Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > The Balkans
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Schmaltz and Gribenes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Schmaltz and Gribenes
    Posted: 07 July 2014 at 08:39
Hi Guys 
sorry I was   away for long time ,got back from Israel last week and dived Straight in to work .
Picked up a bit of weight so I started  a new diet   . Banting  diet. Low carbohydrate high fat.
http://www.health24.com/Diet-and-nutrition/Nutrition-basics/Tim-Noakes-diet-comes-out-tops-20130210
So no more  pizza , no more bread , no more potatoes , just meat , nuts  egg’s , bacon and full cream 
Cheese  . veggies and fish . 

So for the first time my wife allowed me to do schmaltz .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmaltz
Here is the way my Granny used to do it .

1. cut the chicken skin  in to small pieces and fry in a pan with  a few  drops of water . salt and pepper , 

2. put the fat in a jar  

3. add 1 chopped onion and fry till crisp .

4. add to the schmaltz 

enjoy . 

Ahron
Sponsored Links

HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2014 at 14:38
After going through the trouble of rendering out the schmaltz, I always figured the gribenes was the cook's reward.

If I'm in a good mood I'll share with Friend Wife. Anyone else trying for a handful is likely to lose their fingers.

Ahron, if you haven't done so, try adding some gribenes to the next batch of chopped chicken livers you do. Heaven on a plate!
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2014 at 14:59
I made gribenes with citrus pepper once. Delicious! 
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2014 at 01:43
Sounds like it would be, Melissa.

africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2014 at 04:40
Originally posted by HistoricFoodie HistoricFoodie wrote:

After going through the trouble of rendering out the schmaltz, I always figured the gribenes was the cook's reward.

If I'm in a good mood I'll share with Friend Wife. Anyone else trying for a handful is likely to lose their fingers.

Ahron, if you haven't done so, try adding some gribenes to the next batch of chopped chicken livers you do. Heaven on a plate!

thanks 
yes i put it in chicken livers . yummy.
i like to mix it in the schmaltz so i can smear it on bread.
Ahron
africanmeat View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote africanmeat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2014 at 04:41
Originally posted by Melissa Mead Melissa Mead wrote:

I made gribenes with citrus pepper once. Delicious! 

mast be yummy .
Ahron
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2014 at 04:53
Well...this poor babe in the woods just found out what gribenes are.
Had no idea, but rest assured I'll be making some soon

Go ahead...play with your food!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2014 at 05:57
Gribenes is merely the great secret of Jewish cuisine, Dave.

Cracklings made from poultry are common throughout eastern and central Europe. But they're probably called by different names in each country. Gribenes is Yiddish.
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2014 at 18:46
Speaking of which, what happens to all the skin from skinless chicken parts? Do grocery stores ever sell it?
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2014 at 20:32
I think I need to try this. It sounds disgustingly good!
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2014 at 23:26
I've enjoyed gribenes before, but didn't know that's what they were called; this looks like a wonderful way to try them!

Thank you for sharing your family's way of doing this, Ahron! Clap
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2014 at 05:04
Good question, Karen.

Just guessing here, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that, like so many other edible by-products, that it's sold to hog farmers.

Soon as some sharpie realizes that gribenes and pork rinds are the same sort of product, I'm sure will be seeing it on the market as a "healthier" form of cracklings.
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 July 2014 at 11:08
Originally posted by Melissa Mead Melissa Mead wrote:

Speaking of which, what happens to all the skin from skinless chicken parts? Do grocery stores ever sell it?
I've never seen it for sale, but I would think that if you have a local butcher, he/she may be willing to save some for you.
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2016 at 23:24
Gribenes....what an interesting word. Heck, I've been eating "ocvirke" for many, many years. Gribenes, Greaves, Cracklins, Ocvirke, Cverki... whatever; it's really really good. I just got 8lbs of backfat. Guess what I'm going to make!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic