Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The US and Canada > American Barbecue, Grilling and Smoke-Cooked Foods
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Beef Back Ribs and Pulled Pork Barbecue

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beef Back Ribs and Pulled Pork Barbecue
    Posted: 24 May 2015 at 09:40
Good morning, all -

http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net/kentucky-pulledpork-barbecue_topic4414.html

The meal tasted great, but I ran into a few execution issues. The first was that I got started too late and it ended up being sliced instead of pulled - still tasted great, just not what I prefer. The second problem was with excess moisture during the cook - I was using the water pan. Solution: no water pan this time. Thumbs Up

The 7.95-pound butt roast is simply prepared; yellow mustard slather with Mad Hunky rub. I'm expecting to to be as good a combination as ever.

The beef back ribs are from a prime rib roast. Our local grocery occasionally has these racks whenever a customer has a special order; when the ribs are removed from the roast, they are packaged and put in the case almost as an after-thought - as a result, they are dirt-cheap, and delicious! The great thing about these is that - unlike most racks of beef back ribs that you see in your Pik-a-Mart - the meat in-between the ribs has not been removed, so you get a full rack of awesome beefy goodness, instead of a bunch of sparse ribs with a lot of jerky in-between. I used a slather of about 50/50 Dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce, with a moderate dusting of Cavender's Greek Seasoning. I've never tried this, but am expecting it to be pretty good.

The cooking temperature is going to start at 225 for an hour, then 240 for a similar time, and then 250 until all is finished. Since there's no work tomorrow, it's not as critical to have the meat ready by a certain time, so all should be good. I have half a bag of cherry to provide smoke, and if I run out of that, I'll use something else - maybe hickory, maybe maple, maybe apple.

I'm interested in seeing how the cook will proceed without a water pan in this electric smoker - I'm expecting a lot less hassle, and a good meal!
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
Sponsored Links

drinks View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 15:30
When the stores started skinning out the ribs for hamburger they totally destroyed the idea of cooking beef ribs!!!!!!!!!!!

;>(
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 18:47
    my mouth is watering reading your post.  When I get off work, in the morning, I'll have to stop and see if they have beef ribs out.  Of course, we're expected to have wind gusts up to 50mph tomorrow...I'll check anyways!
Enjoy The Food!
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2015 at 19:23
The beef ribs turned out great, Dan - very good flavours and the beef came through the Greek seasoning very well. I could have used just a bit more Greek seasoning (or a home-made equivalent), but the beef really was the star, here, and I have no complaints at all....

The pork roast is resting at the moment, waiting o be pulled. It was a pretty standard cook, and supper should be just fine. I used Brooks Kentucky mop (50/50 Worcestershire sauce and apple cider vinegar) to good effect, and will offer a couple of different store-bought sauces at the table if anyone wants them. 
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic