Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Food Groups > Grains, Breads and Baking
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Dumplings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dumplings
    Posted: 18 July 2015 at 18:31
I want opinions, in my father's family, dumplings were a large, thick egg noodle.
As I recall, it was flour, salt, a touch of baking powder and egg.
Rolled out about 1/8 ", cut about 2" x 3" and allowed to dry a few hours.
In my mother's family, it was a small piece of biscuit dough, rolled up and dropped in the pot.
I like both, actually prefer the little ball of biscuit, but sure not going to cull the other style, either.
What say you?
Sponsored Links

gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2015 at 20:02
   Hi drinks!

I have no idea what proper dumpling protocol is, but I've noticed the same two types of dumplings as well.  From my experience I've seen the large, thick noodle type of dumpling more in Southern cooking.  While I've seen the fluffier, biscuit type dumpling up North...here in Illinois and north to Wisconsin and Michigan.  I've had both of these dumplings in Chicken and Dumpling dishes and 'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite.
Enjoy The Food!
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2015 at 02:09
In our house it has always been Bisquick dumplings...just mixed up and dropped on the surface of a nice hot pot of beef stew. 
This is making me a bit nostalgic and a bigger bit hungry.
Go ahead...play with your food!
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2015 at 06:15
Depends on what you mean by "dumpling," and its intended use.

Those two are the more typical in dishes like chicken & dumplings. But consider that things like spaetzle, nockerle, and even ravioli are dumpling. So too are won tons. And so forth.

In our conversations about Germans from Russia, there's lots of dumpling talk, and the variations on that theme are extensive.
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
drinks View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2015 at 11:47
If we are talking dirty, I have even taken canned biscuits,shudder, quartered them and dropped the results in the pot.
I have no shame, or at least, very little when I am in a hurry.
Of course, this can also be done with a pot of beans.

;<)
Tom Kurth View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Kurth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2015 at 17:54
OMG, this raises memories from my years in Nebraska of Czech potato dumplings with roast pork gravy. Easily one of my top ten food memories. Even beats out some of my mama's cooking.

And then there's apple dumplings with vanilla sauce, but that's a whole different kind of dumpling.
Best,
Tom

Escape to Missouri
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic