Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Food-Related Topics > The Tools of the Trade
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Home pasta machine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Home pasta machine
    Posted: 13 September 2013 at 20:29
I was delighted to discover that I have enough loyalty club points to get one of these pasta machines.

Does anyone have one or know if its worthwhile? 
Resident Peasant
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2013 at 20:42
i'm no expert but given my limited experience it looks great to me - also, it seems that the reviewers love it.

i'd say,  go for it!

If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2013 at 21:00
I have one that is branded differently, but is a virtual twin to that one.

I love it.

My only complaint, and it's a minor one, is that the clamp that comes with it isn't as sturdy as it could be. But if it doesn't work well for you, just replace it with a C clamp or two.

Keep in mind that it only comes with one cutter head, for fettucini and spaghetti. If you want other flat pastas you have to buy the accessory cutters. There are about a half dozen of them, ranging from angel hair to lasagna.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2013 at 02:17
It's not the type of machine I use personally, but I would highly recommend homemade pasta of any type over dried. I have an attachment for my Kitchenaid mixer that does the trick for me.

Go ahead...play with your food!
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2013 at 22:14
!!!!  NEWS FLASH  !!!!

It's here!

I am delighted with how heavy and solid it is. Maximum width pasta is 150mm and it has arrived with a spaghetti and fettuccine spare. I am totally rapt Clap    (And basically all for free)
Resident Peasant
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2013 at 22:20
enjoy! and get to work with it....lol.... let's see some food!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2013 at 01:22
Wow it is an IMPERIA .it is a great make.
you will have fun with it.
Thumbs Up
Ahron
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 December 2016 at 19:33
My parents gave me a pasta maker and drying rack for Christmas. Apparently it doesn't always have to be dried? Is that for if you're freezing it? How long do you dry it for?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2016 at 03:34
Don't get frustrated, initially, Melissa. There is a learning curve involved. But it's a great toy!

There are two classes of pasta: Fresh and dried. The dried is what most of us are used to. Some say there is a different taste, shape to shape, as well. But the big difference is that dry pasta takes much longer to cook.

Fresh pasta is what it implies. You make it, and cook it almost immediately. Drying is just long enough to keep the individual pieces from sticking together. Cooking time is measured in seconds, as opposed to the minutes of dry.

An analogy would be the difference between starting with won ton wrappers or eggroll skins, that you purchase, vs. making your own dough and using it for fresh dumplings.

There's no specific time for drying pasta, only because each shape and thickness of dough takes more or less time. The instruction manual that came with the pasta maker should give you some clues. But there are quite a few books available on pasta making as well.

One thing I've found: Unless you've got a very long counter, ignore the suggestions for how big a piece of dough to start with. By the time you've run through the numbers, that ribbon of dough can get very long. Initially, I'd start with only a quarter of the size suggested. Then, as you develop a feel for it, you can increase it as necessary.

Cautionary note: Once you get the hang of it, making your own pasta can become addictive.

Have fun!
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2016 at 15:29
I made a batch of spaghetti last night. I think it came out right, but I cooked it wrong, because it looked fine but turned into mush. "Seconds vs minutes" helps. Thank you!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2016 at 19:26
That's probably it, Melissa. Fresh pasta cooks very quickly. But you'll develop a feel for it soon enough.
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic