Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Oceania and the Pacific Islands > Australia and New Zealand
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Kumi Kumi Soup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kumi Kumi Soup
    Posted: 30 August 2015 at 01:52
Kumi Kumi or Kamo Kamo belong to the squash family. They are popular with Maori and are as far as I can tell, unique to New Zealand. They have a very hard skin that becomes tough when baked making it the perfect serving dish for its own flesh. The flavour is unique too, not like pumpkin, but similar, slightly more fruity.
I grew a lot of these last year - I thought I had six different varieties of pumpkin and squash, but I only got these,  and a half dozen buttercup and two grey pumpkins.

They keep well, I am down to my last three harvested in March.

This recipe could not be more simple, or tasty.

Wash the KumiKumi and place it in a roasting pan. Bake at 180°C for one hour.
Cut out the top to make a 'lid' and scoop out the seeds.

Line with bacon and add ½ cup white wine or clear stock, season well.

Put the 'lid' back on and bake another hour
Scrape the flesh off the sides and lid. Add ½C double cream and enough stock to 2/3 fill the shell. Blitz with a stick blender until smooth. Be very careful not to damage the shell.

Serve with fresh hot bread, in this case made from organic stone-ground wheat from Australia.

And that is what we had for Sunday dinner.

Resident Peasant
Sponsored Links

Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2015 at 02:07
That looks very interesting ....a baked soup served in it's own shell.
I often stuff and bake pumpkin or acorn squash, but have never seen this method.
Nice work!Clap
Go ahead...play with your food!
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2015 at 10:48
   Outstanding looking recipe, Effigy! 

I'll have to see if I can adapt this recipe to something I can source this coming fall...thanks!
Enjoy The Food!
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2015 at 23:41
Botanical name - Curcurbito Pepo
It appears to be Mexican in origin, so I would think that strains growing here are probably closer to the originals than some of the cultivars I can see on the web.
There is an interesting Wiki article here.
You can use the juvenile fruit the same way as you would use zucchini. Pretty handy plant really, we got well over 60 fruit from just 3 vines, some I murdered in infancy Cry the rest made it to maturity. Wink

Resident Peasant
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 August 2015 at 10:35
Looks and sounds delish, Ann.

Most winter squash won't remain structurally sound when baked. What I often do is scoop-out the seeds, fiber, and most of the flesh of baby pumpkins, make the soup, then serve it in the individual pumpkin cups.

I need to try and find seed for the kumi-kumi though, and try it your wat. Sounds like a great way to serve---rustic and elegant at the same time.
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2015 at 06:48
I could love that, especially with autumn approaching here in the States! 

Great job, Anne ~ thanks for sharing! Star
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
priya456 View Drop Down
Scullery Servant
Scullery Servant

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote priya456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2017 at 00:31
I LOVE kamokamo , although I didn;t ever see it around when I lived in Auckland but am enjoying it again back here in Hawkes Bay. 
I panfry slices of kamokamo in garlic butter and let them caramelise a bit and then sprinkle with parmesan and salt and peppper to serve. Delicious. I do chokos the same way
ghost
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic