Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Germany
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Dacotah House German Potato Salad...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3montes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dacotah House German Potato Salad...
    Posted: 01 April 2010 at 06:35
I am from a small town in southern Mn which is very rich in history. New Ulm Mn. The town was founded by German imigrants in the 1800's. The Dacotah House was a very popular hotel that opened in 1859 by a lady named Helena Seiter who most likely passed the recipe on to her daughter Emma who's husband ran the food department at the hotel for many years.
The potato salad always drew lavish praise from all the hotel guests.

The hotel was used as a refuge and hospital during the 1862 Dakota Sioux uprising.
Here is the plaque commerating the hotel which is there today.

This recipe has been made in our family for generations. I'm sure many of you are familiar with it and may have variations of it but this is what we have always considered to be the authentic german potato salad.
Very simple ingredient and very simple to make. I prefer to serve it warm along side of some landeajers sausage.

2lbs red potatos cooked with jackets- cool and peel
Fry 4 or 5 slices of bacon and cut into pieces.
Add a small onion diced and fry until sof in the bacon grease,
Slice potatos and season with 1t salt 1/2 t pepper and 1/2 t Accent (optional) Add bacon and onion to potatos.

Next cook over medium heat  3/4 cup sugar, 3/4 cup vinegar and 1 1/2 cups water
Thicken with 1 1/2 T flour and 1 1/2 T cornstarch mixed with water.
Bring to a boil the flour and corn starch and water until it thickens. Pour over the potato mixture.
Add until you reach the desired consistency.
I like it about the consistency of syrup.
Enjoy!

Sponsored Links

3montes View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3montes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 06:56
Hmm... I have a pic of the finished product but it seems Photobucket and this site are not friendly??
"A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch."- James Beard
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 07:12
excellent post, keith - i really enjoy reading about the roots of a dish and this one has a great story to go with it ~

all of my pix here are hosted by photobucket, so it should work; not sure what might be wrong? double-check the link and if you still have problems, let me know and i will see if i can dig a little deeper, ok?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 07:16
alright, i got it ~ for some reason, the address of the pic seemed to have a lot of extra numbers/letters at the end (http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a105/tazracing/100_0908-1-1.jpgt=1270126493). when i eliminated everything after ".jpg," the picture came right up!
3montes View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3montes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 07:33
Thanks Ron! Here is a better pic.
"A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart who looks at her watch."- James Beard
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 09:04
outstanding ~ that looks beautiful!
got14u View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote got14u Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2010 at 10:38
Nice write up and dish as well. I to really enjoy the history behind a recipe, or history in general
Jerod

Life's hard, it's even harder when your stupid.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2010 at 06:04
Sounds just like Grandma's recipe...I'm quite sure this will be awesome.
Go ahead...play with your food!
Beer-B-Q View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant
Rest in Peace - 22 DEC 2011

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beer-B-Q Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2010 at 09:22
Sounds Great Keith.  I love German Potato Salad so I am going to have to try this recipe...
Boilermaker View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boilermaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2010 at 11:22
Can't wait to try this one.  Love good warm German Potato Salad.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic