Foods of the World Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The US and Canada > Texas and the Southwest
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This site is completely supported by donations; there are no corporate sponsors. We would be honoured if you would consider a small donation, to be used exclusively for forum expenses.

Thank you, from the Foods of the World Forums!

Meat prices

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meat prices
    Posted: 08 December 2015 at 14:51
My wife is very picky about meat, chicken breast, ground beef and pork and lean sausage are about it.
So when I was at HEB yesterday , I was happy to see 80/20 ground pork on sale, $1.25 lb.
I picked up, 5 lb, all they had ground on hand.
So she now has 20 , 4oz patties ready to go.

Sponsored Links

pitrow View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pitrow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2015 at 16:25
nice!
Mike
Life in PitRow - My often neglected, somewhat eccentric, occasionally outstanding blog
drinks View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2015 at 14:43
Now, the local rip-em-off super has decided to offer boston butts, bone in , for $1 lb and boneless angus chuck roast for $2.99lb, so I shall have to put some in the freezer.
drinks View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2015 at 15:16
It gets even more weird, the local rip off place now has boneless pork loin, vac packed, $1.49 lb.and boneless beef chuck, $2.49 lb. plus chicken hind legs for .29c lb.
The freezer has some more room, but even it had limits and I can only eat so fast.
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2015 at 16:06
Hind legs, Drinks? I thought chickens only had two.

But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
drinks View Drop Down
Chef's Apprentice
Chef's Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drinks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2015 at 19:01
Front legs, aka buffalo wings.
HEB now has boston butt, 88c lb and boneless chuck at 1.99 lb.
I eat all I can and freeze the rest, per Blue Bell !
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2015 at 23:46
I can't help wading in here....
Because I have a problem.
My freezer can only hold 1 steer, 1 pig and 2 lambs with assorted poultry bits and frozen vegetable matter from the garden. LOL
This year the steer weighed in at 240kg, about 530 pounds, and the pig and two lambs arrived at the same time. I had to put two crates of beer on the freezer lid to keep it closed. Geek
The killing fee is $50(NZ) and I pay $1 p/kg to the butcher to cut up the carcass.
I think the average price per kilo is around $1.20.
Here is a link to a meat schedule, its interesting reading. Especially if you compare it to retail price.

So - I have about 0.8m³ of meat for $600NZ (about US$410) and that will last us a year.

Resident Peasant
HistoricFoodie View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HistoricFoodie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2015 at 05:41
So, what's the problem?
But we hae meat and we can eat
And sae the Lord be thanket
gonefishin View Drop Down
Master Chef
Master Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gonefishin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2015 at 05:53
Originally posted by HistoricFoodie HistoricFoodie wrote:

So, what's the problem?

The two crates of beer aren't cold

Enjoy The Food!
Effigy View Drop Down
Chef
Chef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Effigy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2015 at 16:28
Originally posted by HistoricFoodie HistoricFoodie wrote:

So, what's the problem?

There is no room in the freezer!
And the turkey was under the cow, pig and two sheep.
It took half an hour of unpacking and repacking to get it out for today.
Resident Peasant
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic