Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Oceania and the Pacific Islands > Australia and New Zealand
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Curried Cauliflower Flatbread

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Curried Cauliflower Flatbread
    Posted: 10 December 2013 at 00:54

This is an Anthony Bourdain recipe... but I am claiming it because I discovered it and I make it on a regular basis and everyone of my family and friends love it.

Curried Cauliflower Flatbread

1 medium cauliflower (1 1/2 pounds), trimmed and finely chopped

4 tablespoons peanut oil, or grapeseed, corn or olive oil

Salt and ground black pepper

1 cup whole wheat flour

1 1/2 cups light coconut milk

1 tablespoon curry powder, or more to taste.

1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Put cauliflower in a roasting pan, drizzle with a tablespoon of oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss. Spread into a single layer and roast until tender and nicely browned, tossing with a spatula halfway through, for a total of 15 to 20 minutes.

2. While cauliflower roasts, put flour into a bowl. Add one teaspoon of salt and coconut milk, whisking to eliminate lumps. Batter should be about the consistency of pancake batter. Set aside.

3. When cauliflower is finished roasting, sprinkle it with curry powder and toss; fold cauliflower into batter.

4. Pour remaining oil into a 10-inch nonstick ovenproof skillet and put in oven. Wait a couple of minutes for oil to get hot, then carefully remove pan, pour in batter, spread it into an even layer and return skillet to oven. Bake for about an hour, or until flatbread is well browned, firm and crisp around edges. (It will release easily from pan when it is done.) Let it rest for a couple of minutes before turning it out and cutting it into wedges.

Yield: 4 to 8 appetizer servings.

Resident Peasant
Sponsored Links

gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2013 at 07:31
My "short" just grew longer...... again
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2013 at 12:44
I hate when that happens.  I'll be trying this soon. Thanks Ann.
Percebes View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percebes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2016 at 19:28
This looks lovely.
I was looking for another side to bring to an Easter Brunch on Sunday. I just found it
I recently purchased a few containers of Sharwood's Mild Curry powder and was looking for a few recipes beyond my old stand-by Classy Chicken.

I will post pics upon production.
I am a wine enthusiast. The more wine I drink, the more enthusiastic I become.
Percebes View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percebes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2016 at 11:07
First attempt so bear with any errors from the original.
Cauliflower Roasted at 400F for 20 minutes turning once. But was still pale so I gave a further 15 minutes.
I had no whole wheat flour so I used 3/4 cup white flour and 1/4 cup Soy Flour.
We like curry, So I used 1 tablespoon mild curry powder and 1 Teaspoon medium curry powder.

I had coconut oil so I used it instead of the listed oils to enhance the coconut flavor.

Still in oven. Cooked pics to follow.
Percebes View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percebes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2016 at 12:21
I reduced the heat to 380f to compensate for my cast iron skillet and increased the cooking time by 15 minutes. This was my error as I believe this caused the inside to become a bit moist and gummy.

It would not release after resting so I had to quarter it in the pan and remove the quarters-Again my mistake in pan selection-next time I will use my non-stick skillet.
Overall the recipe is very solid and the flavor is wonderful.

Perhaps I could have roasted the cauliflower even more initially to dry it further to avoid the gumminess.
Perhaps the white flour and soy are the culprits.

I will be making this again and often!!1
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2016 at 01:27
Oh yum!
That looks great and my nose knows how totally great this smells in the house.
Well done and I am dead chuffed you tried it.
Some of the 'gumminess' can come from the coconut cream. You kind of have to learn to balance it with how 'wet' your cauli is. This is actually better made with a cauli that may have sat in the vege bin a few days too long.Wink
Resident Peasant
Percebes View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percebes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2016 at 07:32
About a dozen of us in attendance and all but 2 people tried a small wedge.
My 2 year old niece had 3 mini wedges and was looking for more.

Six people asked for the recipe.

The comment was made a few times that this was a amazing dead simple recipe to produce the flavor and crunch of a Pakora without having to break out the fryer.
A highly successful first attempt.
My whole family thanks you.
My wife said "Smart Lady" and asked if we had more cauliflower and coconut milk available.
Percebes View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percebes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2016 at 12:57
This was soooo good the first time that this evenings
 dinner guests that tried it at Easter asked if it could be on the menu tonight.

I was happy to oblige.
A few changes from my first attempt.
I am cooking it in my Volrath Non-stick and I added a 1/4 c of chopped green onions that I had in the fridge and needed a home.

I also upped the soy flour to 1/3.

I have pics, however I just installed Windows 10 and the destinations are not the same.Angry

I will search some more
Pics that I imported are lost in cyber space and Windows 10 also deleted those pics from my camera.

But-Let me assure you that this recipe is awesome.
My 82 year old Hungarian MIL had 3 nice warm wedges and then plastered about a 1/8" of butter on each..
Moving from cast iron to my Aluminum Volrath at 400F did the trick and the Flatbread slid right off and all gumminess issue were gone.
I served this with some Roast Turkey and one guest asked if the curry powder could be replaced with some Herbes de Provence to mimic a Bread Turkey Dressing.

I told her to go for it, But personally I will stick with the Original-Thank you very muchLOL

Percebes View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percebes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2016 at 10:12
So excited to make this again.
Picking sour Cherries to make some Meggy Bors tomorrow morning and then having a small dinner gathering to thank my conscripted pickers.
Chicken Paillards with a Morel Traminer Reisling Sauce ,
Curried Cauliflower Flatbread.
Pear and Parsnip Dauphinois with a hit of nutmeg
Homemade Lemon Pheasant Egg Ambrosia Ice Cream
Percebes View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percebes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2016 at 09:42
And again!!!!!!

This is sooo good I can't stay away for long.
Found a cauli in the bin that was begging to be used.

A bit of chill in the air-suspect we will see snow in the next 3 weeks. Overnight lows getting down to 3C lately.

A perfect recipe for a day like today.
I am grateful for this recipe and this forum.
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2016 at 16:29
Yes!  Very good stuff indeed.  I tried it on the grill to add a hint of smoke flavor and it worked well

Percebes View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percebes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2017 at 09:14
Brined and smoking a Turkey for supper tonight.

Decided to make this yet again with a small twist.

Added a 1/2 package of Creamed Coconut to the coconut milk. Upped the flour with a 1/3 cup of Gluten free flour that has been sitting in the cupboard waiting for a home.
And decided on Jamaican Curry Powder since bringing some back from a trip there last Nov.
Finished the Turkey in the house last 6 Degrees F due to an unexpected rather persistent hail storm

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 15:32
Looking really good, guys - I am going to have to try this. The reports on it are simply too positive to ignore!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic