Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Asia > Southeast Asia
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Clams With Roast Chili Sauce

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clams With Roast Chili Sauce
    Posted: 09 May 2015 at 21:55
I like all types of Thai food, but am especially fond of the way they handle seafood. Here’s a great dish we had this evening:

THAI CLAMS WITH ROASTED CHILI PASTE

2 tbls vegetable oil     
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 shallots, chopped     
2 lbs small clams, well scrubed
2 tbls roasted chili paste     
1/3 cup chicken stock
1 tbls fish sauce     
1 tbls soy sauce
2 tsp sugar     
½ cup sweet basil leaves

Heat a wok or large skillet over medium high heat and add oil. Add garlic, shallots, and clams and stir fry two minutes.

Add chili paste, stock, fish sauce, soy sauce and sugar and cook, uncovered, for 8 o 12 minutes, tossing occasionally, until clams open.

Stir in basil leaves. Serve with the pan juices, garnished with sliced fresh chilies if desired.

Roasted chili paste is available in many Asian markets. But it’s easy enough to make your own:

THAI ROASTED CHILI PASTE

½ cup dried red chilies     
½ cup garlic cloves, unpeeled
½ cup shallots, unpeeled, halved lengthwise
1/3 cup vegetable oil     
1 tsp fish sauce
1 tbls palm or brown sugar

In a dry wok or skillet over low heat cook the chilies, stirring often, until skins darken and become brittle. Remove from pan.

In same pan, cook garlic and shallots, stiffing often, until they soften and dark spots appear. Remove from pan.

Remove stems and seeds from chilies and peel garlic and shallots. Using a food processor or mortar and pestle, process or pound until a smooth paste forms.

In same skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Scrape in the paste. Add fish sauce and suar. Cook for 4-5 minutes until paste darkens. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.

Store in the fridge, making sure oil covers the paste.
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
Sponsored Links

Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 02:43
Gosh darn it Brook....you've got me drooling here at 4:40 in the am.

I adore Thai cuisine, and the price on clams is getting better and better....this one is going to happen!
Go ahead...play with your food!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 06:39
I was thinking of you as I typed the recipe, Dave.

When I made it I used littlenecks, cuz those are the smallest available in our area. But steamers, or, if you can find them, Manillas might work even better. I also see no reason this same recipe wouldn't work with mussels

The recipe supposedly serves four. Uh, huh! Maybe as an appetizer. I made a noodle dish as well, and half of it, along with the clams, was just right as a main dish for two.
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2015 at 08:02
   Dang...I would definitely order this if I saw it on a menu!  Hose, if you make this you gotta post a picture!
Enjoy The Food!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 02:25
Pulled the trigger on this fine dish last night.
The only addition I made to the recipe Brook posted was to saute some minced ginger along with the shallots and garlic when getting started.

Also added a bit extra stock...only because I love dipping a crusty roll in all that nice juice.
This one is a winner folks....no doubt about it.
Thanks Brook!

Almost forgot....as you can see I also added a few scallops to the mix...only seared thwem for a minute then removed while the clams cooked. Put them back in right at the end, then garnished with some spring onion.
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2015 at 08:07
Nice job, Dave. That's a great looking bowl of seafood.

I was thinking a little lemon grass wouldn't hurt. But ginger makes sense.

Couldn't agree with you more re: the broth. I was surprised at how little results from the recipe. For a Thai dish it's relatively dry. But, keep in mind I had converted it to a noodle dish, so more broth would have been called for.
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2018 at 04:01
Made this dish again last night, but expanded it to be a bit of "frutti di mare" Thai style. Along with the clams were shrimp, lightly seasoned, seared and put aside and scallops prepared the same way. I was all out of fresh basil, so I used a bunch of chopped cilantro, half in with the clams and half as a garnish.

We both thought the cilantro took it to a new level. Once I got the clams steaming (used a full cup of chicken stock), when all the clams were beginning to open I returned the shrimp and scallops to the broth to reheat.

I'm already looking forward to the next time I make it.....very ,very nice dish.
Thanks again Brook.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic