Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Latin America > Mexico and Central America
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Carne de Res con Col (Ground Beef with Cabbage)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Carne de Res con Col (Ground Beef with Cabbage)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vlap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Carne de Res con Col (Ground Beef with Cabbage)
    Posted: 06 April 2010 at 11:58
Carne de Res con Col
(Ground Beef with Cabbage)

3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
6 peppercorns
salt to taste
1 lb ground sirloin with a little fat
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup finely chopped white onion
2 jalapeƱo chile, sliced
6 oz tomatoes, finely chopped
4 cups finely shredded cabbage
1 cup cooked Navy beans
2/3 cups Stock
1/2 cup firmly packed, roughly chopped cilantro
Crush the garlic, peppercorns and salt together and mix well into the beef. Set aside for a few minutes to season.
Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet, add the onion, chile and a sprinkle of salt, and cook over medium heat until the onions is translucent, about 1 minute.

Add the tomatoes and continue cooking until most of the juice has been absorbed, about 3 minutes.

Stir the meat into the pan and cook over fairly high heat, stirring from time to time, about 7 minutes.

Add the cabbage, beans, water and cilantro and continue cooking over medium heat, stirring from time to time until the mixture is well seasoned and moist but not juicy, about 15 minutes.

Serve on tortillas, or as a stuffing for chiles or as a main course with rice.

Also good for breakfast with a single fried egg on top. The yolk mixing into the beef really enriches the dish.

I added a bit of low fat Sour Cream that was mixed with Salt, Pepper, Cumin and chile powder on the tortilla. Very tasty!
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2010 at 12:14
another great post with some beautiful pictures! this looks like a great "anytime" dish!
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2010 at 13:51
Excellent post Vee! I recall eating this often, especially leftovers with the egg on top- always seemed to taste better the next day to me. Nice recipe and perfectly done pictures~congratulations for helping enrich our forum!
Vlap View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vlap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2010 at 16:46
Thanks for the compliments gentlemen. I am happy I found this site. I fit better here then the smoking forums I goto since I just don't smoke that much. I love to try so many various foods along with bbq. I look forward to seeing this forum grow.
smokebuzz View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smokebuzz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2010 at 18:44
THAT LOOKS AWSOME!!!, beats the taco's i made tonite
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2010 at 03:54
Sure looks good to me...question: I thought I saw carrots in the pics, but not in the recipe? Do I use some?
Go ahead...play with your food!
Vlap View Drop Down
Cook's Assistant
Cook's Assistant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vlap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2010 at 04:43
Yes, there were carrots in there. To save time I used a slaw mix instead of cutting the cabbage myself. I meant to add that in.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2010 at 04:52
Thank you my friend...that looks delicious and I will give it a try.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2010 at 04:15
I'm trying this tomorrow...I figure it'll be nice to munch on while watching the Masters Tournament. I'm going to omit the jalapeno for my marriage's sake, but will zap mine up with hot sauce, and maybe some cumin. Going to serve it as tacos...so everyone can add what they like. I can't wait to try it...and will report back on Monday.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic