Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Asia > The Middle East
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Armenian Cuisine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Armenian Cuisine
    Posted: 31 July 2014 at 07:09
Prominently on display in my local library’s recent acquisition section was a book called The Armenian Table Cookbook.

It’s been said, with some accuracy, that I’m psychologically unable to pass a cookbook. So I picked it up and started browsing. O-M-G. The first page opened to a recipe for baked chicken in yogurt turmeric sauce with fresh peas.

The next was mussels in tomato onion broth with toasted breadcrumb topping. Not the next page, you understand. I’m just randomly flipping here and there.

If those two don’t trip your trigger, how about quince or tart apple dolmas with pork stuffing? Or potato and chickpea fritters? Or….well you get the idea?

Armenian food and culture is something I literally knew nothing about before this book. Now I think I’ve died and gone to heaven. Maybe. No question, though, that everything sounds incredible.

I’m not planning on Armenian for one of our themed meals. At least not in the immediate future. I want to get away from that part of the world and explore other cuisines. Maybe sub-Saharan Africa, or South America?

But, in the meantime, I do want to learn more about what seems to be a fascinating amalgam of Russian, Turkish, Mediterranean , and other influences.

What I’m hoping is that other members might know a little about Armenian food, perhaps post some tried & true recipes, or refer me to other books and sources?
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Sponsored Links

TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2014 at 22:03
Brook - foods from that area are indeed interesting, and look delicious. 

I'm looking forward to seeing what you find out about the cuisine! I might have a few things in my FotW/Russia book - or perhaps the Middle East....

(later)

Brook - both Culinaria Russia and FotW Russia have extensive sections on Armenia and its foodways. If you're interested, let me know and I can try to scan/email - or at least transcribe a few recipes....
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2014 at 08:27
If you can do that without too much trouble, Ron, I'd appreciate it.

Meanwhile, we're planning on incorporating some of these dishes in our normal dinner cycle. Eventually I'm sure we'll do a themed meal.
Jules View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 21:28
It's been a few years, how did your Armenian cooking go? Hopefully if you continued with it you have already discovered Heghineh, an Armenian blogger but if not you should look in to her recipes. All the ones I have made so far have been spectacular.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 21:42
Thanks for the tip, Jules,

Unfortunately, because I got busy with other explorations, the Armenian stuff went on hold.  This is a good reminder, though. Perhaps when I finish my new project (Persian) I'll get back to it.

Jules View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 21:45
Persian sounds interesting, I got the book Joon by Najmieh Batmanglij, from my MIL for Christmas and have cooked a few recipe from it that we loved. Particularly the fessenjoon, that is a classic for a reason, we all loved that one.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 21:49
Did you make it the traditional way, using duck?

Around here duck is hardly available. And when it is it takes a second mortgage.  So I make it using chicken. Not my adaptation, btw, but one I found in my researches.
Anyway, the thread is called Persiana, if you want to see what I've posted so far.

Jules View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 21:55
I made it with chicken, I live in a town so small get fresh herbs is difficult some weeks. Duck is not a thing here. I'll go check out the other thread.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2019 at 22:08
Don't hesitate to add to or comment on the thread.  The idea is to both share my researches and food experiences, and to stimulate a discussion as well.  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic