Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The US and Canada > The Southeast
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Pan-Fried Pork w/Rosemary & Scallions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pan-Fried Pork w/Rosemary & Scallions
    Posted: 22 April 2014 at 08:46

This is another recipe that’s been on my to-do list for a long time. So long, in fact, that I’ve no idea where it came from originally.

Finally got around to it last night, and it’s a real winner. Had a pork loin in the freezer that was just under four pounds, so doubled everything. For a big family that would be just about right.

Because I don’t know where the recipe originated, I’m just posting it here, at my home forum.

Pan-Fried Pork with Rosemary & Scallions

½ cup all-purpose flour
¼ tsp white pepper
2 lb boneless pork loin, sliced ¼ inch thick
¼ cup olive oil
1 ¼ cups chicken broth
¼ cup dry white wine (can sub apple juice)
1 tbls white wine vinegar
2 scallions, white & green, sliced thin
1 tbls fresh rosemary, minced
2 tbls butter
½ tsp black pepper

In a medium bowl, toss together the flour and white pepper. Lightly dredge the pork slices I the flour, shaking off excess.

Heat a large skillet over moderately high heat. Add two tablespoons of the oil and let it heat. Add one-third of the pork to the pan and fry until the bottom edges begin to brown, 1-2 minutes. Turn and fry until just cooked through, two to three minutes longer. Transfer to a large baking dish and keep warm. Fry the remaining pork in the same way.

Melt the butter in the same skillet. Add the scallions and rosemary, and sauté for about 30 seconds to heat through. Add two to three tablespoons of the flour used for dusting the pork, and cook another minute. Combine the broth, wine, and vinegar and pour into the skillet, stirring. Add the black pepper.

Bring to boil, lower heat, and cook until the sauce is slightly thickened. Pour over the pork. Serve immediately, or keep warm in a 200F oven.
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2014 at 17:38
Sounds really nice, Brook - I'd definitely try that during the fall or winter!

I'm loving that I can get a good idea of how it would probably taste, just by reading the recipe ~ this really does look like a good one!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2014 at 03:35
Sounds simple, and delicious Brook. My kind of recipe for sure....my wife is a lover of pork so this one will get onto the list as well. Might be good with some of that massa I used the other day tossed in as well.
Go ahead...play with your food!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2014 at 05:47
Long as it doesn't conflict with the rosemary, Dave, I'd say that sounds right.

My feeling is, if you think of this as an approach, then it's very forgiving. The only thing you really have to watch out for is not overcooking the pork. It doesn't take much with thin slices like that. Two minutes per side is just about right.

Other than that, any flavor profile normally associated with pork should work.
africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2014 at 11:05
It is interesting  . pork and rosemary .i know that lamb got a strong flavors and it go's great with rosemary . doesn't  rosemary  overpowering the delicate taste of the pork?
Ahron
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2014 at 11:34
It probably could if you used a whole bunch of it, Ahron. But there's only a tablespoon, which is barely even a whole sprig.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2014 at 21:36
Brook - one thing I was wondering: how did you handle the fat cap on the loin? I usually trim quite a bit down, but for roasting, I leave it on, sometimes scoring it.
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2014 at 05:09
Good question, Ron. And the recipe doesn't specify.

I usually leave it on--or most of it---when roasting, too. Makes the loin self-basting.

But these thin slices cook so quickly I was afraid there wouldn't be enough time for the fat to render. So I trimmed the fat cap completely off.

Must have been the right decision, cuz the pork came out perfect.
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2014 at 06:27
    Sounds like a real nice flavor profile...I can't wait to give this one a try!
Enjoy The Food!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic