Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Food Groups > Fruits, Nuts, Fungi and Vegetables
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Garlic Mashed Potatoes
    Posted: 29 March 2010 at 07:16
Made some delicious Garlic Mashed Potatoes this weekend. They were a side for the Roast Beef & Yorkshire Pudding on sunday.

First, on saturday I roasted two garlics. On one I trimmed the tips off and on the other, left them on. This was a small experiment to see which way is better. Both got 1 tablespoon olive oil, and a tablespoon of water over them. Roasated at 325 for about an hour.

Put them in the fridge overnight. The next day, I squoze the garlic out of the paperlike skin. The trimmed garlics were actually harder to get out. The untrimmed ones held the garlic in while I put pressure on the cloves pulling them off the bulb. They easily popped open afterwards. The trimmed ones on the other hand squeezed out with the slightest pressure and made things pretty messy. So, now we know, and I won't trim them anymore.

Peeled and boiled about 4 lbs of russets. Added whole milk, white pepper and kosher salt to them, along with the garlic.

They turned oout very tasty and had a mellow garlic flavor in the background, even with two bulbs worth. Just the right amount it seemed. They went very well with the roast and rounded out the meal perfectly.

Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 07:22
beautiful potatoes, john ~ and a valuable experience with the roasted bulbs of garlic!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2010 at 03:31
I really have to try that Yorkshire pudding....John, do you think it would turn out OK in a muffin tin? I'd like to do idividual ones...I imagine I would have to cut down the baking time slightly.
Go ahead...play with your food!
3montes View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3montes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2010 at 06:37
Looks fantastic John and great experiment with the garlic. I have never roasted garlic before but will have to keep it in mind. Mashed potatos are one of my favorite side dishes.

Several weeks ago I made something very similar. Horseradish mashed potatos.
Very much the same process you out line here.
I used red potatos and mashed them with the skins on.
Added 1 16oz container of sour cream.
1 stick of butter
2 or 3 T of prepared horseradish or to your liking.
They were very smooth and creamy with just the right amount of horseradish.
"A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch."- James Beard
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2010 at 07:35
keith, those sound pretty dang good!

dave - i have seen yorkshire pudding made in muffin tine (they seemed to be the larger sized ones). as far as i know it can be done ~
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2010 at 18:27
Originally posted by Hoser Hoser wrote:

I really have to try that Yorkshire pudding....John, do you think it would turn out OK in a muffin tin? I'd like to do idividual ones...I imagine I would have to cut down the baking time slightly.

Hi Dave, yees they can be made in muffin tins. I found a youtube short video on making Yorkshire pudding and she made them in muffin tins and they came out like beautiful little popovers. She did bake them for near 40 minutes tho. I say go for it, should be no problem!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic