Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Europe > Hungary
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Spinach Fritters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Cook
Cook

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DIYASUB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spinach Fritters
    Posted: 26 August 2014 at 15:13
SPENOT BOMBA
(shpeh-noht bohm-bah)

Spinach Fritters

A pretty easy recipe with just a few ingredients, these fritters are a tasty side dish that goes well

with roast pork, roast beef, or a grilled steak.

Spinach
3 eggs separated
3 Tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
Cooking oil

The Spinach can be fresh, rinsed, cooked, and chopped, frozen, or canned.This time I used a 27 oz.

can, drained and chopped.

I mixed the egg yolks and 1 Tablespoon of oil.
I then stirred in the salt and enough flour to make a thick creamy batter.

The cooked, chooped, spinach was then added to the batter.

Then the egg whites were beaten until they formed peaks.
The beaten egg whites were then gently folded into the other ingredients.

I used a gravy ladle to put the mix into the electric frypan, which was set to 350 degrees.

A few minutes on each side and they were done! (I blessed them with just a little sweet Hungarian

paprika to add some color)

Cubed steak and spinach fritters!

Side Notes:
This is a basic recipe and can be adjusted to suit the chef's own taste. A bit of black pepper, or perhaps garlic powder? Maybe some chopped green onions as a garnish? Sure, go ahead and make it to suit yourself!
The strong flavor of the spinach can be diluted by adding more whipped egg whites.
These can be cooked in an electric frypan, as I did this evening, or on the stove in a skillet, but keep in mind that cooking oil adds nothing to the flavor, whereas bacon fat would be preferrable if available.
In Hungarian he's known as "Popaj a tengeresz", but of course here in the U.S. we know him as "Popeye the Sailorman" and yes that is "Popeye" brand spinach I used!
Sponsored Links

AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2014 at 15:46
Or as we call them, "Barf Burgers"  They look like crap, but they are tasty.
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 August 2014 at 20:46
I could easily love some of that, Bill - another easy and delicious home-style Hungarian dish!

Thanks for sharing, Bill!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic