Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Food-Related Topics > Around the Kitchen Table
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Progressive Dinner Sept 19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Progressive Dinner Sept 19
    Posted: 08 September 2013 at 23:52
Well, it doesn't look like we'll be recruiting any more participants. So it's just five of us.

Several have mentioned that they like having a weekend to prepare their dish before posting it. I can well understand that. So I'm going to post the assignments a week early. That way we have time to think about the first dinner of this sequence. Plus everyone will then be able to figure what their next assignment will be, merely by moving up one place. 

At any rate, here are the assignments that should be posted previous to Thursday, September 19:

Brook: Appetizer
Anne: First Course
Ahron: Seafood Course
Ron: Main course
Margi: Dessert

Ahron and Ron really have to take the lead on this, so the rest of us can post dishes that compliment their choices.
Sponsored Links

HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2013 at 11:39
We're back up to six. Hooray!

Hila (AddToTaste) has joined the party. So I've rearranged the courses and assignments. Here's the new line-up

Appetizer: Brook
First Course: Anne
Soup or Salad: Ahron
Fish Course: Ron
Main Course: Margi
Dessert: Hila

So now it's Ron and Margi that have to post first so the rest of us can work around them.
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2013 at 11:47
nice!

Enjoy The Food!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2013 at 11:54
Would be even nicer if a certain firefighter of my acquaintance was participating. But he let life get in the way.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2013 at 12:01
Originally posted by Brook Brook wrote:

Would be even nicer if a certain firefighter of my

Two of 'em!

I've got the seafood dish for this week figured out; will post as soon as I can edit and organise the existing information that I have on it.....
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2013 at 12:32
Dinner main course confirmed. Shall do best to type the recipe Wednesday & post pictorial Thursday morning Madrid time.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2013 at 14:10
Originally posted by HistoricFoodie HistoricFoodie wrote:

Would be even nicer if a certain firefighter of my acquaintance was participating. But he let life get in the way.

If you are free to do some remodeling, Brook...I'm sure we can make something work out LOL

I really like the structure of the courses...I can't wait to see it get going!
Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2013 at 15:47
MAIN COURSE WITH PICTORIAL & RECIPE ...

By: Margaux Cintrano

RISOTTO ZAFFERANO DI MILANO / RISOTTO MILANESE WITH SAFFRON

1) Products needed ( see récipe below ) 

2) Aborio or Carnaroli Small Grain Italian Rice

RECEIPE ... 4 Servings.

300 Grams ( 2 1/2 cups ) Italian arborio rice, Carnaroli or Vialone

1 large leek ( finely diced / White and celery colored stalk parts )

2 shallots / onion or spring onion of choice, minced finely

200 grams of vegetable of choice ( I used seasonal Roman Haricots, they are much wider than French grown ); washed, snipped at ends and patted dry thoroughly

1/2 cup Italian White fruity young wine of choice

*** ( I highly suggest: very chilled fruity White Italian wine for the cooking and for drinking a refreshing Semi Sweet Rosé or Semi Sweet White Prosecco, due to the bitterness of the herb and acid content of the tomato and Roman Green beans . )     

3 grams saffron threads pounded with pestle in mortar, to a powder
( I employed Toledo Designation of Origin Ecologically grown )

salt to taste

1/2 bunch fresh Italian parsley minced finely

4 tablespoons of Italian ecological Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Freshly ground black pepper to taste

2 handfuls of Almonds ( see photo 1 )

6 over ripened yet red juicy tomatoes of choice; Prefrence of person; I only de-seeded for this dish

a pinch of sugar

Dry spices: Orégano, Majoram, Thyme, A pinch of Basil and Parsley

Approximtely 2 to 2 1/2 cups of Homemade chicken broth ( no wáter is used to cook the rice ); depending on your preference; I prefer my Risotto wet as it shall absorb all the liquid very very quickly once plated.

French or Asturian French Style Butter at room temperature ( 1/2 stick is what I used )

Reggiano Parmigiano ( Parmesano ) or Grana Padano grated finely

*** A red or Green bell pepper finely sliced

*** Garlic minced to taste

*** A carrot diced finely

** Prosciutto di Parma, Iberian air dired acorn fed ham, and / or Mushrooms, and / or jumbo shrimps or sausage can be added as your own preferences.

*** Serve on bed of drizzled marinara tomato sauce
which you have reserved from your Sofrito ... if so desired ...

INSTRUCTIONS:

1) Heat the EVOO in the clay earthenware; and add the minced finely onion or shallots, leek, carrot, tomatoes, garlic, parsley,green or red bell pep. or both; and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes.

2) Add the White wine, and simmer on low slow heat for 7 mins.

3) BEFORE ADDING the chicken broth; STRAIN the tomato Sofrito and reduce heat ...

4) Add the rice, and simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed; about 22 - 25 minutes.

5) This dish is requires frequent stirring clockwise so the rice becomes tender.

6) 1/2 THE BUTTER should be added once the rice begins to absorb the liquids and then the other half, just before finishing

7) SAME FOR THE CHEESE; ADD WITH THE BUTTER, AND STIR CLOCKWISE FREQUENTLY.

THE SHRIMP OR SAUSAGE OR HAM IF ADDING, ADD AT THE LAST 2 MINUTES ... AND SPRINKLE WITH EXTRA MINCED PARLSEY...

READY NOW ...

PHOTO STAGES ... AND FINAL PLATING ...

PHOTO 3: The Garlic ( we all have our own preferences as to amount ); are peeled and minced finely. 

THE STOVE TOP PROCESSES IN ORDER WITH METHOD ...

PHOTO 4: Heat the EVOO in the clay cooking vessel, and sprinkle lighly with salt, and sauté the veggies into a SOFRITO, the Mediterranean base for all rices and stews ... 

PHOTO 5: The Sofrito ... Strain and refine ... using all the tomato based sofrito ...

PHOTO 6: THE CHICKEN BROTH

PHOTO 7: NOTE: THE COLOR OF THE SOFRITO SHALL CHANGE DUE TO THE BUTTER, SAFFRON, CHICKEN BROTH & HERBS & SPICES ( GREEN & SAFFRON CREATE AN OCRE COLOR )

PHOTO 8: THE RICE IS SIMMERING ON A VERY LOW SLOW FLAME WITH BROTH AND SOFRITO .. " CLOCK WISE MOVEMENTS ARE MADE WITH THE WOODEN SPATULA, & AS THE RICE BEGINS TO ABSORB THE LIQUIDS, ONE ADDS 1/2 THE BUTTER ... SIMMER, AND THEN, WHEN JUST ABOUT CLOS TO READINESS, I ADD THE REST OF THE BUTTER AND THE GRATED CHEESE ...

PHOTO 9: JUST BEFORE PLATING

PHOTO 10: THE PLATING

Saffron; Reggiano Parmigiano and fresh Mediterranean vegetables are dominate ingredients; leek, tomato, garlic, almonds, shallot, French Asturian butter and Italian white wine plus Italian herbs and fresh Roman haricots or wide green beans and Prosciutto. It is prepared in a 30 year old earthenware called a tiella in Italian or a cazuela in Spanish. Very aromatic profile.
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2013 at 16:51
I'm struggling with work and life in general just now, but will try hold up my end. I'm particularly looking forward to  Soup and Fish Smile
Resident Peasant
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2013 at 17:21
Originally posted by Effigy Effigy wrote:

I'm struggling with work and life in general just now, but will try hold up my end. I'm particularly looking forward to  Soup and Fish Smile

I look forward to your contributions, Effigy!  You are quite the creative cook
Enjoy The Food!
Addtotaste View Drop Down
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Addtotaste Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2013 at 06:49
Going to see what 1 or 2 of the other dishes are so as to create a balanced dessert :)
Check out some more recipes and reviews - www.addtotaste.co.za
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2013 at 09:38
This looks absolutely awesome, Margi - I love the colours and the cazuela ~ that saffron really does make a difference in fragrance, appearance and flavour.

Thank you for posting ~
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2013 at 11:19
Tas,

Thank you very much ... It is truly wonderful and yes, aromatic, and also extraordinairely versatile ...

Sometimes I prepare with shrimp or fresh clams, however, we are not in season yet ... October !

Appreciate your participation and support.
Kind regards,
Margi.
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2013 at 14:17
Looks lovely, and very do-able, thanks Margi - I shall try it over the weekend, I get the key ingredients and method so with all the variations you have suggested I am sure I will be able to replicate the flavour.
Resident Peasant
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2013 at 14:29
Anne. Thank you very much for your support and lovely contribution. It is very simple to prepare. Key: low slow flame and stir only clockwise.
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2013 at 14:30
I had to work with very limited ingredients and zero budget...
So here is my first course - completely made from fridge remnants and garden produce, luckily I was given the pears.

Roasted Pears with Herbed Goat Cheese

INGREDIENTS

• goat cheese
• chopped mixed herbs such as parsley, thyme, and chives
• extra-virgin olive oil
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
• pears
• sliced bacon, in strips
Honey or Maple syrup for drizzling.

DIRECTIONS

Heat the oven to 375°F / 190°C

In a small bowl, mix the goat cheese, herbs, and olive oil; season with salt and pepper.

Halve the pears and scoop out the seeds and cores.

Stuff each pear half with about a tablespoon of the cheese.

Wrap each stuffed pear with a slice of bacon and place it on a baking sheet.

Drizzle some olive oil over the pears and season them with salt and pepper. I skipped this as the bacon we have is very streaky.
Bake them until the pears are tender and the bacon is crisp, about 25 to 30 minutes.

Place the pears onto a platter, drizzle with the honey, and garnish.

I used Maple syrup and it was divine. (You can't see it in the photo - because I forgot it before I took the shot).

Suggested Pairing Isaac's Pear Cider ice cold in a tall glass.

Resident Peasant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2013 at 15:34
Sounds really good, Anne  - you had me at "bacon....." Wink
africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2013 at 00:34
Wow wow Margi and Anne it looks amazing .
Anne you can cook with any budget and it will be great .
Margi what is a great comfort food .  creamy rice  with nice colors . man we will have a great dinner .
i will post later today my dish.
Ahron
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2013 at 01:15
Psst .....Ahron.....the secret weapon... the Fairview EVOO I brought home from SA Wink

Thanks for kind words.
Resident Peasant
africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2013 at 04:13
Ok .
today i made for you my Version ,of clam chowder.
1kg clams
5 Carrots diced
5 Celery diced
1 onion diced
3 cloves of garlic diced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp B pepper
1/4 cumin
4 potatos diced 
4 leeks diced
 oil
water
cream
milk
crackers .

first the stock.
fry the
1/2 onion
2 carrots
3 cloves of garlic
add 1/2 of the salt  the pepper and all the cumin .
as it is soften add the clams .
4 cups of water 
allow to simmer till the clams opens.
strain the clams and keep the stock.

the soup

fry Slightly the rest of the Vegetables  .
add the stock .
the rest of the salt and pepper.
cook till the potatos are soft .
remove the clams meat from the clams and chop.
add the clams to the soup .
add 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup cream .
let it simmer for few minutes .
serve it with few crackers .

Enjoy 

Ahron
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic