Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Food Groups > Fruits, Nuts, Fungi and Vegetables
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Pumpkin Seeds!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIYASUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pumpkin Seeds!
    Posted: 27 October 2013 at 05:12
Here in the US Halloween is celebrated in October and decorated Pumpkins can be seen everywhere. Carving, and painting Pumpkins has become an art form and of course there are plenty of recipes for cooking pumpkins, but people invariably discard the seeds.
You can walk into any convenience store in the country and purchase pumpkin seeds to be consumed as a snack (Crack them open with your teeth to get the meat inside), but rather than buy them try making your own.

Pumpkin Seeds
Cleaning and processing pumpkin seeds for consumption as a snack isnt all that difficult to do and October is the time to give it a try.

Salted pumpkin seeds are easy! Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, wash the seed, spread them out on a greased baking sheet, shake on some sea salt, and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

For Italian Pumpkin seeds use the same recipe but this time sprinkle with sea salt, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning.

Spicey Mexican? Sure, just change the spices to sea salt, garlic, paprika, cayenne, and crushed red pepper.

Cinnamon pumpkin seeds are made the same way but first they get a bit of cinnamon and sugar.

Garlic and Onion are made the same way. Sea salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and then bake at 350 until golden brown.

These are all basic recipes that can be twisted to your own taste, and I'll bet you can come up with a few of your own to post here also.
Enjoy!
Sponsored Links

gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2013 at 06:53
   YUM...great reminder that it's time to eat and enjoy pumpkin seeds! 

thanks for sharing!
Enjoy The Food!
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2013 at 11:45
outstanding, bill! we do these every year, usually just with salt - but some flavour combinations that you mention sound worth a try for sure!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2013 at 13:36
MMM... love me some pumpkin seeds (and pumpkins for that matter) but I can't stand cleaning them. The smell of the pumpkin guts makes me gag every time. 
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
Rod Franklin View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2013 at 15:42
I have cracked open a LOT of home made pumpkin seeds while ice fishing.   
Hungry
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2013 at 16:51
Just curious how many people crack them open and eat the inside, or just eat the whole thing. Me... I just eat the whole thing.
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
Rod Franklin View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2013 at 17:13
I don't eat them to sustain myself, kind of a time waster for me really. I always try to remove the seed from the shells without using my hands. I end up eating my share of shells though.
Hungry
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2013 at 18:42
the whole thing for me ~
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2013 at 19:29
I eat the whole thing. 

Kind of strange, though, cuz with sunflower seeds I get rid of the hulls. 
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2013 at 19:57
Originally posted by HistoricFoodie HistoricFoodie wrote:

I eat the whole thing. 

Kind of strange, though, cuz with sunflower seeds I get rid of the hulls. 

I'm exactly the same way. Seems like the pumpkin shells are a little less tough, maybe that's why I eat them but not the sunflower seed shells.
Mike
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2013 at 17:05
Whole thing. I do the same with sunflower seeds, and have occasionally done it with peanuts
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2013 at 17:57
    If they're homemade pumpkin seeds, I always eat the whole thing...delicious!!!

But if they're store bought (what...David brand maybe) I split them in my mouth and eat the center seed.

little side story.  I was probably 13(or so) before I had my first pistachio.  One of my good friends and I were walking around the mall...I'm sure up to no good (but of course not really causing any trouble).  He gave me one of his red dyed pistachios.  Having always eaten pumpkin seeds and even peanuts in the shell (at times), I put one into my mouth and bite down hard...the thing shattered in my mouth and I quickly learned how that was a mistake.  OUCH!
Enjoy The Food!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic