Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Food Groups > Fats, Oils, Sauces, Sweets and Condiments
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Worcestershire sauce

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worcestershire sauce
    Posted: 01 December 2015 at 03:18
I recently came across a recipe for a clone of Lea and Perrin's worcestershire sauce from our own Gracoman.
It was at another forum that I frequent, and after reading it (and seeing the source which I trust implicitly) I made a batch the other day.
This sure does smell like the real deal...it's in the fridge now for a three week infusion before I strain and bottle it.

Here's the link to the original thread:

and the reipe:

And here's a link to a great source for bottles:

Go ahead...play with your food!
Sponsored Links

HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2015 at 08:14
The recipe looks good, Dave. But, typical of Saveur, it's resemblance to the original is strictly coincidental.

Saveur describes it as being "bigger and bolder" than the original. In fact, comparing ingredients, its really a different condiment. Other than the vinegar, tamerind, and anchovy (of which there's too little, in my ingredient), the ingredients are, essentially, different.

I suspect, due to the tamerind and anchovy, that there will be a similar flavor. But certainly not nearly the same.
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2015 at 19:13
I decided to make Worcestershire as part of my holiday gift package this year.  There are many online recipes to chose from but I went with the Saveur recipe because it used less anchovy.  Some use what I consider to be a boatload.

Just to clarify a few points.  This stuff is indeed bigger and bolder than Lea & Perrins.  It is also less refined, but there is no mistaking it for anything other than Worcestershire.  Lea & Perrin's is a fermented product that takes years to produce and has a tang that only fermentation can produce. This recipe takes 3 weeks and it delivers quite nicely. 

Here's an analogy for you.  If Lea & Perrins can be thought of as being produced by aristocrats in a castle using highly polished medical grade instruments, the Saveur recipe can be thought of as being produced in a logging camp by lumberjacks using hammers Wink 

That said, anyone would be happy you thought enough of them to gift this to them.

After tasting it right out of the bottle I was very happy.  A week or so later I used it as a steak sauce to give it a real test.  I thought it relied a little to heavily on the molasses (also in Lea & Perrins) so I cut it back a little and added malt vinegar which is another Lea & Perrins ingredient. I haven't tried this batch yet but I'm sure it will turn out well.

I got my bottles on Amazon.  These were $20.00 when I bought them.  The price seems to have skyrocketed on Amazon but I've seen them on other sites for what I paid.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002IT6X20?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2015 at 01:45
I tripled the anchovy on the first batch, and I'm sure I won't be sorry...I love those little devils.

Gman...you might want to check out that link for fillmore container....very reasonable prices.I paid $5.82 for a case of 12 8 ounce sauce bottles.
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2015 at 07:37
I saw that link and have bookmarked it.  Thanks!
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2015 at 09:16
I'd be interested to see a good recipe for fermented Worcestershire, if anyone has it. I did a little digging online but didn't come up with much. As soon as I clear a couple other projects off my plate I'm going to try this one, but I'd like so see how it stacks up to a fermented recipe, in terms of differences.
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
Hoser View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2015 at 04:05
Originally posted by pitrow pitrow wrote:

I'd be interested to see a good recipe for fermented Worcestershire, if anyone has it. I did a little digging online but didn't come up with much. As soon as I clear a couple other projects off my plate I'm going to try this one, but I'd like so see how it stacks up to a fermented recipe, in terms of differences.

I didn't have much luck on the fermentation search either Mike....if you find anything, I'd sure appreciate a heads-up.
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2015 at 11:04
I spent a fair amount of time digging at this again last night and this morning and still haven't found a fermented recipe. However looking at other fermented sauce recipes (like tabasco and fish sauce) it seems they basically just mix the ingredients up and let them sit for a period of time. Seems rather dangerous to me, in that whatever yeast/bacteria that come in naturally from the air and start the fermentation may not necessarily be producing things good for human consumption. 
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2015 at 20:54
   By not fermenting your Worcestershire Sauce, you may not be as bad off as you're thinking...especially if you're using a decent fermented soy sauce.  

https://youtu.be/TZznz1vs2sk

I write this as I drink a homemade green tea kombucha.  The other day I was enjoying some hard cider fermented with only the wild yeast from the unpasteurized local apples in the cider...it turned out great!.  I also make fresh sausage with the use of no nitrates.   When it comes to yeast and bacteria...I try to create the environment that will ensure my guys a victory.  But I'm still gonna take that fight and make the environment happen as best I can.

Enjoy The Food!
gracoman View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gracoman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2015 at 07:41
I don't know what any of this means but here ya go.
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2015 at 09:57
Originally posted by gracoman gracoman wrote:

the long and short of it is they used a wine yeast to ferment the worcestershire sauce in a fancy contraption and measured the resulting alcohol production. At least it's a starting point, using wine yeast.
Mike
pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2015 at 10:05
Originally posted by gonefishin gonefishin wrote:

By not fermenting your Worcestershire Sauce, you may not be as bad off as you're thinking...especially if you're using a decent fermented soy sauce.  

https://youtu.be/TZznz1vs2sk

I write this as I drink a homemade green tea kombucha.  The other day I was enjoying some hard cider fermented with only the wild yeast from the unpasteurized local apples in the cider...it turned out great!.  I also make fresh sausage with the use of no nitrates.   When it comes to yeast and bacteria...I try to create the environment that will ensure my guys a victory.  But I'm still gonna take that fight and make the environment happen as best I can.

awesome, thanks for the video. So what I'm gathering from that, is that pretty much only the anchovies are anywhere close to being "fermented".  The onion/garlic mixture in vinegar I would assume would be too acidic for anything to achieve fermentation. And it's possible that there's too much salt in the anchovy mixture for that to ferment either. Interesting.
Mike
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2015 at 14:15
   Pitrow, when I mentioned...by not fermenting your Worcestershire, you may not be that bad off...it was because you've got some great developed fermented flavors in your fermented soy sauce.  So you're still likely to get great depth of flavor adding on the flavors of Worcestershire.  I'm no expert in fermentation, my understanding is that with certain types of fermentation, such as lactic acid bacteria fermentation, a high salt level and low ph are both desirable.  It's desirable because other bacteria, that you don't want, are not tolerant to either salt or reduced ph levels.  It kind of weeds out the bad guys and produces a playing field where your team is a good favorite to win.
Enjoy The Food!
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2015 at 14:17
Originally posted by gracoman gracoman wrote:

Looks like you need to pay for the full version...thanks for the link though!
Enjoy The Food!
TasunkaWitko View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TasunkaWitko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2016 at 19:22
Dave and gMan - how did your batches turn out?

I like the idea of this, a lot. I'm always interested in sauces and condiments, and even though I always go back to the basics, it's wonderful to venture along the side roads.... Thumbs Up
If you are a visitor and like what you see, please click here and join the discussions in our community!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic