra, are on the pricey side even for Americans.

Mushrooms are quite challenging to pair, as artichokes are; which the best suggestion is a semi sweet White cava from Sonoma California or Barcelona ... or a semi sweet Prosecco from Treviso, Veneto ...

Shall begin a thread then in BEVERAGES ...

ON SOFT DRINKS: this too shall be included as well as Sidra ( Cider sparkling ); alcohol free beers, lemonades, all natural types of fruit waters etcetra; cocktails ... etcetra ...

Thanks, have nice day.

Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2013 at 09:25
   A little lagniappe in the form of an amuse-bouche 

Tomato Bread with Prosciutto

• French baguette
  • Garlic clove
  • Tomato
  • Prosciutto (your choice)
  • finishing Olive Oil and topping salt 

Cut the bread 1/2" thick and toast on both sides.  Cut a fresh clove of garlic in half, crush it then lightly rub the golden brown toast to leave the garlic oils behind (you'll be surprised at the amount of flavor).  Next, cut a tomato in half and lightly rub the toast in the same manner as with the garlic.  Place a slice of your favorite Jamón on top, add a drizzle of a good olive oil and a bit of topping salt.  Cut into bite sized pieces and plate.

AvecEric.com

Enjoy The Food!
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2013 at 19:24
I wholeheartedly support a drink pairing thread, its one area I would love to learn more about.

As a rule we usually just have water. My budget does not allow for wine, so I will be happy just reading and imagining. 
Resident Peasant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2013 at 19:02
I think a companion thread on drink pairings makes a lot of sense. That way the suggestions are there, but without cluttering up the actual dinner threads.

I would want it to include more than wines, though, as some dishes naturally pair better with other drinks.

And, to be truly valuable, it should certainly include more than Iberian beverages. Limiting it to those just doesn't make sense to me, for all sorts of obvious reasons.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2013 at 18:52
Great minds and all that.

Reckon our posts crossed.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 September 2013 at 18:51
Perfect, Anne. Simply perfect for a first course.

I'd still like to see your whitebait fritters recipe. Why don't you post it in the down under forum?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic