Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Food, Health and Wellness > Food Safety
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Still good?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Still good?
    Posted: 16 November 2014 at 12:00
Pulled some smoked sausage out of the freezer to cook with. It says "Use by March 2014." Should I throw it out, or is it still safe to use because it's been frozen?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links

Percebes View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percebes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2014 at 12:15
Two scenarios.
1.You purchased it frozen and that date recognizes the fact that it was frozen. Quality may be reduced slightly-or it may be fine.
Ground meat-has a shorter freezer life than whole muscle because it has increased surface area exposed to oxidation.
2. You purchased it fresh and that date was the best before date of the RAW product, but you froze it.
Two different things, but in either case should be fine-just select a recipe that it will be incorporated in a sauce so it is not highlighted as a stand alone ingredient. IMO
I am a wine enthusiast. The more wine I drink, the more enthusiastic I become.
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2014 at 12:30
It's Hillshire Farm links, or something similar. I think they were refrigerated when I bought them. Frozen since then, in an unopened shrink wrapped package.  Intended to go in with sauteed cabbage. Thanks!
Percebes View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Percebes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2014 at 12:46
Sounds like a tasty meal.
I am certain that your judgement is good and if smelled or looked off then you would discard it.
But the fact that it is smoked would give me confidence that it has been cured and as such has more protection than a strictly fresh sausage.
I am a wine enthusiast. The more wine I drink, the more enthusiastic I become.
Melissa Mead View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Melissa Mead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2014 at 13:21
That's what I was hoping. Thanks!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 November 2014 at 22:58
One other consideration: While there might be some loss in quality, it's doubtful that frozen smoked sausage would be unsafe.

In short, from a food-safety viewpoint, the use-by date is irrelevant. If it ever had any true relevance to begin with.
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2014 at 03:53
I totally agree with the above advice...if it's smoked sausage it was treated with cure #1 o prevent any nasties from taking hold.
The fact that it is vacuum sealed tells me not to worry a bit. Perfectly safe.
Go ahead...play with your food!
AK1 View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AK1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2014 at 12:05
They're good.  Best before typically means refrigerated. Frozen is a complete other issue. Thaw and use that day.
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2014 at 15:59
Eat it up, you'll be fine. 
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic