Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Best Foods You Can Get - Your Own > Hunting and Fishing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

frogs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: frogs
    Posted: 19 July 2014 at 20:31
yum!

Enjoy The Food!
Sponsored Links

HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 03:47
Double yum, Dan.

What you gonna do with them? Actually, I'm sure I shoulda asked, what did ya do wid dem?

But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 July 2014 at 10:30
Originally posted by HistoricFoodie HistoricFoodie wrote:

Double yum, Dan.

What you gonna do with them? Actually, I'm sure I shoulda asked, what did ya do wid dem?

haha...hooray frog season!  It's really one of my favorite proteins.  To me, it's like a mix (both flavor and texture) of dark meat on a chicken and catfish...maybe even a 60/40 split to the catfish.  We usually always grill'em.  Just a light rub of vegetable oil (olive oil is too strong)...grill them...then a squeeze of citrus while they're still on the grill and top with some salt when they're done.  It's tough for me to eat them any other way...

But, we've got a good mix of them saved up for a frog feast Clap

take care Brook!
Enjoy The Food!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2014 at 00:14
I never thought of grilling them. Sounds good.

I usually dust with seasoned flour (salt, pepper, garlic) and pan fry 'em. If I get to go this season (it's hard, when you work nights), I'll give the grill a try. 
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2014 at 02:41
It all sounds fantastic to me....I LOVE a big batch of frog legs
Thumbs Up

Go ahead...play with your food!
Margi Cintrano View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Margi Cintrano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2014 at 07:55

Dan,

I agree on the taste profile, sort of mild chicken and catfish fusión.

I rarely see them on Madrid cartes, however, they are quite common in Extremadura, the central south western province just north of Sevilla. As Extremadura has numerous bodies of wáter, in its Biosphere Nature Reserve áreas.

Most of Spain is quite dry and arid and irrigated for crop cultivation.

I have always had them grilled here.

Volamos a Mediterraneo, un paraiso que conquista su gente u su cocina.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2014 at 08:03
Originally posted by Margi Cintrano Margi Cintrano wrote:

Dan,

I agree on the taste profile, sort of mild chicken and catfish fusión.

I rarely see them on Madrid cartes, however, they are quite common in Extremadura, the central south western province just north of Sevilla. As Extremadura has numerous bodies of wáter, in its Biosphere Nature Reserve áreas.

Most of Spain is quite dry and arid and irrigated for crop cultivation.

I have always had them grilled here.

For how good they are, I'm surprised that froggin' isn't bigger than it is.  These little guys are delicious! Brook, they are certainly delicious with a nicely seasoned dredge too!

Yum!
Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2014 at 09:45
a group of frogs from three of us who went out...just short of our limit...but still a very good night froggin'!

now that's a nice pair of legs!
Enjoy The Food!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2014 at 15:44
A couple of possible reasons froggin' isn't more popular, Dan.

First is the concept of "sport." Far too many outdoor types look down on those who hunt or fish for the table. "Meat hunters," they sneeringly call them.

This attitude is, unfortunately, supported by the outdoor press. Which is why you see so many articles about catching (and releasing) bass & trout, and so few about catching (and keeping) catfish.

Sorry guys. I'm primarily a catch & release fisherman myself. But that does not make me morally superior to somebody who keeps a few trout for the table.

Second is squeamishness. The same person who orders frog legs in a restaurant balks if they have to catch, clean, and cook the little amphids themselves. Sadly enough, this includes professional food service people as well, many of whom wouldn't know how to start breaking down a frog. Hell, most of them can't even break down a chicken, and they cook those every day.

Third is just plain lack of knowledge. Most of us, nowadays, do not have a father---uncle---friend of the family to take us out and teach us outdoor skills. So even developing an interest in such things can be far fetched; particularly when you're constantly bombarded by media and teachers saying that hunting, fishing, trapping, and other consumptive uses of the outdoors is evil.

Me, I had a different problem. The owner of a hunt club where I used to work had stocked his ponds with African bullfrogs. We're talking about frogs measuring a foot or more long. I mean we're talking about frogs so big that ten of 'em made a dozen.

So, for the longest time, I couldn't believe that there was enough meat on domestic frogs to make eating them worthwhile.

Of course, I was just as wrong as the liberals who think froggin' is a sin to begin with.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2014 at 10:37
    Hi Brook, you certainly bring up many good points.

A couple of possible reasons froggin' isn't more popular, Dan.

First is the concept of "sport." Far too many outdoor types look down on those who hunt or fish for the table. "Meat hunters," they sneeringly call them. 

This attitude is, unfortunately, supported by the outdoor press. Which is why you see so many articles about catching (and releasing) bass & trout, and so few about catching (and keeping) catfish.

Sorry guys. I'm primarily a catch & release fisherman myself. But that does not make me morally superior to somebody who keeps a few trout for the table. 

I gave up on outdoor magazines many many moons ago.  No particular reason...I just got tired of the heavy advertisements that invaded the magazines, then the articles.  True, there were still good choices out there...but I just gave up on them.  So, snooty attitude be damned!

I've been an overly catch and release fisherman my entire life.  Back when I was a kid...I would throw an occasional catfish into the freezer for our end of the year fish fry.  But as I grew up...I would throw everything back.  

My thinking has been changing over the years.  Partially due to my love of food...and land...perhaps my thinking has been a little flawed, over the years...at least for me.  I still don't eat locally caught fish that much...just an occasional from pond to table.  

For me, I think the thing I try to keep in mind is if what I'm doing is legal and within the laws and regulations.  Then, can the land being used, sustain some of its animals being taken.  I'm not going to take walleye out of any of the lakes near me.  Same with other animals.  If there's a lake that's holding a few good frogs and the rest small ones...there's no way I'm taking anything out of there.  Same goes for birds and other animals...some plants too.

I'm really not interested in depleting the lands supplies...but I'm not interested in bringing home any trophies either.  My philosophy about venison is similar, I'll let any trophy buck walk on by.  I'm not going after trophy bucks, I'm not interested in a wall mount...why would I want to kill that animal?  I can appreciate why people are trophy hunters...but I just want to shoot a doe for some meat.

Second is squeamishness. The same person who orders frog legs in a restaurant balks if they have to catch, clean, and cook the little amphids themselves. Sadly enough, this includes professional food service people as well, many of whom wouldn't know how to start breaking down a frog. Hell, most of them can't even break down a chicken, and they cook those every day.

Third is just plain lack of knowledge. Most of us, nowadays, do not have a father---uncle---friend of the family to take us out and teach us outdoor skills. So even developing an interest in such things can be far fetched; particularly when you're constantly bombarded by media and teachers saying that hunting, fishing, trapping, and other consumptive uses of the outdoors is evil.

Me, I had a different problem. The owner of a hunt club where I used to work had stocked his ponds with African bullfrogs. We're talking about frogs measuring a foot or more long. I mean we're talking about frogs so big that ten of 'em made a dozen.

So, for the longest time, I couldn't believe that there was enough meat on domestic frogs to make eating them worthwhile.

Of course, I was just as wrong as the liberals who think froggin' is a sin to begin with.

I just looked up African bullfrogs...oh my!  do they even jump?  Those things are huge!

thanks for the input
Enjoy The Food!
Percebes View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percebes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2014 at 16:58
Smoked Frogs are popular in Canada, especially at our house

Even fire- roasted tableside in my Asador de Barro with a splash of Clear.

I am a wine enthusiast. The more wine I drink, the more enthusiastic I become.
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2015 at 13:48
    I didn't check in as much for a few months...and somehow this post escaped me.  I haven't tried smoking frog legs...it sounds great!  

some nice looking leg there, that's for sure

Enjoy The Food!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic