Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > The Balkans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Serbian Pork Seasoning

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Serbian Pork Seasoning
    Posted: 05 September 2013 at 08:52
Excellent call, Brook, and thank you Ahron for confirming!

I am guessing that if one used this with pork belly or perhaps even shoulder (such as buckboard bacon), they would make a "Balkan bacon?" If so, I will indeed have to try this!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2013 at 05:10
Originally posted by HistoricFoodie HistoricFoodie wrote:

Would seem to me that's a cure rather than a seasoning per se, Ron. Maybe for smoke curing hams, etc. Or for use in sausages?

Don't know about authenticity, but as I recall Jeff was pretty good about ethnic flavor lines.

You nailed it . the Romanian cure belly of pork this way for smoking.

Ahron
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2013 at 15:40
That's what steered me in that direction, Ron; the amount of sugar compared to the salt.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2013 at 08:57
Originally posted by Brook Brook wrote:

Would seem to me that's a cure rather than a seasoning per se, Ron. Maybe for smoke curing hams, etc. Or for use in sausages?

G'morning, Brook -

Your hypothesis might indeed be correct, considering that most salts in Europe, especially in historical times, had naturally-occurring nitrites that in effect cured meats. Nowadays, if my goal was to cure a hunk of meat with this recipe, I'd want to add some cure to it, just to make sure.

For sausages, an additional ingredient - sodium nitrate - would be necessary, in order to prevent the possibility of botulism that arises from stuffing ground meat into an anaerobic environment. In the old days, saltpetre was used, but in modern times it is considered too unpredictable to use safely or reliably; indeed, and over-dose of the stuff could kill a person.

In any event, the presence of the sugar (which is also used in many charcuterie projects along with salt and nitrites/nitrates) makes me believe that this would be an effective and delicious cure, provided that the food safety safety considerations mentioned above are followed. In fact, I'm thinking that it might be a "bridge" formula between some Italian cured meats and the Romanian pastramă that I am very fond of making.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2013 at 20:06

Don't know about authenticity, but as I recall Jeff was pretty good about ethnic flavor lines.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 September 2013 at 12:18
I received this from an interested party, and he got it from a Frugal Gourmet cookbook. I make no claims as to its authenticity, but it does look plausible - and flavourfuil!

If anyone has any comment on the likeliehood or authenticity of this, let me know, but for now, it is pretty simple, as given to me:

Quote Serbian pork seasoning, [from] a Frugal Gourmet cookbook: 3 parts salt, 2 parts sugar, 2 parts fennel seed, 1 part black pepper, 1 part white pepper.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic