Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Food Groups > Meats, Fish and Eggs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Using Chopped Meats

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Using Chopped Meats
    Posted: 16 October 2013 at 13:29
I've done both raw and caramelized onions in the past, Ron. Doesn't seem to make much difference.
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2013 at 13:19
Brook - do you add chopped/diced onions to your meatloaf? If so, do you pre-cook them?

I've noticed when making meatloaf - and also holúbky - that when I pre-cook the onions and allow them to cool, the end product not only tastes better, but also seems to digest a little better as well.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2013 at 13:08
Would be a good guess, Mark. Except she eats oats in other applications, and has no problem with them.

Is a definite puzzlement.
MarkR View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2013 at 11:42
Originally posted by HistoricFoodie HistoricFoodie wrote:

Obviously three, Ron. Whoever wrote that turkey meatloaf recipe.

Once I learned to use oats I always wondered why others didn't. They add so much to the texture and flavor.

Initially I thought it was strange. I grew up in a multi-cultural, basically poor, neighborhood (heck, you needed to know seven languages just to say good morning to your neighbors). So meatloaf, in its many configurations, was fairly common. Virtually all of those versions, however, used either rice or bread/cracker crumbs as filler.

I wonder if it's the oats that mess up the wife's digestion?
Mark R
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2013 at 08:34
Obviously three, Ron. Whoever wrote that turkey meatloaf recipe.

Once I learned to use oats I always wondered why others didn't. They add so much to the texture and flavor.

Initially I thought it was strange. I grew up in a multi-cultural, basically poor, neighborhood (heck, you needed to know seven languages just to say good morning to your neighbors). So meatloaf, in its many configurations, was fairly common. Virtually all of those versions, however, used either rice or bread/cracker crumbs as filler.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2013 at 08:27
Quote Using oats as a filler isn't very common, so I was surprised to see it. Until now, I only knew of one other person who did that.

Make that two! My mom taught me to make meatloaf using oatmeal as a filler/binder; in fact, I also use pulverised oatmeal as a binder for most sausage that I make, rather than some weird, artificial-sounding concoction.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2013 at 08:19
Ann, that ground turkey meatloaf sounds nice in it's own right.

It's also suspiciously like my regular beef meatloaf. Using oats as a filler isn't very common, so I was surprised to see it. Until now, I only knew of one other person who did that.

I top mine with barbecue sauce, rather than ketchup. And have never made it surrounded by veggies. But otherwise, not significant differences.

As to the other. I'd druther eat Spam! Tofu is a lot of things, but food isn't one of them.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2013 at 08:12
Anne, you're mis-reading what I said. It is most definitely not a food phobia. She actually loves meatloaf. But her system won't tolerate it.

Same with corn. Given her druthers she'd devour every ear in the corn patch. But she'd pay for it afterwards.

Her only real food phobia is eggs. She will eat eggs so long as they're not recognizable as such. So, a poached egg sitting on a mound of corned beef hash is out, for instance. But a raw egg, as part of a Ceasar dressing, is fine.

To be sure, there are other foods she doesn't eat. But that's because, after a fair test, she truly doesn't like them. But those are neither biases nor intolerances.
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2013 at 00:10
And after re-reading your post - here is a stage left suggestion from the new Moosewood Book;

I would eat this (but I am an omnivore)Approve

Tofu Burgers or Meatloaf

Recipe type: Main Dish
Prep time:  30 mins Cook time:  30 mins Total time:  1 hour
Serves: 8

Ingredients
2 cakes firm tofu (16 ounces each)
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 cups diced onions
1 cup peeled and grated carrots
1 cup diced bell peppers
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried dill
⅔ cup chopped walnuts
1 cup bread crumbs
2 tablespoons tahini
2 tablespoon light miso
2 tablespoon soy sauce
1-2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

Instructions
Press the tofu between two plates and rest a heavy weight on the top plate. Press for 15 minutes, then drain the liquid.
Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan and sauté the onions, carrots, peppers, oregano, basil, and dill for about 7 minutes, until the vegetables are just tender.
Crumble the pressed tofu into a large bowl, or grind it through a food processor.
Stir in the walnuts, bread crumbs, tahini, miso, soy sauce, and mustard.
Add the sautéed vegetables and mix well.
Preheat the oven to 350º or 375º degrees.
If making burgers, use about ¾ cup of burger mix per burger, and place them about 2 inches apart on an oiled baking sheet until they are firmed and brown.
If making “meatloaf”, press the mix into an oiled casserole dish, and bake for about 30 minutes, until lightly browned.

Notes
Reprinted from Moosewood Restaurant New Classics, Copyright © 2001 by Moosewood, Inc., Clarkson Potter, publishers, New York.
Resident Peasant
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2013 at 23:56
Laughing until I cry
I Googled "Meat Loaf Phobia" - and yes I got results
and this is the first recipe that Google returned:

2 lbs. ground turkey
1/2 cup rolled oats
2 eggs, beaten
2 tsp Lowery’s Seasoned Salt
Pepper to taste
Fresh or frozen green beans
2 cans stewed tomatoes
plenty of ketchup
birthday candles

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In large bowl, mix ground turkey, rolled oats, seasoned salt and pepper. Beat eggs in separate bowl, then add to turkey mixture. Form into tight loaf by hand and place into roasting pan. (I don’t use a loaf pan because I want meat to soak up juices around it.) Pour green beans and stewed tomatoes around loaf, and drizzle over with ketchup. Lots of ketchup. Bake covered for 1 hour. Uncover, drizzle more ketchup, and bake for another 15 mins.

What have you got to lose? Ermm

Edit: Apparently the dislike/mistrust comes from the betrayal experienced after learning that Mother 'hid' other foods in the meatloaf. 

Still Laughing 
Resident Peasant
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2013 at 15:24
I don't think so, Ron. It's not that she objects to meat loaf as a food bias thing. There's something about it---texture? Combination of ingredients? Cooking method? that she physically reacts to. Her GI tract just goes crazy.

Besides which, if it's meatloaf it needs to be served in thick slices, with brown gravy and mashed potatoes. Corn with it is nice, too. But that's another thing her system won't tolerate.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2013 at 11:11
make your meatloaf recipe, but put it in the form of a burger patty or meatball - problem solved! Tongue
MarkR View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2013 at 18:38
First. Try smoking your meatloaf. Much more burger-like.
Second. Burger fatty. Flatten your GB on cling film(plastic wrap), put cheese, maters, peppers, sauce etc in the middle then using the film, roll it up like.... Then make a bacon weave on cling film.Using the film roll the  GB roll on to the bacon wrap, then roll the whole thing up in the bacon weave using the film. Put in the fridge for a few hours to firm up. Smoke at 250 till 165° internal.

Shepperd's Pie.
Taco's
Nacho Salad
Calzone
Stuffed peppers (mixed with Italian sausage)
Spaghetti
Grilled BG with peppers and onions and cheese on a Baggette

Mark R
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2013 at 17:40
So, I've got a little problem.

Although she seems to be fine with other uses of chopped meat, Friend Wife cannot handle meat loaf. A shame, cuz I love it. And I don't understand why her system can handle burgers, and meatballs, and kebabs, and chili, and sausage, and so forth, but rebels at meat loaf.

That being the case, I want to broaden my use of chopped meats. Doesn't have to just be beef, by the way.

What are some of the ways y'all use it?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic