Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The US and Canada > New England and the Northeast
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Cioppino

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cioppino
    Posted: 01 January 2014 at 02:15
As promised, I prepared a nice cioppino for the bride and myself to enjoy new year's eve. I started the the stew the day before so that the flavors in the sauce would have time to marry in the fridge overnight, and all I'd have to do is reheat and cook the seafood.

Here's what we started with:

Cored and sliced the fennel bulb, along with about 7 cloves of garlic that were minced, one large onion sliced, and several stalks of celery sliced.

Sweat them for a few minutes in evoo:

Then it was time to add 2 good tablespoons of tomato paste and cook for a few minutes

Once the paste was nicely in, I added a bay leaf, 2 tsp dried oregano and one heaping tsp crushed red pepper....sauted a bit more, then deglazed the pan with 2 cups of dry red wine. I used "three buck chuck" for this particular application.

Then it was time to add two cups of seafood stock....I used my favorite...."better than boullion" and was very happy with the results. Also added one can of chef's cut tomatoes with juice and I just let it all simmer and get to know each other for an hour or two, and I steamed up a nice 2-1/2 pound lobster to break down and go with it tomorrow.

Ok...fast forward 24 hours and here we are.....laying out and prepping the seafood for the main event. Around the edge clockwise starting at 12 o'clock...shrimp, lovely huge sea scallops, precooked loster meat, and chunked mahi mahi. In the middle some littleneck clams and a bit of Rhode Island calimari.

Brought my sauce back up to temp and put in what needed to be cooked the longest first...in this case it was the littlenecks and mahi mahi....I was figuring 5-10 minutes on them. I also added a bunch of chopped fresh parsley at this point.

Then as needed, added the remaining ingredients with the calimari going in last...it only cooked about 90 seconds.

Then garnished it up with a chiffonade of fresh basil and served it  in large bowls with plenty of warm snowflake rolls to soak up all that lovely juice and sauce.

The red wine provided a nice background with the garlic and stock...just barely a hint of red pepper came through, and the bay leaf and oregano were as one could expect. The fennel was wonderful...I have seen many recipes for this dish that call for bell peppers, but I opted for the fennel and was very happy that I did. I do taste constantly when cooking, and I guess I did wind up putting about a half tsp kosher salt in it as the only addition to the recipe.
I really couldn't be happier with the outcome of this dish...I would encourage any of you who have access to fresh or IQF seafood to take a stab at this. 
Go ahead...play with your food!
Sponsored Links

gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2014 at 10:11
   Man oh man Hoser, that is a seafood delight!  I couldn't wait to see how things went with this dish, once you said you were making it...it looks really good (as does the seafood!).

Nice job...and thanks for posting the recipe.  I'll be making this one at some point in the future....yum!

Happy New Year!
Enjoy The Food!
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2014 at 12:54
Absolutely beautiful, Dave - I love it! Thank you for posting such detailed instructions and photos, incuding your thought process and WHY you did what you did. A wonderful signature post for this forum, and I truly wish I'd have been there to try it ~

Happy new year!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Rod Franklin View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Franklin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 January 2014 at 19:26
That does look good!
Hungry
africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 January 2014 at 23:53
this is my type of food .
your cioppino looks divine .
Ahron
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2014 at 01:31

Hoser,

Wonderful dish, called Brodetto in Italia.

Of course, the lobster looks divine !

Happy New Year.
Margaux.
Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2016 at 17:18
I've been wanting to make Dave's Cioppino for quite some time, and earlier this year I made it a goal to do so. I had intended to make it during Lent, but time and ingredients got away from me, and my plans were delayed.

However, I am a persistent person, and was finally able to line everything up in order to prepare this today; Dave's broth is simmering as I type this, and after it sits in the fridge overnight tonight, I'll finish it tomorrow.

I followed Dave's instruction above quite closely, with only a couple of very minor differences. The Beautiful Mrs. Tas doesn't do well with crushed red pepper flakes, so I used a tablespoon of Spanish pimentón. Also, with the closest Trader Joe's being in Spokane, Washington, I had no way to get any "Three Buck Chuck." Instead, I used a Pinot Noir from Barefoot, which seems to be working very well. The smells wafting in from the kitchen are really wonderful, and I'm truly impressed so far. I elected to use fresh bay leaves for this project, rather than the usual dried ones that I have, and I may never use dried bay leaves again. If you haven't ever tried fresh bay leaves, then my advice for the week is to give them a shot; they have an aroma that really, really makes a difference, like the difference between using "dollar store" paprika and good Hungarian paprika.

For the seafood, I've got an interesting medley, based on input from The Beautiful Mrs. Tas and my youngest son, Roger. We have 1 lobster tail, which will be steamed and cut up for the soup as Dave's whole lobster was. We also have clams, sea scallops, extra-large shrimp, cod fillets and mussels. Finally, giving a nod to this dish's San Francisco roots, I am including some Pacific salmon and crab legs. The result is possibly a little seafood-heavy, but I'll do my best to portion accordingly, and get a good distribution of everything to everyone.

I'll post a photo or two when I can, but they probably won't be very good ones; I am limited to a cell phone and/or iPod camera now, and am not entirely satisfied with the photos that I get from either of them.

I am really looking forward to this, and can't thank Dave enough for inspiring me to try this!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2016 at 11:04
Man, I'm going to have to give this a shot someday. I just wish the rest of my family liked seafood. 
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2016 at 02:38
Sure sounds like you're putting together an awesome dish Ron...can hardly wait to see the results.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2016 at 15:31
Well the bad news is that it took me 6 MONTHS to post these photos, but the good news is that today is Dave's birthday, so it is kind of a good thing!

Dave's photos of the preparation are better than any that I would ever be able to take, but I did want to get a shot of the seafood that went into this wonderful stew:

As noted above, I used 1 lobster tail, which was steamed and cut up for the soup as Dave's whole lobster was. I also added clams, sea scallops, extra-large shrimp, cod fillets and mussels. Finally, giving a nod to this dish's San Francisco roots, I included some Pacific salmon and crab legs.

Following Dave's instructions, I produced a beautiful, aromatic Cioppino that was pleasing to the eye, the nose and the palate. I cannot explain the wonderful things that were going on with this stew - you simply have to make it yourself!

Everyone enjoyed it, even though it was probably a bit seafood-heavy. We don't get to try such things often here in land-locked Montana, so it was a bit of a treat. The real star, in my opinion, was the wonderful rich, amazing broth - Dave's adaptation is simply outstanding, and I can't imagine it any other way. It has so many good things in perfect proportion - aromatics, herbs, tomato, spices...perfect harmony!

Thanks again, Dave, for teaching us how to make your Cioppino, and Happy Birthday!

Ron
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2016 at 03:11
That is a lovely seafood fest Ron....you didn't overdo it at all. Clap
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2016 at 09:40
Wonderful  Ron.
A true Italian American San Francisco shellfish specialty.

It is called a BRODETTO on the Adriatic Eastern Coast of Italia ..  And the récipes vary in the type of shellfish and even fish varieties employed ..

ALL always spectacular !! 

Enjoy ..  

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic