Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Hungary
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Hideg Meggyleves

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hideg Meggyleves
    Posted: 26 September 2013 at 10:04
Hiddeg Meggyleves
Cold Sour Cherry Soup

From Time/Life's Foods of the World - The Cooking of Vienna's Empire (1968):

Served in a bowl set inside another bowl of cracked ice, cold cherry soup is made with cherries, sugar, wine and cream.

To serve 6:

3 cups cold water
1 cup sugar
1 cinnamon stick
4 cups pitted sour cherries or drained canned sour cherries
1 tablespoon arrowroot
1/4 cup heavy cream, chilled
3/4 cup dry red wine, chilled

In a 2-quart saucepan, combine the water, sugar and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil and add the cherries. Partially cover and simmer over low heat for 35 to 40 minutes if the cherries are fresh or 10 minutes if they are canned. Remove the cinnamon stick.

Mix the arrowroot and 2 tablespoons of cold water into a paste, then beat into the cherry soup. Stirring constantly, bring the soup almost to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer about 2 minutes, or until clear and slightly thickened. Pour into a shallow glass or stainless-steel bowl and refrigerate until chilled. Before serving - preferably in soup bowls that have been pre-chilled - stir in the cream and wine.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

Rod Franklin View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2013 at 13:55
I don't think I have ever eaten that. I wouldn't turn down a bowl of it though! In my memory, sour cherries always ended up in pies and pastries and jams and jellies... and wine.
Hungry
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2013 at 14:53
That was the first Hungarian dish I ever ate, back when I was first courting Friend Wife. As I recall, the version I had used sour cream rather than regular cream.

We were dining at her dad's favorite restaurant. Everyone else ordered it, so I gave it a try. Didn't care for it much (hey, I was 17 and my palate was, shall we say, less then sophisticated). But I was trying to impress her father with my worldliness, and did a pretty good job of covering it up.

On the up side, the chicken paprikas was to die for.
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2013 at 11:15

This dish is quite ancient too ... It is called CHERRY GAZPACHO here, the only difference being the type of cream ... Sour cream is not used here.

Wonderful !!! Our cherry season begins March 31st and it is quite emblematic.

Definitely sublime and exquisite !!!

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic